YOUR opinion matters

DocBill

THE LOST GENERATION was a title very carefully selected. There are currently 12 books with the title "Losing Faith" but my book "Losing Faith" outsells them all (currentlly anyway).

A public school is one where parents can dump their kids which is run by the government. The book will compare public, private, home school education, examples of why or why not they FAIL, and will have stories from past and current teachers on what has gone wrong over the past 50 years to a slide into "2 + 2 = 5" where the answer is not important..the "creativeness is!" BS that is graduating kids with HS diplomas who cannot read or write.

Bill

Presumably Losing Faith by Daniel Blythe outsells by a fair amount.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0241140323/ref=sr_aps_books_1_2/026-6200037-2804416

In the UK, anyhow, as only Heretics is sold through amazon in the UK.

Anyhow, I don't think making a reference to the Lost Generation will make your book easy to search for, as there are already so many titled in the same way. Plus the majority of people searching for the lost generation will be looking for the Cultural Revolution in China.

But feel free to name your book whatever you like, it's just a suggestion that a less generic title would make sense.

Originally posted by atinymonkey

Presumably Losing Faith by Daniel Blythe outsells by a fair amount.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0241140323/ref=sr_aps_books_1_2/026-6200037-2804416

In the UK, anyhow, as only Heretics is sold through amazon in the UK.

Anyhow, I don't think making a reference to the Lost Generation will make your book easy to search for, as there are already so many titled in the same way. Plus the majority of people searching for the lost generation will be looking for the Cultural Revolution in China.

But feel free to name your book whatever you like, it's just a suggestion that a less generic title would make sense.

Which I never did get around to..Now there's an idea. Any aspiring authors out there want to assist in an update of a book? Co author is not a bad place to start.

Bill

HERETICS? They should also be "MIRACLES" and "Just Smoke and Mirrors" available as well. Hmmm.

Bill

where the answer is not important..the "creativeness is!"

Although I'm not in highschool, I do attend a state-run university. The funny thing is my english composition 1 class was run exactly as you mentioned. I can't speak for all the english composition classes, but mine was horrible. It wasn't about form or proper writing, it was about "expressing yourself". This was obvious BS to help pass those who couldn't write for beans (we can thank public schools that). Expressing yourself is great, but you have to do it right. Using slang and street language is hardly acceptable in a university.

Whats being taught is that there is no "wrong" answer. Everyone is unique and expresses themselves differently.

Originally posted by blike

Whats being taught is that there is no "wrong" answer. Everyone is unique and expresses themselves differently.

That's true, and it's a bit of a problem too, especially for the students, and particularly when they later enter a field where there are many "wrong" answers and where they are expected to express themselves in a way that means the same to every reader. I don't really think schools are doing their students any favours by teaching them that.

They are, for the most part. And is it easy to see where, when and why that changed. I have already had two publishers "nibble" so I don't think selling the ms will be an issue. I just don't want to rush it out. This will be a big deal..IF it is done right.

Just curious (and a first time poster so be gentle with me) but why do American books always need a sub-title - a little thing I have noticed? Someone suggested something along the lines of "Public Schools Suck". This would appear to be a punchy and forthright title which would eliminate the need for a sub-title. Do American books need sub-titles BECAUSE the schoolsystem sucks? Or is it merely an impression I've gained by watching far too much Oprah where self-help books with sub-titles seem to be the order of the day? As I said I'm just curious.:)

hmm, excellent point.

Actually the answer to your question may aswell be that the school system does suck and everyone just goes alond with the 'phads'.

Maybee its just us North Americans, but i like a catchy main title that is memorable, and then a descriptive subtitle.:dunno: