Electric

DevilSolution

4 * AA 3ah 1.3v batteries transformed to 500k volts and 0.008mA.

Is it safe?

I know human skin has between 1-100k ohms resistance and the human heart requires about 0.01mA to be deadly so i presume its safe.

I dont know how transformers work or the inards of carrying current to the heart etc so just curious.

Is it safe?

I know human skin has between 1-100k ohms resistance and the human heart requires about 0.01mA to be deadly so i presume its safe.

I dont know how transformers work or the inards of carrying current to the heart etc so just curious.

From Wikipedia

Death can occur from any shock that carries enough current to stop the heart. Low currents (70–700 mA) usually trigger fibrillation in the heart, which is reversible via defibrillator but can be fatal without help. Currents as low as 30 mA AC or 300-500 mA DC applied to the body surface can cause fibrillation. Large currents (> 1 A) cause permanent damage via burns, and cellular damage. The voltage necessary to create current of a given level through the body varies widely with the resistance of the skin; wet or sweaty skin or broken skin can allow a larger current to flow. Whether an electric current is fatal is also dependent on the path it takes through the body, which depends in turn on the points at which the current enters and leaves the body. The current path must usually include either the heart or the brain to be fatal.

Is it safe?

No, 500 000 Volts are not to be toyed with!

Different individuals react differently to electric shock and the current can go through your body in plenty of unpredictable ways, you can never be sure that it won't harm you if it is able to penetrate your skin.

Also how do you know that the transformer suddenly don't malfunction and release deadly levels?

Direct Current from batteries, and coil? This way you will make electromagnet..

You need AC to increase voltage.

Or something else.

If capacitors are connected parallel to battery, they are filled by electrons.

Once you connect them serial, their voltage will add together.

Changing from parallel circuit to serial circuit can be done manually (if you have not seen it, set up such configuration on breadboard; 4x 220nF electrolytic capacitors and 5 V batteries will give you 20 V on output) or better using transistors in switching mode.

It'll be working in stages- fill capacitors, disconnect battery, change circuit from parallel to serial, utilize higher voltage, change circuit from serial to parallel, connect battery. Repeat process.

Supposing you achieve said 500kV, which is improbable because of the insulation distances, then the risk would not be the 9µA but:

- The X-Rays produced by all currents, including leaks through air and near the surfaces

- The charge in filtering capacitors.

Supposing you achieve said 500kV, which is improbable because of the insulation distances, then the risk would not be the 9µA but:

- The X-Rays produced by all currents, including leaks through air and near the surfaces

- The charge in filtering capacitors.

What do you mean X-Rays by all currents?

Sparks tend to produce EMF at many frequencies, but most of it will be radio frequency waves, including microwaves. There is a bit of light emitted, perhaps some infra red, and maybe x-rays. The total power is W=VA, where W=watts, V=volts and A=amps. When distributed across all the frequencies of EMF emitted, the x-ray emissions would be very small. You could limit the input current to the Tesla coil, e.g., 0.1 amp, so that the output current would be Ax= 5.2v / 500,000v * 0.1a = 0.00000104a. Consequently, total power would be 5.2v * 0.1a = 0.52 W. With such low power, there will be extremely small amounts of x-rays generated. Most of the EMR emitted will be at the frequency of the multivibrator.

1 W = 1 J/1 s

1 W = 1 A * 1 V

so

1 J/1s = 1 A * 1 V

1 J = 1 A * 1s * 1V

1 C = 1A*1s

so

1 J = 1 C * 1 V

but Coulombs are quantized: e=1.6*10^-19 C (1 C is quantity of electrons/charged particles)

so

1.6*10^-19 J = e* 1 V

(that's exactly 1 eV unit, and kinetic energy of electron in 1 V)

frequency of photon with 1.6*10^-19 J / ~6.62607*10^-34 J*s = ~2.4147*10^14 Hz (Infrared spectrum range)

1/~2.4147*10^14 Hz = ~4.135667*10^-15 eV*s (Planck const in eV unit)

When electron is accelerated by large Voltage and then decelerated by collision with f.e. air molecule or other material (preferably in vacuum), it's emitting photon which is part or all of its kinetic energy.

Look like Crookes tube is designed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_tube

Crookes_tube_two_views.jpg

Anode (on bottom) is with purpose bended to force electrons to decelerate. Electron must emit photon to be decelerated (or other way to lose energy - by collision with other particles).

Crookes tube was used by Roentgen to emit x-rays the first time in history, using 100000 voltage. he was able to receive x-rays with maximum 100 keV.

500 kV will in theory allow making x-rays with maximum 500 keV.

Edited by Sensei

• 2 weeks later...

the primary risk to experimenting with high voltages/low currents is the ozone gas generated by the apparatus....supposedly very unhealthy to breath for long periods. I am reading a bio of nikola tesla, and he nearly suffocated once in an experiment gone wrong....edd

Edited by hoola

the primary risk to experimenting with high voltages/low currents is the ozone gas generated by the apparatus....supposedly very unhealthy to breath for long periods. I am reading a bio of nikola tesla, and he nearly suffocated once in an experiment gone wrong....edd

Tesla worked with both high voltage and high current, which is dangerous. If you keep the current very low, the danger from sock is mitigated. Keeping the total power low minimizes danger from EMR, for example x-rays. Everyone is exposed to radiation every day, about 630 milirem, which is about 0.0063 watts/kilogram. Thus, to keep your exposure to EMR down you want to limit the power of any experiment to a fraction of a watt. Although, not all EMR has the same effect. Microwave radiation is less dangerous than higher frequency radiation, such as x-rays. And, longer radio waves are even less dangerous. Some waves, for example, visible light do not penetrate deeply, but can burn your skin.

Edited by EdEarl

• 4 months later...