Military Voting Privilages?

rigney

Got this from a friend this morning and wondered if someone else may have seen it and might explain it better than I presently understand it. I listened but didn't read it entirely. Yes, it is biased, but how? Is it just a right wing ploy to bitch about something or Is it as inmaterial as some would make it out to be?

I did go to snopes and this link seems to be the gist of it.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/ballot/military.asp

Edited by rigney

Well, surprise... It's nonsense! The voting rights they're trying to change are for everyone EXCEPT the military. Ohio allows military voters an extra 3 days to vote, and the lawsuit is trying to get the same rights for everyone else. You know... since the US Constitution guarantees equal voting rights for all. It has nothing to do with "Obama trying to restrict military voting rights." The shit people believe sometimes, I swear. This is why we need to focus more on education in our country. It should not be so painfully simple to fool such huge percentages of the population.

Well, surprise... It's nonsense! The voting rights they're trying to change are for everyone EXCEPT the military. Ohio allows military voters an extra 3 days to vote, and the lawsuit is trying to get the same rights for everyone else. You know... since the US Constitution guarantees equal voting rights for all. It has nothing to do with "Obama trying to restrict military voting rights." The shit people believe sometimes, I swear. This is why we need to focus more on education in our country. It should not be so painfully simple to fool such huge percentages of the population.

You are very sharp my friend. Only an extremely intellegent person would have picked up on that so quickly. Being a bit slow, I read it again three or four more times and am still unsure of what the poposal means? By the way, are you saying military personel crawing from a bunker some where to vote, shouldn't get a few extra days grace to do so? But then you made it quite clear, everyone should have the same advantage, right? Edited by rigney

I promise you it requires no special education, no mental prowess, and no unique skills. Ultimately, it's really not hard to find truth when you stop relying on sources of "information" that are known to be little more than liars and propagandists.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/08/romney-says-obama-lawsuit-blocks-ohio-military-voters/

Republicans say a lawsuit brought by Obama for America in July seeks to eliminate additional time for in-person early voting allotted to service members in the battleground state. Democrats, on the other hand, contend the presumptive GOP nominee is deliberately trying to distort the facts.

“Mitt Romney is falsely accusing the Obama campaign of trying to restrict military voting in Ohio,” a Friday statement said. “In fact, the opposite is true: The Obama campaign filed a lawsuit to make sure every Ohioan has early voting rights, including military members and their families.”

A series of laws passed in the past year by Ohio’s Republican state legislature and Gov. John Kasich have waived the last three days of in-person early voting before Election Day for all but members of the military. Civilians now have until Friday, Nov. 2,to cast those ballots and must arrive at the booth before 6 p.m.

Republicans faulted the extra time for civilians as too costly for local governments and prone to fraud and abuse. Meanwhile, service members were exempt from the restrictions, allowing them to vote at any time before polls close, an extra three days without restrictions.

As previously reported by ABC News, the Obama campaign sued the Buckeye State last month to block those laws from taking effect, restoring weekend voting as it was in 2008. Democrats say those last days before Nov. 6give a crucial extra cushion for Americans who might not have had the opportunity to enter the voting booth in the days prior. If the challenge is successful, they say, military voters would not see any difference in their rights.

By the way, are you saying military personel crawing from a bunker some where to vote, shouldn't get a few extra days grace to do so?

NO!! Jebus fudging christopher... WTF would make you think that??? My god, man. This is really out of hand. Not only do you listen to liars as sources, but your brain is apparently so poisoned by them that you fail at basic reading comprehension and connection to reality.

http://www.examiner.com/article/now-romney-tells-the-obama-trying-to-eliminate-troop-voting-lie

Edited by iNow

I promise you it requires no special education, no mental prowess, and no unique skills. Ultimately, it's really not hard to find truth when you stop relying on sources of "information" that are known to be little more than liars and propagandists.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/08/romney-says-obama-lawsuit-blocks-ohio-military-voters/

NO!! Jebus fudging christopher... WTF would make you think that??? My god, man. This is really out of hand. Not only do you listen to liars as sources, but your brain is apparently so poisoned by them that you fail at basic reading comprehension and connection to reality.

http://www.examiner.com/article/now-romney-tells-the-obama-trying-to-eliminate-troop-voting-lie

No friend! but when you seem to suggest that every wino, derelict and lazy bum you know should get the same respect as our service personnel, you've barking up the wrong tree. You really want to do something worthwhile for your party, tell Harry Reid the lying slimeball, to keep his filthy, rotten mouth shut. When a person of his political stature makes such an unfounded statement about a man about to run for president, you would do yourself a favor by asking him where he gets his information? I haven't found truth in anything that whole liberal tribe has spawned. And no, it doesn't take a lot of smarts to believe the truth, only common sense. Edited by rigney

As far as I can tell, what he said was that, under the US constitution, all citizens have equal voting rights, even if they are a "every wino, derelict (or) lazy bum" and that this state of affairs should continue for those who are from Ohio.

As far as I can tell, what he said was that, under the US constitution, all citizens have equal voting rights, even if they are a "every wino, derelict (or) lazy bum" and that this state of affairs should continue for those who are from Ohio.

May I ask why after 300 years does the President want to make it fair now?

It was (reasonably) fair until Ohio's republican governor decided to change it.

Obama wants to tell them to change it back.

Incidentally, re "I haven't found truth in anything that whole liberal tribe has spawned."

How about Obama is not a Moslem and he was born in the USA?

The interesting thing about those truths is that they were pointed out in direct response to lies from their opponents.

It was (reasonably) fair until Ohio's republican governor decided to change it.

Obama wants to tell them to change it back.

Incidentally, re "I haven't found truth in anything that whole liberal tribe has spawned."

How about Obama is not a Moslem and he was born in the USA?

The interesting thing about those truths is that they were pointed out in direct response to lies from their opponents.

As I undestand, his birth and birth certificate are among other things still in question. I got over them when he was elected. Edited by rigney

You are, clearly, entitled to stand on the side of the fence labelled as "conspiracy theorist" if you like.

Of course, Obama's place of birth only matters because of the constitution.

If you are prepared to ignore that (in the manner of someone removing early voting rights from some, but not all citizens) then he's a legitimate president anyway.

No friend! but when you seem to suggest that every wino, derelict and lazy bum you know should get the same respect as our service personnel, you've barking up the wrong tree.

Wow. Just... yeah... wow.

tell Harry Reid the lying slimeball, to keep his filthy, rotten mouth shut. When a person of his political stature makes such an unfounded statement about a man about to run for president, you would do yourself a favor by asking where he gets his information from?

How would we know whether or not he's lying? Romney refuses to release his tax returns. Simply doing that... just like pretty much every other political contender in the past several decades has done... including his own dad who called for candidates to release at least 12 years when he ran back in the day... including ROMNEY HIMSELF back in 1994 AND 2002... simply releasing those records could prove that Reid is a "dirty liar" as Reince Preibus (chair of the RNC) called him this morning on This Week.

536610_10151155204512502_2083667727_n.jpg

Edited by iNow

Wow. Just... yeah... wow.

How would we know whether or not he's lying? Romney refuses to release his tax returns. Simply doing that... just like pretty much every other political contender in the past several decades has done... including his own dad who called for candidates to release at least 12 years when he ran back in the day... including ROMNEY HIMSELF back in 1994 AND 2002... simply releasing those records could prove that Reid is a "dirty liar" as Reince Preibus (chair of the RNC) called him this morning on This Week.

536610_10151155204512502_2083667727_n.jpg

I'm not going to squabble about this. If he's lying and the truth tells it as such, I have no idea what I might call him. But that pompus ass from Nevada accusing him because a contact told, forget it.

As far as I can tell, he's an idiot or a crook.

If he's fiddling his taxes then he's a crook.

If he isn't fiddling then he can show the world his tax returns.

Not only will this avoid the potential lost votes from people who say "I would vote for him, but I can't trust him because he's hiding his tax returns" but he has a God-given opportunity to make his opponent look stupid.

Failing to make use of those advantages is just plain dumb.

As far as I can tell, he's an idiot or a crook.

If he's fiddling his taxes then he's a crook.

If he isn't fiddling then he can show the world his tax returns.

Not only will this avoid the potential lost votes from people who say "I would vote for him, but I can't trust him because he's hiding his tax returns" but he has a God-given opportunity to make his opponent look stupid.

Failing to make use of those advantages is just plain dumb.

Or himself? Maybe so, but after seeing this administrations hog wallowing around for 3 1/2 yrs., and getting away with it, anything is possible. Edited by rigney

No friend! but when you seem to suggest that every wino, derelict and lazy bum you know should get the same respect as our service personnel, you've barking up the wrong tree.

Wow. Shades of Animal Farm. Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others.

Any other parts of the Constitution you want to toss out?

Wow. Shades of Animal Farm. Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others.

Sometimes I look at modern protest signs (both left and right) and wonder how "Four legs good, two legs bad!" manages to actually pack more math and tangible claims than the vast majority of them.

My bet is the Constitution is far too sacred to toss any parts out, at least until the next five minute outrage video de jour.

The problem with me is, I want to keep the constitution around for many more years. Folks like Rom Emanuel who want to kick business out of town because he doesn't like their belief will get it done quick enough. By Golly! You have the compassion of a Minister, Priest and Rabbi. Bless your heart. Edited by rigney

The problem with me is, I want to keep the constitution around for many more years. Folks like Rom Emanuel who want to kick business out of town because he doesn't like their belief will get it done quick enough. By Golly! You have the compassion of a Minister, Priest and Rabbi. Bless your heart.

Yet, if you want to open a business that includes even a subset of abortion related services, you can't even name all the conservatives trying to kick you out of town for your beliefs Constitution be damned.

I am not equivocating evils here (that's non-productive) and even though I have no patience for bigots I have even less for selective bigotry - we can't be a tolerant society if we are selectively tolerant, period.

Jokes aside, I think Jon Stewart says it pretty well in this clip and he's often called a pretty far left guy, at least from the far right.

Yet, if you want to open a business that includes even a subset of abortion related services, you can't even name all the conservatives trying to kick you out of town for your beliefs Constitution be damned.

I am not equivocating evils here (that's non-productive) and even though I have no patience for bigots I have even less for selective bigotry - we can't be a tolerant society if we are selectively tolerant, period.

Jokes aside, I think Jon Stewart says it pretty well in this clip and he's often called a pretty far left guy, at least from the far right.

Stewart is one of my favorite comics, bar none. He's very intellegent and makes his points jump out at you regardless of what the fuss is about. But you've got to give Huckabee a little credit also, he's a pretty good comedian himself. 'wink'. And bigotry, I dont understand selective bigotry at all? A bigot is bigot, as much as a liar is a liar. And to harm a person because the two of you disagree is exactly why this world is so screwed up. But tolerance and respect? They are two entirely different things. I may have to tolerate scum whether I like it or not, but I sure don't have to respect it. Edited by rigney

The problem with me is, I want to keep the constitution around for many more years.

But you just advocated stripping rights from people who are, in your view, "lazy bums". And instead if addressing this apparent contradiction, you change the subject:

Folks like Rom Emanuel who want to kick business out of town because he doesn't like their belief will get it done quick enough. By Golly! You have the compassion of a Minister, Priest and Rabbi. Bless your heart.

Emanuel was rightly panned by a number of people, including those on the left. There are a number of people, on both sides of the aisle, who don't understand what free speech means.

But you just advocated stripping rights from people who are, in your view, "lazy bums". And instead if addressing this apparent contradiction, you change the subject:

Emanuel was rightly panned by a number of people, including those on the left. There are a number of people, on both sides of the aisle, who don't understand what free speech means.

I see that you put a lot of selective argument and reasoning into your answers. Against a guy like me you are safe, but I will still have my say. And were did I say that I deny equal rights to anyone? Nowhere! Giving our military personnel a three day grace period so they might get out of a fox hole to a better place of safety where they may have time to vote without addled thoughts is not changing the constitution, but a good reason. Trying to put everyone else into the same catagory giving it something that looks like a constitutionl correction is nothing but hype. The scum still get to vote, along with the regular crowd. And no one has taken that right from them. All they have to do is get off their lazy asses and go to the polls. Yes, Rohm Emanuel was castigated for his stupidity, but the jerk should have been fired; along with the other three or four nutty mayors who agreed with him. You can't have it both ways T Man and that seems to be your intent. Yes, every citizen redardless of their sexual, religious or political convictions in this country deserve a fair and equal chance at anything through the constitutions protection, but nothing more. I'm neither religious, bigoted, rich, poor or a scum ball, and I will gladly die for the safety of our constitution, every day. For without it we will have advanced this far only to begin our suffering.

And the red -1 is from me. I totally disagree with your assumption and miswording that I would take away any rights from anyone even the scum, other than having them wearing their smelly two week old underware another two weeks.

You do so like to change the meaning of things, don't you. I said nothing of rights, only respect. You made the other assumption. Edited by rigney

I see that you put a lot of selective argument and reasoning into your answers. Against a guy like me you are safe, but I will still have my say.

If you find fault with my reasoning, by all means make a counterargument. I'm begging you to make a counterargument, rather than just changing the topic or posting some non-sequitur that one might see on a bumper sticker.

And were did I say that I deny equal rights to anyone? Nowhere!

My mistake. I thought you were posting a justification for the law. Instead, it's just another diversion, about respect.

Giving our military personnel a three day grace period so they might get out of a fox hole to a better place of safety where they may have time to vote without addled thoughts is not changing the constitution, but a good reason. Trying to put everyone else into the same catagory giving it something that looks like a constitutionl correction is nothing but hype.

This is a law in the state of Ohio. How many service members are in foxholes or bunkers, needing a "better place of safety", in Ohio?

The scum still get to vote, along with the regular crowd. And no one has taken that right from them. All they have to do is get off their lazy asses and go to the polls.

They want to, but the new law makes that harder. That's the whole point of the lawsuit — the state is reducing their ability to get to the polls. How do you know that these people are lazy? On the contrary, I would assume the law is for people that work all day and have a bit of a commute, so even polls open from 7-7 do not afford them the ability to vote unless they are able to take time off.

The Constitutional issue I was thinking of was equal protection under the law, which has been the reason for striking down some unfair voting practices. There's also the spirit of the 24th amendment regarding poll taxes; eliminating the voting access for some but not others might be viewed as a similar burden.

Yes, Rohm Emanuel was castigated for his stupidity, but the jerk should have been fired; along with the other three or four nutty mayors who agreed with him. You can't have it both ways T Man and that seems to be your intent. Yes, every citizen redardless of their sexual, religious or political convictions in this country deserve a fair and equal chance at anything through the constitutions protection, but nothing more. I'm neither religious, bigoted, rich, poor or a scum ball, and I will gladly die for the safety of our constitution, every day. For without it we will have advanced this far only to begin our suffering.

And the red -1 is from me. I totally disagree with your assumption and miswording that I would take away any rights from anyone even the scum, other than having them wearing their smelly two week old underware another two weeks.

If you live in Chicago you'll have the opportunity to fire him at the next election.

You do so like to change the meaning of things, don't you. I said nothing of rights, only respect. You made the other assumption.

Yes, I assumed the comment was in some way relevant to the discussion. As I stated above, my mistake.