Area 51 and voters

ydoaPs

Would revealing the secret behind Area 51 help a president get reelected.  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would revealing the secret behind Area 51 help a president get reelected.

• Yes
    • No
    • Wouldn't matter
    • He would be assassinated before he could
    • IDK

each year, the president of the United States of America has to renew the classified status of Area 51. If he were to not renew it and were to tell the whole world what secret crap they were working on (or make easily available through freedom of info), would that make him more or less likely to get reelected?

note: this thread is not to debate what goes on in area 51

i am not sure. some people would vote for him/her because he/she is honest, but some people might be pissed at him/her for telling the secret. some dedicated air fore guy may put a bullet in the president's head before he could tell.

The question is not whether a nation's leadership keeps secrets, but whether or not it acts responsibly. I certainly don't need to know what my neighbor's tax return said, or the identities of American undercover operatives in Baghdad.

And I see no particular reason why new technology has to be developed directly under the public eye just because much of the world is paranoid about American leadership, especially when that paranoia derives more from fiction than reality.

fiction? they ARE testing SOMETHING that is advanced. that is a fact. they are VERY paranoid with their security. that is a fact. bob lazar is a liar. that is a fact. the rest is speculation.

edit: it isn't whether it would influence your vote, it is would it influence the voters in general. some people vote the way they do for stupid reasons. example: many women voted for Kennedy because they liked the way he looked.

fiction? they ARE testing SOMETHING that is advanced. that is a fact.

You know what they've tested there? The U2, the SR-71, both Stealths, and a host of other secret aircraft (some undoubtedly still classified). None of those have been made with the help of little green men.

That's the "fiction" part: the idea that we need little green men to produce nifty machines, as opposed to simple engineering know-how.

IMHO, these things are a secret for a *reason*. You don't hand your enemies details of your battle-plan the day before battle.

Mokele

You know what they've tested there? The U2' date=' the SR-71, both Stealths, and a host of other secret aircraft (some undoubtedly still classified). None of those have been made with the help of little green men.

That's the "fiction" part: the idea that we need little green men to produce nifty machines, as opposed to simple engineering know-how.

IMHO, these things are a secret for a *reason*. You don't hand your enemies details of your battle-plan the day before battle.

Mokele[/quote']

Actually, If the government is really smart, area 51 is mainly a decoy while the really big stuff is being worked on somewhere else. :rolleyes:

Actually, If the government is really smart, area 51 is mainly a decoy while the really big stuff is being worked on somewhere else.

Yes, but this is the government we're talking about, so that pretty much rules out 'smart'. ;)

did anyone read that? i'll add some empasis

Read and ignored, because without what's going on inside being a factor, the entire topic is totally useless.

Whether what *actually* goes on in Area 51 is weather-baloon stuff, secret airplanes, or little green men makes a *huge* diffence in whether or not those activities should be revealed.

"Is the secrecy vital to the security of the nation?" depends *entirely* upon what goes on inside. No other factor is truly relevant, other than vague ehtical ramblings about honesty which can *clearly* be overruled by security concerns.

In short, the biggest and, IMHO, *only* relevant question about the continuation of secrecy in Area 51 depends *directly* on the activities within that base. To remove that from consideration in debate on this topic effectively reduces it to nothing but trite fluff to inflate post-counts.

Mokele

fiction? they ARE testing SOMETHING that is advanced. that is a fact. they are VERY paranoid with their security. that is a fact. bob lazar is a liar. that is a fact. the rest is speculation.

Then what's the problem? You've clearly filled in all the blanks yourself, so what further revelations (from the government) are necessary?

(chuckle)

ok, you want what we KNOW goes on in area 51

here is what I KNOW:

U-2, SR-71, F-117, B-2 were all tested there

area 51 is more active than ever

bob lazar is a liar

everything else is speculation. i really doubt any aliens are there. i do think the government encourages the ufo crap to hide what they are really doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Revealing what goes on at Area 51 might make a president really popular with the public but in Washington he wouldn't have any allies. I think the tradeoff wouldn't really help him that much in the long run.

Revealing what goes on at Area 51 might make a president really popular with the public but in Washington he wouldn't have any allies. I think the tradeoff wouldn't really help him that much in the long run.

I have a couple of questions about A-51.

Isn't this the same place that the so-called space ship crashed back in '47?

And was it a secret area before the so-called crash?

And if it wasn't a secret area before the crash, why did the government choose this area to do their secret stuff? :confused:

And if it wasn't a secret area before the crash' date=' why did the government choose this area to do their secret stuff? :confused:[/quote']

1. close enough to it

2. there was no interest in it before hand

3. its out in the middle of nowhere

I really don't see why this would be a political issue, unless it was part of a wider strategy of changing the way information is controlled between the .gov and the civilian body.

Generally, parties get public support because of the impetus behind directional policies, not just for "doing stuff".

And if it wasn't a secret area before the crash' date=' why did the government choose this area to do their secret stuff? :confused:[/quote']

The 1947 "flying saucer" crashed in New Mexico.

Area 51 is in Nevada, I think they started work on 51 in the early to mid 50's, around the time the U2 was being developed.

The 1947 "flying saucer" crashed in New Mexico.

Area 51 is in Nevada' date=' I think they started work on 51 in the early to mid 50's, around the time the U2 was being developed.[/quote']

I just wondered if there was a connection is all. I never bought into the "flying saucer" story, but I always thought it was kinda funny that area 51 was at least in the same neighborhood.

Personally I don't think that the public would come all unraveled over it anyway, so why keep it a secret? Unless, of course, we didn't want the Ruskies to know about it.

Maybe they thought that is the Russians didn't know one way or the other, they would be less liable to start a fight with us for fear that we would zap their ass with some kinda extra terrestial death ray? :D

i have changed my mind as to my response to this poll. it wouldn't matter. if he said it was aliens, all the aircraft enthusiasts, would cry cover-up. but if he said aircraft, all of the UFO freaks would cry cover-up.