Colleges, Graduate Schools, Post Doc studies

DocBill

I am no expert on schools. However, I have travelled around a bit on the speaking circut, and have attended five colleges and graduate schools for a number of various fields. Any limited direction I may be able to give, I offer so.

Bill

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe. One of these two areas... so I need to know everything about both paths. Quantum biology would also be very interesting to go into, for which I would have to know a great deal of particle physics... which is intimately linked to cosmology anyway.

Originally posted by fafalone

Maybe. One of these two areas... so I need to know everything about both paths. Quantum biology would also be very interesting to go into, for which I would have to know a great deal of particle physics... which is intimately linked to cosmology anyway.

Interesting, I haven't had any exposure to quantum biology, I never considered QM to have much overlap with the biological sciences.

I do have a copy of "Quantum Evolution" by Johnjoe McFadden, it looked suspect but what the hell.....have you read it?

Originally posted by Deslaar

I thought you wanted to be a doctor?

I am a doctor..twice. Or did you mean a Physician? The rem "Doctor" comes from the Greek "Doctorais" which means to "Teach or enlighten." Most of the MD's I know hardly fit into this catergory.

Bill

What schools have the best programs for cosmology?

I can only speak from first hand experience, or that of my friends. I am not sure if there is a "best" school--however there are a few "great schools." It really depends on what area of cosmology you are interested in.

Arizona State-

California School of Technology-

Massachusetts Institute of Technology-

University of Chicago-

Cornell University-

There may well be others that I am not familiar with.

If you will tell me preciselly what are of Cosmology you are interested in, I can check with friends and can give you a much better answer.

Bill

Originally posted by DocBill

I am no expert on schools. However, I have travelled around a bit on the speaking circut, and have attended five colleges and graduate schools for a number of various fields. Any limited direction I may be able to give, I offer so.

Bill

How did you afford to go to school that long, all on scholarships? or did you pay out of your own pocket?

• 3 weeks later...

UC Berkely has a great program for theoretical physics.

I assume you're referring to graudate programs, since if there's a college offering a theoretical physics undergrad program I sure didn't hear about it while I was applying.

UC Berkely has a great program for theoretical physics.

I assume you're referring to graudate programs, since if there's a college offering a theoretical physics undergrad program I sure didn't hear about it while I was applying.

What about astrophysics?

Originally posted by T_FLeX

How did you afford to go to school that long, all on scholarships? or did you pay out of your own pocket?

My cousin's husband spent 14 years at university, I think he had 12 doctorates at last count. It's quite common in Norway (he's Norwegian, obviously) to carry on your studies for as long as possible. Unfortunately a doctorate does not indicate a high IQ, the first car he bought after finishing his studies was a Porsche. Now, driving a Porsche in Norway is tricky without snowchains for half of the year, unsurprisingly Porsche don't make snowchains :P.

In the UK, it's a little harder to get a meaningful doctorate. A doctorate in, say, philosophy, will take about 6 months of study and the doctorate will be almost worthless. However a doctorate in Archaeology will take 4 years of site work, thesis, museum work and lecturing - which make it a seriously hefty doctorate to hold.

The longer you stay at university the less time you have left in your working life, and the harder it becomes to increase your earning power. The mind is at it's most fertile aged 25, and most people peak at that. Past that age you should really be settled into a career or field of research.

Best to look at the actual researchers than the schools I think. If it's anything like here, post grad work is basically supervised research under a researcher at the school. Most post grads do very similar work to their supervisor, so try and find one that has done work in an area you are interested in.

Course I'm just an undergraduate and I seem to be getting nowhere slowly.

Originally posted by T_FLeX

Good question. About 120,000 of my own dough, and the McAurthur Foundation scholarship, 3rd place in the Seimens, and about a dozen or so other smaller scholarships.

Total is around: 270,000 +/-

• 3 weeks later...

If you're only in junior high, theres not much to do. Work on developing good study habits. In highschool, work hard and try to get yourself into a good school, though its not the end of the world if you don't. Right now just research what its like to be a doctor, and be sure thats what you want to do.