How can Human Beings Be So Cruel To Other Human Beings (Split From Canadians & Aliens)

Ant Sinclair

But why would you hate them for it? What is the advantage?

Can you give an example?

Dictators, Donald Trump, etc.

I hate them because it is in my nature to do so. It is my nature to do so because in a natural environment, without artificial restraints, the hate would increase my likelyhood of reproduction.

That is absolutely, worth the price of my latest irony meter.

Perhaps I should have been more clear.

Hate, when not spawned from love, is damaging, but acceptably so. Does not gasoline explode in an engine, slowly damaging the engine? But this damage is miniscule and acceptable.

When love turns into a hate, it becomes a more toxic form of hate that is more damaging than regular hate.

Edited by quickquestion

Dictators, Donald Trump, etc.

Thank you for making my point. I prefer not to have those. If people would have less hate, Trump would never have been elected.

Not all dictators necessarily use hate though. Not all of them rely on voters to hate a specific demographic to get elected. Not all of them cause deliberate harm to (part of) their population, and even those that do might not hate those they harm. It is sufficient to be indifferent.

This sounds like an advert; are you trying to sell hate?

Pretty much, yes.

Thank you for making my point. I prefer not to have those. If people would have less hate, Trump would never have been elected.

Not all dictators necessarily use hate though. Not all of them rely on voters to hate a specific demographic to get elected. Not all of them cause deliberate harm to (part of) their population, and even those that do might not hate those they harm. It is sufficient to be indifferent.

My problem with Liberals is, liberals do hate, but they hate in the wrong way, they don't hate in the manner I desire. It's like anarchists on anarchist memes...I don't like the style of their anarchy, it feels fake to me.

You are quite picky about your hate...

It's like, people will post on facebook that they hate society, or something, but if someone physically attacks someone because they hate society, then people lose their minds and go crazy, demanding for society to punish this person.

Edited by quickquestion

It's like, people will post on facebook that they hate society, or something, but if someone physically attacks someone because they hate society, then people lose their minds and go crazy, demanding for society to punish this person.

What's wrong with that?

I don't like strawberry sorbet, but if someone attacks another person because they are eating strawberry sorbet, I expect them to be treated the same way as anyone else who exhibits such disruptive behaviour. It is not because I don't like something that I think that is a good reason to start attacking people.

Likewise, it is not because people hate society that they condone randomly attacking other people for it.

What's wrong with that?

I don't like strawberry sorbet, but if someone attacks another person because they are eating strawberry sorbet, I expect them to be treated the same way as anyone else who exhibits such disruptive behaviour. It is not because I don't like something that I think that is a good reason to start attacking people.

Likewise, it is not because people hate society that they condone randomly attacking other people for it.

Blocking is censorship. As civilized members of society we say "We do not condone violence, because it is a way of censoring intellectual debate and discussion."

So...why say violence is wrong, if blocking is allowed? If people on Facebook are free to censor intellectual debate and discussion, then how is that much difference than violence. Both are uncivilized. Blocking is just a method for the weak to be as uncivilized as the strong.

If I block you, it's because I want to stop reading the BS you spout, it doesn't stop anyone else reading it, how is that censorship or violence?

Because the point of the kind of violence we are discussing, is to silence someone's views.

Or to overpower or hurt someone.

Thus violence is no less civilized than Facebook.

Because the point of the kind of violence we are discussing, is to silence someone's views.

Or to overpower or hurt someone.

Thus violence is no less civilized than Facebook.

That's some tortured thinking, I bet it hurt more than my block (that you didn't know about).

Blocking is censorship. As civilized members of society we say "We do not condone violence, because it is a way of censoring intellectual debate and discussion."

So...why say violence is wrong, if blocking is allowed? If people on Facebook are free to censor intellectual debate and discussion, then how is that much difference than violence. Both are uncivilized. Blocking is just a method for the weak to be as uncivilized as the strong.

Nonsense. Why shouldn't Facebook users filter the stream of info to get more quickly to things that interest them.

If I don't like someone, I don't have to invite them in my home and listen to them.

If you think people block you to hurt or censor you, you are too selfcentered.

Edited by Bender

Nonsense. Why shouldn't Facebook users filter the stream of info to get more quickly to things that interest them.

If I don't like someone, I don't have to invite them in my home and listen to them.

If you think people block you to hurt or censor you, you are too selfcentered.

Because if the whole world thinks the world is their "home", they act like Mommy and Daddy and you have to follow their rules.

Who does?

Facebook is a company and, within legal boundaries, can decide what happens on their servers.

If you don't like that, host your own server, or rent one, or find one that suits your purpose.

Who does?

Facebook is a company and, within legal boundaries, can decide what happens on their servers.

If you don't like that, host your own server, or rent one, or find one that suits your purpose.

Many FB employees are hired overseas with no knowledge of human customs. Getting blocked on it is rarely a fair trial, its basically a race to the report button to see who they randomly decide is in the wrong.

Your argument that I should make my own Facebook is ridiculous, and would have no chance and would be wasting my time.

It would be like someone complaining about Hollywood, and then they say "make your own hollywood."

Many FB employees are hired overseas with no knowledge of human customs. ...

Cos those abroad don't have customs or aren't human??

Your argument that I should make my own Facebook is ridiculous, and would have no chance and would be wasting my time.

The argument is more complex than that - to set up a presence on the net which is not constrained by rules is not trivial, but one which is constrained to a very small degree is a piece of cake. To join such a community is easy as pie.

It would be like someone complaining about Hollywood, and then they say "make your own hollywood."

No it is like saying "make your own films" - and I think you will find an amazingly high proportion of creative beginnings are cued by someone thinking or saying "Damn - I can do better than that!" and then someone (often themselves) replying "Go On Then!" and they do.

Either work within constraints which others have set in their own domains - or branch out and experiment with your own personal ideas. But coming into someone's house/domain/website/etc and immediately moaning that the rules are wrong, that one is being oppressed, that the system is biased, or any of a host of other moans is just anti-social.

Cos those abroad don't have customs or aren't human??

The argument is more complex than that - to set up a presence on the net which is not constrained by rules is not trivial, but one which is constrained to a very small degree is a piece of cake. To join such a community is easy as pie.

No it is like saying "make your own films" - and I think you will find an amazingly high proportion of creative beginnings are cued by someone thinking or saying "Damn - I can do better than that!" and then someone (often themselves) replying "Go On Then!" and they do.

Either work within constraints which others have set in their own domains - or branch out and experiment with your own personal ideas. But coming into someone's house/domain/website/etc and immediately moaning that the rules are wrong, that one is being oppressed, that the system is biased, or any of a host of other moans is just anti-social.

And how is anti-social a bad thing.

And joining a community with may be easy as pie but what is not easy is joining a community that has as many people on it as Facebook.

And how is anti-social a bad thing.

And joining a community with may be easy as pie but what is not easy is joining a community that has as many people on it as Facebook.

You ask that on a science forum? This is a community; act in an anti-social way and we will kick you out. We are social agents; man is a political animal and the polis is the city, the civilization, the state of being part of a community.

Yes - Facebook is large; but how many (real) people of the untold millions (actually) read the posts of Joseph A Bloggs? It's about 26 on average if memory serves; far more people here read your posts. On some internet fora - the really busy ones - average post read is well into the hundreds. Facebook cannot be a community because it is near universal - smaller forums can be a community because there is a unity of purpose or interest

You ask that on a science forum? This is a community; act in an anti-social way and we will kick you out. We are social agents; man is a political animal and the polis is the city, the civilization, the state of being part of a community.

Yes - Facebook is large; but how many (real) people of the untold millions (actually) read the posts of Joseph A Bloggs? It's about 26 on average if memory serves; far more people here read your posts. On some internet fora - the really busy ones - average post read is well into the hundreds. Facebook cannot be a community because it is near universal - smaller forums can be a community because there is a unity of purpose or interest

I have no problem with science forums.

What I have a problem is with Facebook and the style of community it promotes.

Yet you insist on wasting other peoples time.

If someone does not care about what you have to say, and is not going to read any of it, why do you insist on having it show up on his screen?

I have no problem with science forums.

What I have a problem is with Facebook and the style of community it promotes.

Then why participate? I don't like Facebook either. I visit it once every couple of months for the off chance somebody sent me a message.

Yet you insist on wasting other peoples time.

If someone does not care about what you have to say, and is not going to read any of it, why do you insist on having it show up on his screen?

Then why participate? I don't like Facebook either. I visit it once every couple of months for the off chance somebody sent me a message.

That is why I visit too. But noone ever sends me a message. And I am nothing but nice to them.