Atoms

fiveworlds

If I have multiple atoms each with the same number of protons but composed of different elementary particles are they the same?

Nucleus which has the same quantity of protons, but different mass (because it has different quantity of neutrons), is called isotope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotope

Answer whether chemical properties are the same, depends on which element isotope you have in mind.

for instance drinking exclusively heavy water D2O causes death of the most of mammals within a week or so.

Edited by Sensei

If I have multiple atoms each with the same number of protons but composed of different elementary particles are they the same?

What different elementary particles did you have in mind? If they don't form protons and neutrons, then it's tough to call them atoms.

What different elementary particles did you have in mind? If they don't form protons and neutrons, then it's tough to call them atoms.

I don't know if you would call them protons though that's the thing. All I got for protons were composed of up,up,down quarks for an overall charge of +1. However the top,top,bottom quarks have the same charge and so would charmed,charmed,strange etc. One video said that any other than uud was unstable.

I don't know if you would call them protons though that's the thing. All I got for protons were composed of up,up,down quarks for an overall charge of +1. However the top,top,bottom quarks have the same charge and so would charmed,charmed,strange etc. One video said that any other than uud was unstable.

Yes, that's true. Any particles comprised of these other quarks have exceedingly short lifetimes. The only one that has a relatively long lifetime is if you have udd; the energy difference is small and it lasts around 15 min on average. That's a neutron. You can keep it around longer if you put it in a bound state with some protons and other neutrons such that it doesn't have an available lower-energy state. Then it can't decay.

Other three-quark combinations (baryons) have names (pairs have names, too; those are mesons)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_baryons

People have succeeded in replacing one nucleon with a baryon that has a strange quark in it (those last the longest), known as a hyperon, to make a hypernucleus, but I don't know if they have been able to look at its atom-like behavior or do chemistry with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypernucleus