Family tree

Even God would have had a reason to give your mother all those different eggs.
I would think that a biology teacher might realize this. I once met an extremely nice biology teacher in high school, who was teaching on the basis of a single class that he took in school. It is difficult enough to find a baby sitter for biology class, let alone hope that he might know a little about biology.

I had a talk with my biology teacher today after class, and showed him what you guys wrote. I even pointed out the part where he was described. He looked at it awhile, laughed, and said "They called me a nut case?".

I'm getting confused now. He did a lot of talking about things I didn't understand fully, so I'm not going to pick sides because my teacher now knows about this place. Hello Mr. Luke.

His point of view hasn't changed because of the criteria I put in place to begin with. He says that the only difference is father10 marrying the sister of mother10 instead of mother10 herself. Everyone still has the same amount of children meaning that my "father" would still have married my mother who would only produce one daughter. Nobody dies.

He says according to my rules, my mother cannot change and neither can her egg. Only the sperm changed because I now have a different father than I would have had. Her egg is the same one that produced me according to my rules.

Since I was conceived at the same time, same day, with the same mother, and the same egg, he says that #2 is still a possibility.

Go easy in case he's listening.....

Bettina

I still say that #2 is not a possibility as long as it includes the words, "still be me". You are only you if your mother and father and the exact time of conception with the same sperm-egg combo are used.

Change any of that and you have an entirely different person.

I agree with Phi...if any circumstances were changed, even being conceived on a different day (different sperm) your genetic makeup could be different, you would not be you. Maybe similiar to you, but not you.

And I put a 3rd to that.... you're only you if everything that has happened has happened, if you change the past if effects the future (or present), especially so in this way you mentioned.

Different genes 10 generations back will still effect you... imagine if sister of mother10 had an STD and it all went wrong, you wouldn't be here at all....

or if father10 had a recessive gene which was dominated by your mother10 dominant gene and was therefore lost from your family, but if sister of mother10 didn't have that dominant gene then the recessive gene would not have been 'dominated-over' and would be part of your phenotype, if you see what I mean!

Think of it as equations, or maybe that only works for me! But if you change the genotype somewhere up the chain of a family tree it will have a direct effect, be it the genotype or phenotype of all future generations.

He says according to my rules' date=' my mother cannot change and neither can her egg. Only the sperm changed because I now have a different father than I would have had. Her egg is the same one that produced me according to my rules.

[/quote']

Answered your question right there. No way your DNA is going to be the same with a different father, grandfather, etc.

In fact, given the number of sperm, even with the same mother and father the chance of the same you resulting from a pairing is highly unlikely.

Now, if you believe souls are handed out at certain times, then maybe your different physical self would receive the same soul. This has nothing to do with science.

I strongly dissagree, the genes of 5-9 hundred yeas usualy have little affect on you. Bettina would probably still be herself, but slightly different. ie: blonde or red instead of brown hair.

no, even slightly different genes result in quite significant phenotypical changes.

Hmmm....

I showed this thread to my biology teacher who told me that #2' date=' though highly unlikely, is still possible. I would look different, I may even be a boy, but the "soul" peering out of the person in front of the mirror, could still be me. A different me, but still me. Now I'm wondering all over again. :)

Bettina[/quote']

well the body, memories and everything of the individual whose ancestral tree matched your own except for the differences we are talking about would be totally different. so how can you say it would be "you". It is difficulot to even say that "you" are the same person that went to sleep last night. you have all the memories, but are not nescessarily anything more than that.

Hmmm....

I showed this thread to my biology teacher who told me that #2' date=' though highly unlikely, is still possible. I would look different, I may even be a boy, but the "soul" peering out of the person in front of the mirror, could still be me. A different me, but still me. Now I'm wondering all over again. :)

Bettina[/quote']

I worry about you biology teachers grasp of his subject.

If there had been any change at all in your genetic heritance at any stage at all of your direct ancestors then you would not exist. Someone quite like you could exist, soneone sharing many genetic characteristics, but not you.

His point of view hasn't changed because of the criteria I put in place to begin with. He says that the only difference is father10 marrying the sister of mother10 instead of mother10 herself. Everyone still has the same amount of children meaning that my "father" would still have married my mother who would only produce one daughter. Nobody dies.

''He says according to my rules, my mother cannot change and neither can her egg. Only the sperm changed because I now have a different father than I would have had. Her egg is the same one that produced me according to my rules.

Since I was conceived at the same time, same day, with the same mother, and the same egg, he says that #2 is still a possibility.''

If a child was concieved at the same time, same day with the same egg from the same mother if the sperm is not the exact same one, then the resulting child is not you.

It would in effect be someone related to you, possibly very similiar to you, but in just the same way you are not your cousin or sibling, it would not in anyway be you.

2. Still be me, look different, and wonder what the button was for.

I'm trying to see the reasoning behind your biology teacher's view and thought, different dad, grandad or that 10 times over.... now obviously the chances are extremly high that you will have different genes, (there's always a 1 in 10000000000000000000 chance that it could be the same - but lets ignore that for now).

So you'd look different, you wouldn't know what the button was for but "Still be me" is the real debateable part of #2.

If by "be me" you mean have identical genes and be identical then how can you "look different, and wonder what the button was for" ???

If by "be me" you mean something other than identical then it's not relaly being you at all so "Still be me" shouldn't be there (in #2).

Resulting in:

3. "Someone" is looking in the mirror, sees the button, shrugs her shoulders, and throws it on the dresser.......Who I was is gone.

Being the logical answer to your question.

"Someone" referring to a person different to the current you,

being in the same place is debateable because you may not be alive if the new sister of mother10 genes were dodgy and mother9 was never born or something, then there's the whole due to mother9 looking different 'father9' would be a different person too who might not have a 'mother8' or do but a few days later and consequently ____ happens to her and so on and so forth.

another girl is standing there but its not me. She's wearing my clothes too....

Whether there would be anyone there at all becomes debateable once you alter one set of genes anything can happen.