Purpose of Blood Types?

Ten oz

Recently a friend introduced me to the Blood Type diet. While the claims made in the book written by Peter J. D'Adamo, Eat Right 4 Your Type have not been clinically proven and seem rather speculative they did peek my curiosity. What is the purpose of blood times and should we adapt anything about or lifestyles (diets, sleep patterns, activity levels, etc) around them?

I posted this in speculations because while the history of blood types is known from what I have read the purpose of blood types is not. So I am interested in both research and people's opinions.

Blood type denotes the types of anti-bodies (or antigens, according to Wikipedia. Did I mess up?) found on your blood cells. Anti-bodies are used to respond to pathogens.

I don't think there has to be a purpose, but maybe it's adaptive to have your immune system target foreign blood cells. Blood, saliva, and urine can all carry pathogens between hosts, and I imagine that a viral pathogen may actually be carried inside of the foreign blood cells.

Edited by MonDie

Having a variety of different immune responses in a population is a good thing, as it spreads the ability of the population to fight off disease (assuming you can't have every individual able with immunity to every possible pathogen). Blood groups are one result of this.

More detail here: http://web.udl.es/usuaris/e4650869/docencia/GenClin/content/recursos_classe_%28pdf%29/revisionsPDF/MHCcomplex.pdf

Increasing evidence indicates that the highly polymorphic genes of the major histocompatibility complex (MHC) influence odour and mating preferences in house mice and humans

http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/15/9/1269.full

I am blood donor first from the age of 18 to about 25, At this time I was AB-, I stop for 15 years but started again when I turned 40, This time I was A-, My group had changed, No would could tell me why, And I was told my records where lost from paper records to updating to computer, I may have lost the "B" from my blood group but with that came a 15% less chance of a heart attack,

I guess some blood groups would be better at cooling bodies down at higher temperatures, so those with a certain type would be in a physically better shape than those with a different type, So would be a better choice as a mate,

I BET HE WAS TYPE (A) :)

the_transfer_rules_of_the_cave_1606695.j

I suppose that would also work for the best blood type in a cold climate,

I am blood donor first from the age of 18 to about 25, At this time I was AB-, I stop for 15 years but started again when I turned 40, This time I was A-, My group had changed,

I don't think that is possible.

I don't think that is possible.

But true, My mother and brother are also AB-, I have never found a satisfactory answer to why, I did spend time looking, Other than pregnancy which would be hard to say the least, Or blood transfusion, Or bone marrow transfusion which i would remember. It as been something that has baffled me for years.

Perhaps I did come from a neighbouring dimension, which I feel sometimes, And there is another me with AB- saying he used to be A- :unsure:

I am blood donor first from the age of 18 to about 25, At this time I was AB-, I stop for 15 years but started again when I turned 40, This time I was A-, My group had changed, No would could tell me why, ...

You were originally mistyped.

Can an individual's blood group change?

... The main blood groups of the ABO blood group system are A, B, O and AB and each of these have various subgroups. More of these are being found as techniques and equipment available for testing improve and some have been found only with the advent of molecular and genetic analysis. The A blood type has the most variation in subgroup of any of the ABO blood types with about 20 different known subgroups. A1 and A2 individuals make up the vast majority of people with A blood type, all other subgroups equal less than 1% of As. The failure to detect a weak subgroup of A may result in a patient or donor being mistyped as group AB or B or O. ...

15% less chance of a heart attack,

I guess some blood groups would be better at cooling bodies down at higher temperatures, so those with a certain type would be in a physically better shape than those with a different type, So would be a better choice as a mate,

Why would your blood type change your heart attack risk or be better at cooling bodies down?

Blood type denotes the types of anti-bodies (or antigens, according to Wikipedia. Did I mess up?) found on your blood cells. Anti-bodies are used to respond to pathogens.

I don't think there has to be a purpose, but maybe it's adaptive to have your immune system target foreign blood cells. Blood, saliva, and urine can all carry pathogens between hosts, and I imagine that a viral pathogen may actually be carried inside of the foreign blood cells.

Nice response. You summarized all I really know about the issue. So I feel a little more comfortable knowing I am at least properly understand understanding blood types.

Having a variety of different immune responses in a population is a good thing, as it spreads the ability of the population to fight off disease (assuming you can't have every individual able with immunity to every possible pathogen). Blood groups are one result of this.

More detail here: http://web.udl.es/usuaris/e4650869/docencia/GenClin/content/recursos_classe_(pdf)/revisionsPDF/MHCcomplex.pdf

http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/15/9/1269.full

Thank you for the links.

One thing I am having trouble understand, as it relates to blood types, is the mating thing. Child are not a blood type combination of their parents. An O type mother who chooses to mate with an A type person may have an O type child and as such no gain anti-bodies? Gain is the wrong word. No difference in anti-bodies, as they relate to blood type?

Edited by Ten oz

Why would your blood type change your heart attack risk or be better at cooling bodies down?

I believe those with type AB HAVE A 23% Increase chance of disease than those with type O, type B 11% Increase, type A only as a 5% increase compared to type O, http://www.voanews.com/content/rare-blood-types-carry-increased-risk-for-heart-disease/1489538.html

A & O are the thinnest blood types, less chance of heart disease

B & AB are the thickest blood types more chance of heart disease.

I have not put it all together yet, But cold weather causes blood vessels to narrow, increasing blood pressure, So it seems weather plays a role in blood pressure, So certain types of blood groups would be better in different climates/Altitudes,

Does thin or thick blood retain heat better? Or release heat better, which would be best for a warm or cold climate?

But due to movement of populations in recent times and cross breeding I believe it would be hard to get accurate blood type readings for each country that reflect this.

I think A & O are better for warmer climates.

http://www.bloodbook.com/world-abo.html

I believe those with type AB HAVE A 23% Increase chance of disease than those with type O, type B 11% Increase, type A only as a 5% increase compared to type O, http://www.voanews.com/content/rare-blood-types-carry-increased-risk-for-heart-disease/1489538.html

A & O are the thinnest blood types, less chance of heart disease

B & AB are the thickest blood types more chance of heart disease.

I have not put it all together yet, But cold weather causes blood vessels to narrow, increasing blood pressure, So it seems weather plays a role in blood pressure, So certain types of blood groups would be better in different climates/Altitudes,

Does thin or thick blood retain heat better? Or release heat better, which would be best for a warm or cold climate?

But due to movement of populations in recent times and cross breeding I believe it would be hard to get accurate blood type readings for each country that reflect this.

I think A & O are better for warmer climates.

http://www.bloodbook.com/world-abo.html

Very interesting. So there may be some validity to a blood type diet?