What politics is controlled by in the united states.

too-open-minded

Greed, So until the general population realizes that the only way their going to change things is by not being greedy. Things will only stay the same, or get worse.

I'm not saying the government is trying to control money for themselves and are out to get us. I get highly annoyed by people thinking things like this, so please go somewhere else with that crap.

If you think our government has no corruption in it, please let me hear your argument.

I don't think anyone would deny that greed drives people... especially politicians.

An appeal to mass catharsis seems pretty far fetched though. People respond to incentives, not vague moral appeals.

HYPOTHETICALLY! we strive to do these things. It sounds bad but think about Johnothan Swift - a modest proposal.

You get together with people and synchronize events, everyone only buy certain brand name gas for a month. Tell other gas stations if they meet our demands of opening schools like this one --------------------------------------- >http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/67708-making-the-future-possible/page__p__690541__fromsearch__1#entry690541 <-------------------------------------------------

We will start buying their gas again, demand for the little things we are deprived of that we know will only undoubtedly be for the good-will of everyone else.

This is years down the road if the grip greed has on our government tightens, Although I think people in the top few percentile will realize that if they don't make some more social ladders our economy is bound to get owned by us. So we never really will have to result to my outlandish idea.

We would have to literally be very well conducted, almost work as a direct democracy where everyone votes. People would have to start keeping their word and put the preservation of their brother or sister on the same level as their own.

I said if we overcome our greed we can do it, I never said its gonna be easy.

I don't think anyone would deny that greed drives people... especially politicians.

An appeal to mass catharsis seems pretty far fetched though. People respond to incentives, not vague moral appeals.

Political leaders do try, though.

What comes to mind is the famous quote from President John F Kennedy's inaugural speech:

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country. "

See http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/BqXIEM9F4024ntFl7SVAjA.aspx

Edited by Bill Angel

Yeah not everyone in politics is corrupt, just a large enough amount to piss me off.

2% of taxes is invested in the education of our nations youth...................... 2 PERCENT OF OUR M*&%$##*ING f*^&ING TAXES.

Edited by too-open-minded

Yeah not everyone in politics is corrupt, just a large enough amount to piss me off.

2% of taxes is invested in the education of our nations youth...................... 2 PERCENT OF OUR M*&%$##*ING f*^&ING TAXES.

Dont worry, at least you are safe, The US defence budget is over 700 Billion dollars.

The u.s spends more on its military than the rest of the world combined, which is why we arent pushed around. Your argument is very solid.

I'm just going to move to sweden when I have the money.

Maybe, just maybe, they would still not get pushed around if their military expenditure was half what it is and then you could spend another third of a trillion dollars on healthcare or education.

Do you think that spending more than the next highest spending 4 countries put together would afford an acceptable level of protection?

(China, Russia, UK, and France)

That would roughly halve the buget.

Perhaps you are worried that we would all gang up on you? :unsure:

(data from here)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

Of course, there may be some other explanation- other than security- why a right wing government decides to spend so many tax dollars with a small number of companies who support their party.

Edited by John Cuthber

Political leaders do try, though.

What comes to mind is the famous quote from President John F Kennedy's inaugural speech:

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country. "

See http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/BqXIEM9F4024ntFl7SVAjA.aspx

Pretty words, but I'd argue that many of the gov't-driven initiatives that improved tech and innovation during the 1960s was a direct result of people's fears during the Cold War and that the level of greed had nothing to do with it.