3D printing

too-open-minded

Yes, I think it will have a big impact. I've been lobbying for one at work for a few years. There are projects where rapid prototyping will save time and money, and also custom parts (especially when just a single one is required) that will be cheaper to print than to fabricate by traditional means. Also for cheap parts that traditionally you buy in large volumes, and you need just one.

I think the 3D and 4D printing are already changing the world in small ways, and will probably have greater effect as the technology matures. See 4D printing video and others on YouTube. Individual 3D printers are available, for example RepRap, but most are limited to printing plastic parts, which is a big market but not the only market. There are many types of 3D printers that work with various materials, which makes predicting the long term effects of 3D/4D printing complex.

At the moment, the idea of one printer being able to make anything a person wants and needs is pie in the sky. Moreover, the idea of each home owner having enough printers to make parts of several metals, several plastics, wood, and other materials necessary to make and maintain a house, vehicles, and other things is also not credible. A more realistic scenario is that various people/businesses will have different 3D and 4D printers and that some manufacturing will become community-centric. A person will order a part on-line, for example a plumbing fixture, and their local manufacturer-retailer will make it and have it ready for delivery quickly, for example next day. This kind of business will reduce shipping costs and make exact replacement parts available. Today we may need to upgrade to a newer model or downgrade to a different one. This image of 3D/4D commerce is one that may occur in the relatively near future.

In the long run, perhaps scientists will develop a nanotechnology printer that can move individual atoms of any type, and make anything from raw materials. For now, that idea is science fiction.

Nice thread. I am very interested in 3D printing and I think this technology has a bright future. There are certanly some production niches where 3D printing will rule.

In far far future, atomic level printers might become possible, but thisis not the same technology that is now used by 3D printing pioneer hobbyists. Therefore, I think we should not mix these when we talk about 3D printing technology... The 4D printing is also a foggy term, I think... Anyway, I hope that we will mostly discuss a more realistic 3D printing technology here.

I hope for a small (desktop) 3D printer that is able to produce several different materials (hard, soft, el. conductive or resistive...) so that I can make more complex parts - this is something I would like to have.

I suppose that 3D printers will become cheap, and many of us will have one to make "toys". However, for any more serious stuff (a car part, for example), we will go into a local shop nearby, and ask Bob (or Ed) to make what we need on his professional printer.

Might not be credible right now to want to bring the 3d printer to the consumer household but, imagine the possibilities. We wouldn't even need China, or atleast as much as we do now.

I have a few questions about 3d printing. I have heard that you can make lethal guns with a 3d printer, is this really possible? How would this hinder it making to the consumer household. What exactly does it take to build a 3d printer and what does it make things with, just silicon?

I can envision an artistic use of 3d printing that would appeal to people. It would be great if you could take a set of photographs of a person from a variety of perspectives and have a 3d printer convert the photographs into a sculpture. I expect that a lot of parents would like to be able to keep a small bust of their son or daughter present on their desks at work.

Might not be credible right now to want to bring the 3d printer to the consumer household but, imagine the possibilities. We wouldn't even need China, or atleast as much as we do now.

I have a few questions about 3d printing. I have heard that you can make lethal guns with a 3d printer, is this really possible? How would this hinder it making to the consumer household. What exactly does it take to build a 3d printer and what does it make things with, just silicon?

The home market is limited to printers that build up plastic parts and use lasers to cut wooden parts. See: http://forums.reprap.org/index.php,

http://www.thingiverse.com/, http://www.makerbot.com, and http://www.carvewright.com. There are others, too.

AFAIK, there are no 3D printers for home use that make things of silicon or glass.

BTW, is there anyone here that already worked with a 3D printer? I would like to hear some first-hand opinions.

There are DIY 3D printers, as I understood by reading some formus. (I made myself a desktop mill to make aluminum/plastic parts, but a 3D printer would also be nice). Is there already some standard software (CAM?) that can be used with 3D printers?

BTW, is there anyone here that already worked with a 3D printer? I would like to hear some first-hand opinions.

There are DIY 3D printers, as I understood by reading some formus. (I made myself a desktop mill to make aluminum/plastic parts, but a 3D printer would also be nice). Is there already some standard software (CAM?) that can be used with 3D printers?

I have not worked with a 3D printer, but I understand that FreeCAD and OpenSCAD can be used to design things for MakerBot and RepRap. FreeCAD is either a bit buggy or very difficult to learn. OpenSCAD works well, but you have to program it and the language has IMO unusual limitations. For example, AFAIK you cannot draw a line in OpenSCAD (only 2D and 3D closed geometric shapes) and its limitations on variables are severe. IMO OpenSCAD is better than FreeCAD. Of course, if you can afford it, AutoCAD is probably the best, but I have not used it.

Apparently Google Sketchup can output to a 3D printer. http://nsf.gov/news/mmg/mmg_disp.jsp?med_id=74748&from=

I tried to download it, and got a lot of free junk dowloads, but did not get sketchup.

Edited by EdEarl

I have a friend who works with 3d printers, i can ask him whatever your question is?

I just wanted to hear typical comments on 'user experience'... Some examples how the 3D printer expanded his possibilities, what are typical real-life limitations of 3D printing, what is the speed of 3D printing.... For example, my desktop CNC mill is not as useful to me as I originaly hoped because it is very slow, and some extensive preparation is needed to even start working (while I am a lazy person).

Compared to a mill, I think, the 3D printer has following advantages:

- silent work

- no dust

- no need to prepare and fasten the workpiece

- no need to change toolbits

However, there might be some disadvantages I don't see. I also suppose that the printing speed is very low. Surface quality is also questionable.

I just wanted to hear typical comments on 'user experience'... Some examples how the 3D printer expanded his possibilities, what are typical real-life limitations of 3D printing, what is the speed of 3D printing.... For example, my desktop CNC mill is not as useful to me as I originaly hoped because it is very slow, and some extensive preparation is needed to even start working (while I am a lazy person).

Compared to a mill, I think, the 3D printer has following advantages:

- silent work

- no dust

- no need to prepare and fasten the workpiece

- no need to change toolbits

However, there might be some disadvantages I don't see. I also suppose that the printing speed is very low. Surface quality is also questionable.

This forum may answer some of your questions. http://forums.reprap.org/list.php?4

BTW, there is dust from at least some 3D printers, and superior ventilation is recommended.

BTW, there is dust from at least some 3D printers, and superior ventilation is recommended.

How come? I see no reason for dust, maybe the ventilation is needed for toxic fumes?... BTW do you know anything about chemistry behind the process? Of course, I will also check your link.

How come? I see no reason for dust, maybe the ventilation is needed for toxic fumes?... BTW do you know anything about chemistry behind the process? Of course, I will also check your link.

AFAIK ventilation is recommended because of the fumes from the heated plastic, if not for other reasons.

The sales folks we had in at work touting their printer pointed out that the home/hobbyist models did not have good repeatability for multiple parts, i.e. there may be a precision limit that is worse than the advertised printing resolution. Part of this is how the plastic cools after printing. (Their supposed advantage is a heated tray that other printers lack, in order to control the cooling)