Is America becoming a third world country?

Willie71

I have a simple question for Willie from a fellow Canadian...

If Canada is such a better place than the US.

Or alternately, if the US is becoming 'third world' compared to us Canadians "'turning it around'.

Why do so many immigrants that come to Canada get cought trying to sneak into the US ?

Hardly any from the US get cought sneaking into Canada.

( and its not because of our incompetent border security )

I would need to see the numbers. Do they have relatives in the states? What are the disclosed motivations?

Secondly, the US has a reputation that doesn't match reality. Watch Reagan's "morning in America" ad, then listen to the news about immigrants. Stark difference.

No they usually go across on boats or the railroad bridge.

( you'd have to be pretty brave to attempt coming back across the railway bridge, over the Niagara Gorge, after getting drunk on cheap ( our booze is taxed to death ) American liquor and beer. So they must be planning to stay. )

And sure, I agree Willie, the US is still seen as a land of opportunity to the rest of the World.

Edited by MigL

I have a simple question for Willie from a fellow Canadian...

If Canada is such a better place than the US.

Or alternately, if the US is becoming 'third world' compared to us Canadians "'turning it around'.

Why do so many immigrants that come to Canada get cought trying to sneak into the US ?

Hardly any from the US get cought sneaking into Canada.

( and its not because of our incompetent border security )

Well, when the economy tanked quite a few tried to go to Canada via USA. It has to be said that being attractive as an immigration destination depends a lot of different factors, including regional opportunities. The United Ara Emirates have one of the highest percentages of immigrants within their population (over 80%), though it is known that many consist of cheap labour that are often abused. Comparing Canada with USA we see that about 20% of Canadians are immigrants vs 14% in the USA (roughly the same as in Spain). So not a huge difference there. One limitation is that Canada has probably fewer regions with growth opportunities due to the sheer size of the country relative to the population.

Oh, I thought it was the cheap booze.

But seriously, sure there are myriad other factors, but the US is still the land of opportunity.

I love Canada, but I've visited the US many times before my passport expired ( I remember only needing a driver's licence ) and I'd have no trouble whatsoever living in the US.

Some things are different, but the people are very much alike.

It has a long way to fall before it becomes a third world country.

And sure, there is a huge wealth disparity. But the wealth disparity of the 330 million Americans isn't even comparable to the wealth disparity of 1.6 billion Chinese where the largest number of billionaires can be found, along with the largest number of people living on $5 per day ( Its GINI index surpassed the US in 2014, but it affects 5x as many people ). When are we gonna have an OP about China's record and its status as a third world country ?

( i.e. when do we stop picking on the US )

Edited by MigL