Should there be a minimum age for watching TV etc?

studiot

I heard the story about the exam grades and television.

I have yet to hear how they distinguished cause from effect.

With the best will in the world, you have to accept that some kids just are not going to get very good grades because they are just not built that way.

Could it be that these, less able, kids are going to spend more time watching TV while their more gifted counterparts are,for example, reading books or playing football?

In due course, they will be the ones who get poorer grades, but it wont be because they watched telly.

"An extra hour a day of television, internet or computer game time in Year 10 is linked to poorer grades at GCSE, a Cambridge University study suggests. "

Premature assumption.

It depends on what else kid would be doing instead of watching TV/monitor of computer.

Also watching f.e. MTV/cartoons versus watching Discovery Science, Animal Planet etc. channels..

Just because they aren't watching TV doesn't mean they're doing something that will improve their grades, etc, as others have pointed out. They could simply be sleeping.

I'd be more interested in the correlation between children's grades and parental involvement in their education.