Dream mechanics

in my latest dream I analyzed it and found the following :

auditory message - i heard a name that I remember having read on the internet

visual message - i saw myself doing kendo (martial art). - i searched the net and found that I am trying to deal with a pressing problem.

actually my query is not as to the implications or meanings of this dream. (that is debatable).

What I would like to know is how tangible entities (like the name i read on the net) mix with intangible entities (myself doing kendo - i am not an exponent of the art and the only martial art i have dabbled with is gojukai karate).

What exactly are the mechanics of dream creation?

Does a scientific analysis exist?confused.gif

I don't really trust dream mechanics and prefer to work on dreams myself in my own garage. smile.png

What exactly are the mechanics of dream creation?

Does a scientific analysis exist?

Not really, no. Dreams are subjective and open to interpretation. There is no hard science of dream analysis in the way that we can do fourrier analysis on waveforms. It's a lot like interpreting art or poetry. Different people see different things, and the things they see also won't always map properly to the intent of the artist.

The best we can do is to ask you what YOU think of your dreams and what YOU think they mean, but that's about as good as it will get.

The best we can do is to ask you what YOU think of your dreams and what YOU think they mean, but that's about as good as it will get.

I had read in one of my more somber moments that dream play results in the rejuvenation of catecholamine related neuronal systems in the brain. eg. related to dopamine etc.

Could be brains way of firing a "Defrag" command where bad sectors are reformatted and memory is reorganized.blink.png

When we dream, there is a large amount of neural rewiring that is taking place. Some connections are trimmed or pruned while others are strengthened and magnified, all as a result of our recent experiences and mindset. This does happen while dreaming, and it's part of the reason babies sleep so much. This is all peripheral to "the mechanics of dream creation" or any "scientific analysis" of dream content, though.

Our dream experience seems to be our conscious minds attempt to interpret the neural activity taking place while all of this pruning and growing of connections (plasticity) takes place. Recall though that we lack even a decent definition of consciousness and where it comes from.

Dreams can be for more mundane things like making you wake up because the arm you have been laying on has gone dead or your bladder is full. I've noticed a correlation sometimes between the act I feel like committing first upon waking up and the content of the dream. These occur mid-sleep and not at my usual waking time.

• 1 month later...

"When we dream, there is a large amount of neural rewiring that is taking place. Some connections are trimmed or pruned while others are strengthened and magnified, all as a result of our recent experiences and mindset. This does happen while dreaming, and it's part of the reason babies sleep so much. This is all peripheral to "the mechanics of dream creation" or any "scientific analysis" of dream content, though.

Our dream experience seems to be our conscious minds attempt to interpret the neural activity taking place while all of this pruning and growing of connections (plasticity) takes place. Recall though that we lack even a decent definition of consciousness and where it comes from."

I agree; however, why we dream and why newborns seem to require more sleep and dreaming is likely tied to the metabolic processes that occur during sleep, which is associated with the evolution of sleeping and dreaming brain.