Universal Solution for Heroin Addiction

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd want to be knocked out for a week straight while my body withdrew :P

what exactly are you asking for? "my" universal solution? if its universal, wouldn't it be everyone's?

= misunderstanding something

I've had occasion to know several ex-heroine addicts and I think (for right or wrong) what helped the quit was one of three things

a)God (one guy I know is very religious now and he's 100% clean he dosent smoke, he never went to rehab, he just went for Jesus and quit)

b)Methadone (one guy I know is on Methadone he's about 40 or so and he's been on it for 12 years now)

c)Rehab

I think the smoking of cigarettes actually did help the Rehab and Methadone guys for right or wrong it did give them some degree of relief I assume.

Opiates are terrible... there is no 'universal' to quit them... it's a life/death struggle and the people I know all seem a little nuts (the religious guy somehow 'snapped' to quit he says)

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by blike

I'd want to be knocked out for a week straight while my body withdrew :P

what exactly are you asking for? "my" universal solution? if its universal, wouldn't it be everyone's?

= misunderstanding something

Are you an addict? Or are you speaking hypothetically?

Originally posted by Hitman47

I need your point of view on this. What would be your universal solution for Heroin addiction?

My answer would have to be make it treatment options more accessable to addicts. In other words, get rid of the clinic system (which can be dehumanizing thus addicts are reluctant to seek help there, furthermore they need to attend daily to get their meds which not fesible to alot of addicts). It should be treated in a regular doctor office system were privacy is key, and you addicts are treated with more respect and more convienantly. There are office based options out there now with the advent of Buprenorphine an opiate agonist/ant agonist drug which can be dispensed through doctors who have gotten their certification to do so. It is a little pricey but it is another human option for the addict.

stopping production of heroin would be the best solution. i don't know if it can be done but i know we can at least put a dent in the production. it might be hard on the rehabilitation part of it.

another solution (although not a good one, in fact a terrible one) would be to bring about another drug that is better. drugs suck. never touched em.

Originally posted by SS

My answer would have to be make it treatment options more accessable to addicts. In other words, get rid of the clinic system (which can be dehumanizing thus addicts are reluctant to seek help there, furthermore they need to attend daily to get their meds which not fesible to alot of addicts). It should be treated in a regular doctor office system were privacy is key, and you addicts are treated with more respect and more convienantly. There are office based options out there now with the advent of Buprenorphine an opiate agonist/ant agonist drug which can be dispensed through doctors who have gotten their certification to do so. It is a little pricey but it is another human option for the addict.

I don't think we need to change treatment to cater to the convenience or fragile ego's of junkies. They are not victims. They are where they are because of poor choices. Let it be inconvenient and demoralizing for them. Let them earn it! It's bad enough they leach off the system as it is. My tax money could be better spent!

I doubt that I am the only person who feels this way. I will admit though, mine may be a more American view, and a right wing one at that. I find it appalling that people, such as junkies and those that are on unemployment, have the audacity to criticize government programs that are there to help them. It is never "enough" for them, nor is it ever convenient enough for them. Programs such as these should be such that people don't want to take part in them for any longer than they absolutely have to. Otherwise, why would anyone ever strive to become independent of them? Programs such as these need to be strict so that people cannot abuse them as has been done in the past. Bottom line, the old cliche'...beggers can't be choosers!

I find my point of view the "human" one. People need to be more open minded on this issue. The problem exists, period. There is no way heroin will be wiped off the planet, face it, deal with it. And one way to deal with the problem is what I have outlined above. Just my point of view, of course. I certainly didn't mean to rattle anyones cage.. loosen up huh? <>< Peace

The difficulty seems to be is in staying off heroin rather than quitting. The few ex-users I have known had previously quit several times and then gone back to it. To stay off heroin you really need to get away from the other users you know, dealers, the whole culture itself, and start your life over.

Originally posted by Hitman47

I need your point of view on this. What would be your universal solution for Heroin addiction?

First off using the word solution implies there is a problem with heroin addiction.

What is the problem? A person chooses to take heroin every single time they take it.

So are you trying to take away someones choice of what to do and force them to do what you want them to do?

Heroin isn't a problem.

Heroin is a problem.

It is a very costly drug and the effects of the "high" diminish each time it is used - the drug user therefore needs more of the drug to get high next time until they eventually end up with a very expensive habit (unless they undergo regular voluntary withdrawal to reduce the cost).

Where do they get this money from? You can't support a £100 daily habit with a normal job - that's why so many heroin addicts turn to crime to support their habit (but there is a lucky few who have jobs that pay well enough to support their habit - and they can lead relatively normal lives).

There is also the problem of using old or dirty needles to inject the drug - this can spread HIV, hepatitis and a host of other diseases between users. These discarded needles can also injure children, animals and the poor bastards who have to clean them up.

Admittedly, heroin does not cause so much internal damage as something like alcohol and the effects of withdrawal are unpleasant, but there is also risk of overdose, disease and, of course, being caught and facing a hefty spell in prison.

It's for this reason that the NHS in the UK is proposing to give heroin addicts free hygenic needles and a free heroin-like substance. This is certainly a step in the right direction and may even be a definite solution - remove the cost of the habit, make it hygenic and thereby reduce all of the anti-social and even deadly symptoms that associate use of the drug.

Ok let's take a look at this nonsensical response.

Heroine is costly and has diminishing effects each time it is taken. So what.

This has nothing to do with it being a problem at all whatsoever. If someone ends up with a habit that is beyond their budget they can very willfully STOP the habit. It's their choice - and yes they absolutely 100% have the choice, thus it isn't a problem at all.

No one HAS to use old dirty needles, thus these are NOT a problem involving heroine.

No one HAS to rob someone to get money for heroin.

You see you're taking the same unintelligent position that these drug war nazis take.

In reality none of these things have anything to do with heroin, they all occur regardless of heroin, and heroin can occur without them.

So you have failed to say anything to back up your claim. In the future don't waste peoples time with this! Give evidence to back up your claim.

Originally posted by Kettle

Heroin is a problem.

It is a very costly drug and the effects of the "high" diminish each time it is used - the drug user therefore needs more of the drug to get high next time until they eventually end up with a very expensive habit (unless they undergo regular voluntary withdrawal to reduce the cost).

Where do they get this money from? You can't support a £100 daily habit with a normal job - that's why so many heroin addicts turn to crime to support their habit (but there is a lucky few who have jobs that pay well enough to support their habit - and they can lead relatively normal lives).

There is also the problem of using old or dirty needles to inject the drug - this can spread HIV, hepatitis and a host of other diseases between users. These discarded needles can also injure children, animals and the poor bastards who have to clean them up.

Admittedly, heroin does not cause so much internal damage as something like alcohol and the effects of withdrawal are unpleasant, but there is also risk of overdose, disease and, of course, being caught and facing a hefty spell in prison.

It's for this reason that the NHS in the UK is proposing to give heroin addicts free hygenic needles and a free heroin-like substance. This is certainly a step in the right direction and may even be a definite solution - remove the cost of the habit, make it hygenic and thereby reduce all of the anti-social and even deadly symptoms that associate use of the drug.

I agree that heroin is, in itself, not a problem per se but the problematic effects of addiction, if it is not controlled, are well evidenced.

Let me relay to you a little bit of my personal history. I was merrily walking through London one sunny afternoon, a guy literally jumps me from an alley - puts a hyperdermic needle to my throat, tells me it's infected with AIDS and demands anything I have of value otherwise he'll stick me with it. Naturally I obliged. Police later traced him to a half-way house for heroin addicts. A very traumatic experience (so please don't take advantage of my honesty - thanks).

I'm not sure where you live, but here in London heroin is a huge problem - particularly amongst the destitute and homeless. They leave used needles in doorways and have a high rate of infections and overdose. True - they don't have to leave needles lying around etc but, like it or not, they do and someone else puts themselves at risk to clean it up. Here in the UK, there are some inner city areas where needles are regularly left in children's playgrounds, public toilets and public parks - pretty grim. Would these needles be left lying around if these people weren't injecting?

The evidence I have for this is from simply living in London and observing the world around me - that's all.

If someone else wants to take heroin then fine - just don't put other peope at risk.

(Intelligence - why all the personal attacks and insults? I'm just giving an opinion and my own side of the debate - I'm not saying that I'm right and you're wrong :confused: )

Me thinks, Mr. Kettle, that this man's criminality is more the issue than his addiction. Whatever his need be, whether it is drugs or food, he resorts to violence to obtain it. Many more addicts obtain their drugs without harming anybody except maybe themselves. The programs that are now in place to help addicts are sufficient. Getting the addict to adhere to the "rules" is the hard part. Aside of putting the addict in jail, where he may still be able to have access to drugs sadly, there isn't much more that can be done. The tools are there for the addict. He only need use them. BTW, sorry to hear about this traumatic event. You've every right to be angry. It is unfortunate that people can actually be so consumed by addiction that they lose interest in everything from personal hygiene to eating to sex. Once they begin putting others at risk, either directly by violence or by leaving dirty needles about, they should be removed from society. I don't favor laws that protect us from ourselves, persay, but when someone proves to be a detriment to society we should not hesitate to remove them.