Jump to content
sabretooth

question and theory: can ozone from ozone generators cause plastic to give off hydrogen chloride gas for months after use?

Recommended Posts

OK I'm not much of a scientist but thought this would be a good site to ask what other peoples thoughts are on what ozone from ozone generators does to plastic and sorry ahead of time if I posted this in the wrong forum. Basically I used an ozone generator in my car not thinking anything could go wrong since the only warnings that came with the generator was not to be around it while it's on and then properly ventilate the area after and that they are safe to use indoors and in a car to get rid of tobacco smells and other things like killing mould, but now I strongly, strongly believe the ozone has caused some kind of reaction with the plastic in my car and even on my phone, jacket and shoes causing some toxic offgassing. I know this might sound crazy but I am positive in my mind that this has happened and have read online that ozone can degrade plastic and cause VOC's and offgassing to emit after an ozone generator has been used in a home. So basically I wanted to ask what could this stuff be and could it be hydrogen chloride gas? because whatever is coming off my phone really burns my eyes, ears and skin and after doing research I'm starting to really think this is hydrogen chloride gas by the burning feeling that I'm getting and this is months after using the generator once in my car. I also wanted to know if there is a laboratory I might be able to send my phone to so I could find out if my theory is correct. If anyone can chime in with any idea's I would greatly appreciate it and I can answer any question's about my experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone at least know of a labroratory I'd be able to send my phone to so I could find out exactly what these toxic fumes are that are coming from my phone since using that ozone air purifier or a way I'd be able to test the car or my phone myself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corrosion of commercial coatings and plastics is a highly complex chemical process, especially oxidative damage which is what ozone is likely to cause. Commercial plastics are very complicated mixtures of resin systems, additives, pigments, etc. There are entire fields and journals devoted to studying the corrosion of these materials.

 

This answer may not be helpful as there are many different polymeric materials on the inside of your car and each will interact differently with ozone. I would not be surprised if some of those materials have begun to off-gas degradation products from ozone attack. No idea if any HCl gas would be present but there is always potential where there are chlorinated materials depending on what they're exposed to.

 

If the problem is that bad I'd stop generating ozone in the car, ventilate it thoroughly, and get a new phone. Purchasing analytical lab work is expensive and REALLY expensive if you give them an open ended project like "my phone burns my face...why?".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit of damp universal indicator paper in a zip-lock bag with your 'phone would show if HCl was being formed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the posts guys and String I did read that factsheet before and have come to the conclusion these ozone air purifiers are a big scam in my opinion . Trust me mississippichem no more ozone for me I only ran it in my car once and will never do that again. What seemed strange about this ozone stuff is that the car seemed to smell toxic after the temperature dropped as if the cold started the reaction or it could just be coincidence and this was two months after I ran the thing. The car's been parked since then and you couldn't pay me enough to go back in there. This damp indicator paper test for my phone is there something I should look for after I put it in a zip-lock?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the posts guys and String I did read that factsheet before and have come to the conclusion these ozone air purifiers are a big scam in my opinion . Trust me mississippichem no more ozone for me I only ran it in my car once and will never do that again. What seemed strange about this ozone stuff is that the car seemed to smell toxic after the temperature dropped as if the cold started the reaction or it could just be coincidence and this was two months after I ran the thing. The car's been parked since then and you couldn't pay me enough to go back in there. This damp indicator paper test for my phone is there something I should look for after I put it in a zip-lock?

It'll have a graduated colour chart with it which you match the result to and gauge the pH. Less than 7 is acidic and more than 7 is alkaline. Plain water ia about 7. HCL is strongly acidic.

Edited by StringJunky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"or it could just be coincidence and this was two months after I ran the thing. "

It's a coincidence. Reactions don't wait months then suddenly start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reactions don't wait months then suddenly start.

 

This is certainly wrong statement. Oversimplified at least.

 

If reaction requires certain temperature (and/or pressure) and we will mix substances f.e. at "wrong" temperature f.e. in winter at -10 C, reaction won't be occurring, or it'll be very slowly occurring.

Then in summer there will be 30 C, reaction will be taking place. Because exceeded required threshold temperature.

 

Another example, reaction that happens (or not happens) at certain pH, or reaction which is changing pH in middle, or reaction which is occurring when there is certain concentration.

At the beginning we have plentiful of water in solution, it vaporize with time (with variable temperature of environment like in winter-summer this is even harder to estimate), and changing concentration..

 

I need to wait week or two for making Cu2(OH)2CO3 for instance..

post-100882-0-17339600-1435865363_thumb.png

(photo taken after getting rid of water of course)

 

For such delayed and slow reactions, I am even using timelapse recording in digital camera, and taking photo every second, minute or hour, and making video.

There were cases when hours and hours nothing happened, and then sudden change in a couple of seconds..

Edited by Sensei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.