North Carolina, the world is watching...

menageriemanor

Yeah, I live in NC, it is a weird place sometimes... ruled by fundamentalist religious crazies who control the politicians by controlling who votes for whom via threats of hellfire and "the Gay agenda" They are trying to change NC law so NC can have an official state religion, oh my! sounds peachy keen to me...

The constitutional amendment to ban civil unions and make gay marriage illegal took a while and no one thought it could possibly pass but you have so many people like this in my state...

Oh yeah, then there is this...

We already have a one year wait for a divorce in NC now they want to make it two years...

The world is watching, but NC doesn't care, because NC knows best. I mean you have Europe = Greece and Asia = Communism and everything else is poverty. So why listen to anyone else?

Its really sad. I live in NC as well, which has been progressive for a southern state, but that has ended. You have the following:

With voter ID, the House is launching the most politically volatile issue of the session at the same time Senate Republicans explore a major income tax overhaul that would redefine who carries the burden of the state's tax system and Gov. Pat McCrory readies a long list of policies to reverse course on Democratic rule for the past 20 years, starting with his Medicaid overhaul and state budget proposal, while other lawmakers push plenty of smaller but equally major bills to create a separate governing system for charter schools, repeal the state's renewable energy credits, support gun ownership, restart the death penalty, legalize some sweepstakes, put restrictions on those seeking public assistance, consider an Arizona-styled immigration checks and establish a resolution that says N.C. towns and cities can set an official religion.

http://projects.newsobserver.com/node/27275#storylink=cpy

Trying to limit voting, like taxing parents if their kids vote at their college and reducing early voting days. Both of these actions would affect democrat votes mostly.

http://www.wect.com/story/21874842/nc-parents-of-college-students-could-lose-tax-credits-if-child-is-registered-to-vote

Spending some time in NC visiting family and inlaws, ran into a somewhat more civilized (ie pleasant and personable company) version of this http://www.wildandwonderfulwhites.com/ frequently.

Also ran into about three dozen distinguishable varieties of pecan, all of which were good, some memorable (English thinshell, say).

Resident family, religious people all, infomed me that per capita NC is one of the most diverse areas of fundie religion in the world - mostly Judeo Christian and offshoots, but not all. I grew up in towns with little churches all over the place, and found them not actually diverse, but NC appears to be not in that model.