Is Obama a good POTUS?

JohnB

Incidentally, I know that there is some sort of state provision for US citizens who are unable to find work.

I presume that, before they hand out food stamps or emergency cash (or whatever) they check people's ID in some way. I suspect there's some sort of ID card involved.

Well, if that's good enough to take money from the government, it should be good enough to let them vote.

Can we sell that idea to the republicans?

Nah, that would make too much sense.

http://www.masslegalhelp.org/income-benefits/fshomelessness

I'm all for a national ID system. But, the very ones pushing this last minute voting requirement would be against it, claiming government intrusion. Go figure.

Incidentally, I know that there is some sort of state provision for US citizens who are unable to find work.

I presume that, before they hand out food stamps or emergency cash (or whatever) they check people's ID in some way. I suspect there's some sort of ID card involved.

Well, if that's good enough to take money from the government, it should be good enough to let them vote.

Can we sell that idea to the republicans?

Most of the states trying to change their voter ID laws are being very authoritarian about the process, which scares away many low-income and minority voters. Many of those folks want as low a profile as possible, but still value their right to vote.

I think it's clear the Republicans don't want those types of people to vote, since they're the very people who rely more heavily on the programs the Republicans want to diminish or abolish altogether. This is so obviously NOT about voter fraud, it's about registering only the right people.

I don't remember if it was mentioned before, but I remember reading where voter fraud in national elections already carries a $10,000 fine and five year prison sentence. It just isn't worth it for the little good it might do you.

Most of the states trying to change their voter ID laws are being very authoritarian about the process, which scares away many low-income and minority voters. Many of those folks want as low a profile as possible, but still value their right to vote.

I think it's clear the Republicans don't want those types of people to vote, since they're the very people who rely more heavily on the programs the Republicans want to diminish or abolish altogether. This is so obviously NOT about voter fraud, it's about registering only the right people.

I know.

That's why it would be such fun getting them to explain why the government issued ID (food stamps entitlement documents or whatever) couldn't count as ID for voting.

Exactly the same people who the Republicans want to disenfranchise are the people who already have government issued ID.