A 14yr old kid, with a love of science is bored. Help him out for the love of Jeebus.

RedAlert

I've been trying to figure out a good way to re-create the double slit experiment. I recently bought a home theater projector and I thought that might work. I took a piece of paper and cut two vertical slits in it and shined a light through it -- no luck. Eventually (I think) I figured out (from reading online) that the light source has to be parallel (like a laser).

But I think I read somewhere that you can do it with a simple candle, if you can figure out how.

More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

An SFN discussion on the subject:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=242&highlight=double+slit

You said you like biology? Well, you'll love this....

Get a few fat Crawdads (crayfish where you are maybe?) a pair of fine scizzors, and tweezers. The rest should come naturally. What's tough (but really cool) is smoothly removing the carapace without killing it or causing too much organ damage.

Not for very long.

For less sadistic fun with Crawfish, keep them in a tank full of iron filings instead of sand, and wait for them to molt. Then wave a strong magnet around and watch what happens. Try to explain it.

Mokele

you can have a live crawfish without a shell?
The carapace is only the fused shell of the "back" and head. You can cut a nice window into his "torso" without doing too much direct damage. But as Mokele said, he won't last long, though I had one pull through for over 24 hours.

And besides, around here they're invasive pests and a threat to the welfare of Arizona's aquatic life. It's my duty as a State-Loving Arizonan to dispose of the critters. Nothing sadistic about it. Kittens would qualify me for sadistic, not crawdads. I consider it healthy eccentricity coupled with youthful curiosity. Dammit Mokele, now I have to take the time to do your thing.

one of my childhood favorites was making an electric motor, all you need is a couple of magnets a large paperclip, some magnet wire a little hookup wire, a peice of wood to mount it on and a 6 volt lantern battery, during one summer holliday I built dozens of them, trying to "perfect" my designs.

a simple Radio is also fun, and quite easy to make :)

Hmm....sonoluminescence....what are it's possible applications in real life?

I can make a radio, I have already done that. I have not tried making a motor, something I could try to do in my pastime.

Does anyone know how to make a radio transmitter? A simple one of course. :)

As for mutiliating crawfish........:shudders: I am not that type

Hackaday is awesome!!!!!!

Thankyou all so much for your help. I am filled with things to do at the moment now. Again I thank you very much for your help. :)

Hmm....sonoluminescence....what are it's possible applications in real life?

Who cares, it's still cool! Some of the advances that have generated huge numbers of applications were just "knowledge for the sake of knowledge" when they were first pursued.

Mokele