What is the main difference between Bio and Organic?

What do u mean by organic? Any food has to be organic.

And what do u mean by bio?any vegetable has to be of biological origin.

Some foods are labelled bio-organic; but bio already implies it is organic or vice-versa right?

There may also be some confusion over "bio" vs "organic" because, in many European languages, the translation of "organic" (in this sense) is biologique or similar. So, often, "bio" and "organic" mean the same thing.

Edited by Strange

Context is important here. If I'm discussing chemistry and I use the word organic, it has a different use than when I see organic on my food's packaging.

Some foods are labelled bio-organic; but bio already implies it is organic or vice-versa right?

I haven't seen that label yet, but there are efforts to define some areas of overlap between biochemistry and organic chemistry as bioorganic. It seems to imply that the food was grown using chemical methods that help us study their impact on biological processes. I'm not sure what those might be.

It could be marketing hype when used on food labels. It sounds like a new buzzword for something they were probably already doing, but can now make it sound better and smarter.

"Bio" and "Organic", within the definition, and requirements to qualify as such, of the EEC are the same. Member countries use one or the other, as is their tradition. If a product contains both names ii is so any member can understand and is likely simultaneously sold in different markets that use either description. "Eco" is another one that has similar requirements.

Edited by StringJunky