Repair the hole in the ozone layer

Caused by different pollutants acting in conjunction with radiation in the upper atmosphere.

I have not read about any process faster than naturally occurring ones to get rid of them, that we can do efficiently over the amount of area involved.

• 3 years later...

UV radiation creates holes in the ozone layer.

Is there a way in which we can fix this problem? eg) by inducing some chemical reaction.

eg)Silver iodide crystals are used in cloud seeding.

I must note that as of yet we have not determined definatively that the ozone hole we see above Anartica is NOT cyclical insofar as its size in concerned. It very well could increase and decrease in area on some sort of regular cycle. So short is the time that we have been able to access images of it through modern satellite enhanced imagery. In fact, as I recall, I thought I read fairly recently that the hole was smaller now than, say, a decade ago? I have to research that, however. Could be wrong.

At any rate, yeah, cyclicle. Most if not ALL things in nature and Biology DO run in cyclic fashions. Same for Cosmology. So why not the Ozone hole? The fact that it is located where it is has lead me to wonder whether or not the size of it and its attendant fluctuations are not related in some fahsion to magnetic field emiitinces from the pole? Are, along similiar lines, to Magnetic wind activity, or even solar flares, from our Sun? Time will tell, I reckon.

Thanks.

At any rate, yeah, cyclicle. Most if not ALL things in nature and Biology DO run in cyclic fashions. Same for Cosmology. So why not the Ozone hole? The fact that it is located where it is has lead me to wonder whether or not the size of it and its attendant fluctuations are not related in some fahsion to magnetic field emiitinces from the pole? Are, along similiar lines, to Magnetic wind activity, or even solar flares, from our Sun? Time will tell, I reckon.

Thanks.

Well that is a bit of an oversimplification. Many processes can be constructed as cycles (even often in an arbitrary way. However, it is not terribly useful to assume an universality to it or, even worse, to assume that it has any explanatory power. Also, even cyclic reactions do not necessarily need to reset itself to initial conditions (as we see with global warming).

Poles take the brunt of things :/

The magnetic cusps are the two important regions in Earth’s magnetosphere where the solar wind - a constant flow of charged particles generated by the Sun that crosses the whole Solar System - can directly access the upper layer of Earth’s atmosphere (the ionosphere).

http://sci.esa.int/cluster/37763-from-macro-to-micro-turbulence-seen-by-cluster/

On the flip-side Auroras are pretty cool looking.

Specifically regarding the recovery: there are estimates that by eliminating ozone depleting substances (as outlined in the Montreal protocol) could result in recovery within decades. The publication highlighting potential recovery was published last year in Science, such as smaller areas of large depletion and other findings.

UV radiation creates holes in the ozone layer.

Not really.

The UV from the sun was always there; the holes are new.

Mankind's careless dumping of CFCs into the atmosphere causes destruction of ozone

If you eliminated mankind the holes would eventually repair themselves.

This solution may not be popular.