Another example of how Bush is making the world less safe.

TimeTraveler

if kerry was in office right now people would be talking bad about him right now too.. no matter what people are going to be unhappy thats just the way it works... with one political party youll have people protesting, with the other party youll have the other people protesting.. thats how the system works; eternal unrest, every four years another person comes into power and everyone gets mad..

Actually, Bush has Condi Rice doing some things that Kerry suggested. You are correct, if Kerry had won and was doing the exact same thing, the repubs would be complaining.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I do joke with my asian friends about their eyes, and my arab friends about suicide bombings or owning a gas station. Their not pussies though, so they don't get offended. They just joke back.

Tetrahedrite: Glad to see that you've realized that the rest of the world doesn't matter. AMERICA RULES BITCHES.

ok, I've ruined this topic enough. Bring the intelligence back in.

hmm well dosent that just suck.. cuz last i checked it isnt the rest of the worlds country..
As a fellow American, I find this attitude deplorable. If the US expects to be the big superpower bully and not consider what the rest of the world thinks, we'll probably find ourselves in more wars with little or no support (sorry UK, you know what I mean).

fake is right about one thing. At the present time, half the country feels justified in lashing out at anyone who doesn't seem to support us. The other half is wondering where the future is when the rest of the world considers us to be greedy warmongerers. We all love our country, none of us thinks we're making ALL the right choices, but some have embraced Bush as a sort of tough-talking, hard-walking John Wayne-type who might be able to keep us on top when the alligators get too deep. The rest of us are pretty sure he, his daddy and his friends who sell alligator-repellant helped throw us in the swamp in the first place.

I love my country, but I'd rather see a world where armed aggression doesn't represent so much of the GNP. Resources like people's lives need to take precedence over the oil to run their cars. I love cultural diversity and I don't want a single world government. I want to live here and visit other cultures without fear. I want to see science used to increase knowledge, not exploited to increase aggression.

Actually' date=' I do joke with my asian friends about their eyes, and my arab friends about suicide bombings or owning a gas station. Their not pussies though, so they don't get offended. They just joke back.

Tetrahedrite: Glad to see that you've realized that the rest of the world doesn't matter. AMERICA RULES BITCHES.

ok, I've ruined this topic enough. Bring the intelligence back in.[/quote']

You're a great ambassador for your country as well! A conservative, racist who arrogantly believes that the USA is the centre of the known universe.

Yep...America's just great.

Actually' date=' I do joke with my asian friends about their eyes, and my arab friends about suicide bombings or owning a gas station. Their not pussies though, so they don't get offended. They just joke back.

ok, I've ruined this topic enough. Bring the intelligence back in.[/quote']

lets play a game: see how long you can get away with making chauvanist and racist comments before a moderator bans you!

Actually, I do joke with my asian friends about their eyes, and my arab friends about suicide bombings or owning a gas station. Their not pussies though, so they don't get offended. They just joke back.
Oh, I'm sure they love you. I'm sure they get a big laugh out of your stereotyping them.

That's always so much fun.

um' date=' you really don't know much of asian history.

the chinese and koreans have always been like brothers. think noryang point, the mongols, japan, etc.

[/quote']

To say that the Chinese and Koreans have always been like brothers is an exaggeration.

China has a long history of invading Korea. The story of Korea is essentially one of struggle not to be crushed by overweening foriegn powers, hence the political system of Juche, or self reliance, meaning being dependent on no one, including the Chinese.

I have not noticed Asian friends of mine being especially timid, but if you are making an A$$ of yourself they may not exactly tell you. Thus they contrive much amusement.
The Asian concept of "face" dictates that you pointing out others flaws not only humiliates them it humiliates you and causes you to lose face. You're right Coral, for an Asian to smile and act unoffended when a gaijin acts like a jerk points out their nobility and tact, and let's them laugh at your barbarity without seeming childish.

And i'm the pedant who ignores context? :)

I could not resist the opportunity to show you what I meant in the other thread, so I'm glad you recognised it.

Their existing secret programme was caught out in 2002.

Yes, it was this I was referring to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3696092.stm

I think I simply got my year wires crossed.

A question. Do you have some particular experience with Japanese? I ask because you use the Japanese word gaijin in your reference to Asians.
Other than reading (non-Kanji) and the polite conversational linguistics one picks up, no. Actually, it was a reference to westerners, who are foreign to most Asian customs.

To say that the Chinese and Koreans have always been like brothers is an exaggeration.

China has a long history of invading Korea. The story of Korea is essentially one of struggle not to be crushed by overweening foriegn powers, hence the political system of Juche, or self reliance, meaning being dependent on no one, including the Chinese.

that is just simply false. i provided historical evidence and you did not. now, if you were to thwart my evidence and provide some of your own, i may consider your opinion to be valid

that is just simply false. i provided historical evidence and you did not.

I looked back through this thread for the historical evidence that you say that you posted, but I could not find it for some reason. Would you please repost it. I for one cannot imagine how anyone might claim that the relationship between the Chinese and the Koreans throughout history has been what might be called brotherly.

from wikipedia:

"According to other ancient transcripts, a kingdom called Gija Joseon was established in 1122 BC, when a Chinese exile Jizi (Gija) led 5,000 followers to the mountainous peninsula and founded the kingdom by merging with existent populations"

from wikipedia:

"Since the establishment of the Sui Dynasty in China, the kingdom continued to suffer from Chinese invasion until conquered by the allied Silla-Tang forces in 668."

from wikipedia:

"Koreans in China

Koreans form one of the 56 ethnic groups officially recognized by the People's Republic of China. It is considered one of the "major minorities".

They mostly occupy the north of China, especially in the Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture, where they numbered 854,000 in 1997."

"1593

February Japanese forces abandon P'yongyang to the Chinese; samurai under Kobayakawa Takakage defeat a Chinese army in a rear-guard action at Byokchekwan. "

http://www.samurai-archives.com/time2.html

"In the Battle of Myongnam in October of 1957, by which time Chinese Ming army had teamed up with Korea "

http://www.oliverbock.de/koreanica/html/3koenige/admiral.htm

plus my closest friend was born in china, and we have discussed the korea conflict. he supports the notion that china and korea are like brothers. he also is a poli-sci major.

from wikipedia:

I see absolutely no sense in which any of these citations suggests that the Chinese and the Koreans ever liked each other. Please connect the dots from your citations to your conclusion.

"In the Battle of Myongnam in October of 1957, by which time Chinese Ming army had teamed up with Korea "

The United States teamed up with Saddam in order to fight the Iranians. Any number of examples of "teaming up" does not necessarily imply to me that they did so out of brotherly feelings.

plus my closest friend was born in china, and we have discussed the korea conflict. he supports the thought that china and korea are like brothers. he also is a poli-sci major.

Your friend certainly has the right to his opinion. Would you please ask him if believes that the bulk of the Chinese share his feeling? In my experience with China, I wold be very surprised if this were the case.

Other than the opinion of your friend, which is valid as an opinion and which I cannot challenge, if for no other reason than I do not have access to your firned, would you please make the connetion between your citations and your conclusion that the Chinese and the Koreans have any type of brotherly feelings. I am sure that if we read the newspapers in China nowadays we willread lots of nice things about Korea, particularly the north, due to the current political climate. Perhaps your friend, who you state is a poli-sci student, is picking up on current political events. Would you ask him if he is knowledgeable about the total history between these two countries and if he still maintains his statement within the context of their entire history, or even within, say, the recent thousand years?

absolutely. the chinese and koreans have similar ancestry. the chinese attempted to take back korea, successfully. they have had great influence upon one another throughout the ages. they fought side by side many times. remember what happened with mcarthur? yeah, the chinese army was right there to defend north korea. it happens. of course, these military actions were in self-interest, but it isn't hard to see that the chinese backed up korea because of their brotherly connection

I see it is OK to stereotype about how asians laugh at other people and what they think about them, but it isn't ok to mention the fact that koreans and chinese have similar eyes, which may have not been politically correct but certainly wasn't racist.

Sorry, got to go, my brother (who is also my father) accidentally let our slave go and I've got to go get him back with my scatter gun.

absolutely. the chinese and koreans have similar ancestry.

Please expand on this. I don't know of their similar ancestry, except that conquest leads to interbreeding.

the chinese attempted to take back korea, successfully.

Hardly a sign of brotherlieness.

they have had great influence upon one another throughout the ages.

I think that China had by far the greater influence on Korea.

they fought side by side many times. remember what happened with mcarthur? yeah, the chinese army was right there to defend north korea. it happens. of course, these military actions were in self-interest,

This last sentence says it all.

but it isn't hard to see that the chinese backed up korea because of their brotherly connection

I accept that you believe this. However, I find it very hard to recognize this at all. Surely you can recognize that many people will not be swayed by your evidence, nor is this really necessary or to be expected.