What is the cause of existence?

Windevoid

I tried asking this question to 8 or so answer site and
didn't get anything I can use, only cosmological/origin answers.

So here goes,

Why do some things exist and others not?

If I can move "something A" and put "something
B" where the "something A" used to be, then why wasn't the
"something B" there instead of the "something A" in the
first place?

Maybe time is involved somehow.

We exist because we exist. You wouldn't ask such a question if you didn't exist. Time is, by definition, what stops two objects from being in the same place. Ancients called this "khepri". They observed sunspots on the sun at sunset and saw the same sunspots at sunrise so this became the phenomenon of pre-existence; nothing arose from nothing. Everything arose from something.

You can seek cosmological, theological, or philosophical answers to how we came to exist but still each of us arose from what came before and will return to the vast soup from which all things arise. Our atoms will be used to constitute new life or to power it. New things, which still won't be in the same place at the same time, will spring from our having existed. Our ability to think allows us new ways to organize, understand, or see our place in nature but ultimately our only answers will remain speculative.

Simple answers must be sufficient at least at this time and the foreseeable future. One might as well have fun and try to leave the world a better place for tomorrow we die and our children will be left.

TED talk has a two hour talk with Lawrence Krauss

and he try to answer something very close

How can somethign come out of nothing?

He has also written a book about his views.

Not exactly what you ask Why questions tend to be philosophy

and what can they know about such things? I trust physics more than phil.

Edited by science4ever

TED talk has a two hour talk with Lawrence Krauss

and he try to answer something very close

How can somethign come out of nothing?

He has also written a book about his views.

Not exactly what you ask Why questions tend to be philosophy

and what can they know about such things? I trust physics more than phil.

I've seen this before. It is superbly done.

Edited by cladking

Or maybe there was never "nothing" maybe there was always "something", like zero point energy.

And perhaps it only shows that a reality where nothing can arise from nothing can arise from nothing.

I am most likely not logical enough to get it

but to me personally it is a great mystery

that something exist at all.

How am I suppose to find that even likely?

I refer to existence as such. Sure now we exists

but that the fluctuations that created the Big Bang

why did there exist anything at all in the first place.

I mean is that not a great mystery? where do I go wrong logically?

My poor logic tells me that there is no reason for something to exist.

Now I don't believe in "creation" because that only place the question

further away. Who "created" the Creator and so on Creators all the way down. :)

Why can't time be both immutable and transmutable?

Universe (space, matter, energy and time) and consciousness both are eternal existance and the cause of everything.

Consciousness is the cause of existence.

What kind of definition do you have for that consciousness?

The self consciousness that the mirror experiment is solved

by very few animal. Most animal fail to recognize that they

see themselves in the mirror in front of themselves.

You seems to refer to something other that what we usually refer to as human self consciousness.

Some that have ASD fail to know how they come through in the minds of others

or they claim they know that but don't care. that is another aspect of being aware

that makes the whole notion of consciousness not so clear cut.

So give me the defintion of what you talk about.

Universe (space, matter, energy and time) and consciousness both are eternal existance and the cause of everything.

Saying the universe always existed (which is true by definition, btw) explicitly contradicts your claim that consciousness is the cause of existence.

So here goes,

first place?

Forget time.

All philosophers seeking answers to the beginnings of things, which is what your "existence" query boils down to, are required to accept the existence of at least one "Absolute Miracle," one thing or event that cannot possibly be explained, not by all the philosophers in the universe, not even by any "God" whose very existence might be the Absolute Miracle.

The only relevant question is, what might the Miracle or Miracles be? And, how do we verify those that might actually have been responsible for our universe?

My personal preference is to throw out the currently accepted Miracles, the Big Bang and its precursor, and the Almighty God, as being too complex to have existed without cause. I prefer a simpler beginning-state that requires at least two, perhaps three Miracles that have the advantage of being as simple as possible, and for which there is excellent evidence.

Now it is not likely that your question was addressed to "existence in general" such as the existence of a dark-energy precursor, etc. More likely you are concerned with the tertiary elements of existence that might affect your personal reality.

With properly chosen initial Miracles, these things are easily explained. However, that does not make the explanation necessarily easy to understand. If you seek a succinct explanation that you will understand without doing a fair amount of study, get prepared to be frustrated. The answers you seek are out there, like elk in the woods during the few days of a hunting season. Sometimes the lucky bring some good meat home, but game more commonly falls to the well-prepared hunter.

So here goes,

An answer would be that all possible things do exist but not at the same place at the same time.

first place?

Sure time is involved.

When you put object B where object A used to be, you put object B at the same spatial coordinates but not at the same time coordinate. The universe is 4 dimensional (at least) so you need 4 coordinates to describe an event in spacetime.

And if you want to displace an object from one spacetime coordinate to another, laws of physics say that you need time to do that. You cannot move in time zero.

If it wasn't so, then objects A and B at different spatial coordinates could have been the one and same object.

--------------

(edit) That still doesn't answer your philosophical question about the cause of existence of course.

Edited by michel123456