Windows Longhorn

fafalone

Has anyone had any experience with the alpha builds, I ask because a new build (M5/4015) has leaked out and I was thinking about installing it to a new HD. If anyone has any experience as to the stability, I'm trying to find out if it's at all usable before I put myself through the torture of finding a viable download option for it (P2P is out, no one has it, and IRC is a nightmare because no one can send faster than 3-4kb/s, and thats after numerous hours spent in the queue).

Well there has to be a point between them putting the start button itself into the interface structure, and writing the code behind it.

On the other hand it might be a cunning security feature.

Guest Richard

Microsoft won't ever come close with their vain attempts to make an operating system more stable than OSX or 9.2. Longhorn is all over EFNet and Traproot IRC, go find it on there and you're guaranteed faster pack speeds. I wouldn't mind, but Longhorn just sounds shit to me. Behold the lameness of their different-look-same-functionality OS

• 2 months later...
Guest Syntax

Microsoft Windows Longhorn is still under it's codename status, which is similar to the way XP was labeled `Whistler'. Microsoft spends more time working on anti-leak technology, than they do the actual OS as it is in this stage. MS Longhorn's newest builds are possible to get working, but it's not worth the effort, as the whole entire file-system is being code/tested as a seperate entity than NTFS/FAT(due to the .NET bullshit), which is why he said the start button doesn't work. The whole program group, and application execution is incomplete, and unimplemented.

Originally posted by Richard

Microsoft won't ever come close with their vain attempts to make an operating system more stable than OSX or 9.2.

You're either stuck back in the land of Windows ME or haven't used the same versions of OS9/X that I have.

Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

You're either stuck back in the land of Windows ME or haven't used the same versions of OS9/X that I have.

I've been using OS X for about a year now and I think the only time that it's ever crashed has been when I loaded a dodgy kernel module.

Originally posted by fafalone

Has anyone had any experience with the alpha builds, I ask because a new build (M5/4015) has leaked out and I was thinking about installing it to a new HD. If anyone has any experience as to the stability, I'm trying to find out if it's at all usable before I put myself through the torture of finding a viable download option for it (P2P is out, no one has it, and IRC is a nightmare because no one can send faster than 3-4kb/s, and thats after numerous hours spent in the queue).

Well it seems to run like an alpha. Not very optimized but still stable. IRC is pretty much the only reliable way to get it right now. Bit Torrent is better but I haven't found LongHorn on it yet.

Qriginally posted by Dave

I've been using OS X for about a year now and I think the only time that it's ever crashed has been when I loaded a dodgy kernel module.

Ever here of Windows 2000 Advanced Server? Or Windows 2000 Data Center? Or maybe even Windows XP? I have used them all and don't crash. I might get an error from a faulty app but don't blame that on the OS, it is always running smooth.

Originally posted by newbie

Ever here of Windows 2000 Advanced Server? Or Windows 2000 Data Center? Or maybe even Windows XP? I have used them all and don't crash. I might get an error from a faulty app but don't blame that on the OS, it is always running smooth.

What's your point then? I don't believe I was attacking the stability of any certain Microsoft products. I was merely pointing out that from my experience of OS X, it's an extremely stable client OS.

Originally posted by dave

It wouldn't surprise me. Microsoft at its best again ;)

Well reading that quote looks like you are "attacking the stability of any certain Microsoft products".

But if you are not then I apologize--please disregard my post.

Originally posted by newbie

Well reading that quote looks like you are "attacking the stability of any certain Microsoft products".

Then why quote my other post and not include this one?

I don't particularly like Microsoft (and may I say that the post was written with a certain amount of irony in mind - after all it is a beta), but I was simply trying to point out that in my experience OS X has been stable. There is no need to bite my head off for saying such a thing.

Originally posted by dave

Then why quote my other post and not include this one?

I don't particularly like Microsoft (and may I say that the post was written with a certain amount of irony in mind - after all it is a beta), but I was simply trying to point out that in my experience OS X has been stable. There is no need to bite my head off for saying such a thing.

I did not see the need to recap your posts. That is why I did not add the last quote. I saw sarcasm in the post, but like I said if I was wrong I am sorry--besides that it's alpha not beta. :D

I was not "biting your head off" I was just returning the sarcasm.

Originally posted by fafalone

Faf c'mon, an alpha by MS. The thing is worthless. I doubt it will even install properly.