Astronomy word game.

REFLECTION NEBULA

A reflection nebula is a nebula that glows as the dust in it reflects the light of nearby stars. These nebulae are frequently bluish in color because blue light is more efficiently reflected than red light. A reflection nebula surrounds the Pleiades Star Cluster.

Edited by Mordred

YLEM

Ylem (or Yelm) is the name given to the hypothetical primordial matter from which all the elements have formed. George Gamow proposed the existence of ylem.

fair enough I originally had this, but editted it as we went off y for various galaxy names.

Yohkoh (sunbeam) A Japanese satellite launched in August 1991 designed to study the dynamics, energetics, and morphology of solar flares.

(Went through the thread noticed Acme already used the above)

Nova- a star that flares up to several times its original brightness for some time before returning to its original state

(I can't believe we haven't used this,but it doesn't show up in search)

(We also seem to be drifting away from astronomy and cosmology and into particle physics...I'm just sayin...)

Edited by ACG52

Am star-is a chemically peculiar star belonging to the more general class of A-type stars. The spectrum of the Am stars shows abnormal enhancements and deficiencies of certain metals

(PS particle physics is a primary field of science in Cosmology, one thing I learned Cosmology involves all forms of physics and in many applications chemistry) which explains why I studied high energy particle physics

Edited by Mordred

Particle physics could be said to be a primary field of all science. 😄

Not so much in everyday applications, in Cosmology and GUT it's essential, good example is causes of expansion and CMB measurements, also Big bang nucleosynthesis Edited by Mordred

Regulus -is the brightest star in the constellation Leo and one of the brightest stars in the night sky, lying approximately 79 light years from Earth. Regulus is a multiple star system composed of four stars that are organized into two pairs.

(Can't believe I haven't used this one either)

Edited by ACG52

Evolutionary track is a curve on the HertzsprungRussell diagram that a solitary star, of a particular mass and composition, is expected to follow during the course of its evolution. This curve predicts the combination of temperature and luminosity that a star will have during part or all of its lifetime

(Sleep tight)

Edited by Mordred