chemical tetralinyl group

Hi guys, is there anyone here that can tell my how to introduce a tetralinyl group into my sample.

I have very little chemistry understanding so I have no idea which chemical solution to make up for this.

Thanks for any and all help.

Kiko

Hi BabcockHall

I am studying the bonding dynamics in several protein structures but my experiment is modifying several of the side chains causing additional conformational changes to my proteins.

There are already several chemical groups that have been used successfully to protect residues during process which are later removed from the sample. The PI on my work suggested the introduction of a tetralinyl group but I have never used this before and he provided no more information as to how to go about this.

If you have any suggestions they would be most welcome. I have passed the info back to the protein guys but they can be touchy about their work ruined for my enjoyment.

Kiko

The only reference to the use of this group with which I am familiar was in the context of peptide synthesis, as opposed to the chemical modification of proteins. That having been said, I have not searched carefully, either.

http://profiles.uonbi.ac.ke/ayusuf/publications/1-tetralinyl-group-asparagine-side-chain-protection-and-application-boc-solid-ph

• 4 weeks later...

Tetralin AKA

tetrahydronaphthalene
1,2,3,4-tetrahydronaphthalenyl

It is a hydrogenated naphthalene molecule (or the equivalent to one). The naphthalene retains its numbering assignments, so this this hydrogenated at carbon 1,2,3 and 4.

It will be added at the carbon 1 position.

There is the cyclization strategy and naphthalene strategy.

According to my book tetralin can be produced by adding {Na, ethanol, heat} to naphthalene. If you were able to place a leaving group on the naphthalene ring and use this reaction with out dropping the leaving group then you could use this in as a means of adding tetralinyl perhaps.

Hydrogenation of naphthalene will produce decalin.

A potential leaving group could be Br by Br2.

With asparagine this could create a amide with a stabilized group. The Boc group mentioned in the google search, t-butooxycarbonyl is used for the first amino acid. It is an amino blocking group. Because asparagine has an open nitrogen it also needs a blocking group permanently throughout synthesis because it would otherwise act as an available unchained nitrogen. Due to the nature of protein synthesis by chemical reagents this would otherwise create a very large mess.

Another way to add tetralinyl would be by cyclization. The reagents would be more expensive. Likely candidates would be involve a benzoid with an unsaturated chain and some other unsaturated alkene. The likelihood of hitting the oxygen is higher in situ.

Other methods could involve removing the nitrogen altogether and then replacing it later on. This is a very good option in my opinion because tetralinyl seems to be a rather tentative occupancy. I'm not sure which is worse the naphthelene or the tetralinyl. Nothing really takes up on nitrogen and I think not removing it is one of the headaches.

Edited by vampares