Rainforest New To Science, Mozambique

secretcompass

In September I am off to traverse a rainforest in Mozambique that was only discovered by scientists from Kew Gardens, London in 2005 and as far as they were concerned no one new anything about what was in the forest.

When they went in 2008 they discovered some species of snake, bird, butterfly and a number of other species completely new to science.

Thinking its fantastic that the world still has places to explore (in a responsible manner of course).

Anyone out there have any places on the planet they would love to explore?

I dunno - newly discovered rainforest in Mozambique sounds pretty good to me! I love spending time on a tiny island and over two to three weeks learning and mapping the trails and animal paths, the rockfalls and impassable areas, the secret beaches and hidden springs - you get the picture. I like long views over the sea more than anything so maybe rainforest wouldn't be my ideal - but anywhere outside london and with no traffic noise is pretty good for me

In September I am off to traverse a rainforest in Mozambique that was only discovered by scientists from Kew Gardens, London in 2005 and as far as they were concerned no one new anything about what was in the forest.

I hope this isn't tangential to your goal for this thread, but would you please consider keeping us in the loop during your trip, assuming you'll have some opportunities to post some pictures and a bit of a travelogue, even if only afterwards? It would be very much appreciated.

I just recently got back from a field trip to the Osa Peninsula of Costa Rica - Corocovado National Park is nominally the most biodiverse int he world and we saw some amazing critters. Have fun exploring the jungle! - remember your bug spray! [i also have many extremely amateur wildlife photos - happy to start the amateur wildlife photo/field trip report thread if Phi would like]

I just recently got back from a field trip to the Osa Peninsula of Costa Rica - Corocovado National Park is nominally the most biodiverse int he world and we saw some amazing critters. Have fun exploring the jungle! - remember your bug spray! [i also have many extremely amateur wildlife photos - happy to start the amateur wildlife photo/field trip report thread if Phi would like]

I think that would be an excellent idea.

[i also have many extremely amateur wildlife photos - happy to start the amateur wildlife photo/field trip report thread if Phi would like]

Oh, aye! This could end up as a subsection of Amateur Science or Ecology and the Environment. +1

Jealousss :(

Can you please, Arete?

Very happy to post a report on my trip to the jungle. Will make sure to add photos too. Agree with anywhere outside the Big Smoke as an ideal destination.

I ran a beach lodge in NE Mozambique for 9 months 2010-2011. There was no tourism there and we had 12kms of beach to ourselves. No electricity or running water just pure nature which was bliss. Went swimming in the warm Indian Ocean everyday after a hard days work, good for the soul.

If anyone wants to get back to nature and see some unique wildlife I cannot recommend Mozambique enough. People are wonderful too.If anyone want advice re travelling there more than happy to help.

I ran a beach lodge in NE Mozambique for 9 months 2010-2011. There was no tourism there and we had 12kms of beach to ourselves. No electricity or running water just pure nature which was bliss. Went swimming in the warm Indian Ocean everyday after a hard days work, good for the soul.

Jealousss :(

me too. I would second (third) the idea of posting snaps from these expeditions - both Arete's and Secretcompasses.

My colleagues have just completed the first east to west trek of Madagascar so I will try and put some photographs in the link. What do you want in there animals, landscapes or just anything that is great to look at?

Yes to animals, yes to landscapes, yes to things that are great to look at - any commentary/blog-stuff would be even better

• 3 weeks later...

If your question is there any other place to explore by YOU, yes, Borneo, Celebes and it's neighboring islands.

II was born in one of these islands. I lived, as a boy, within the fringe of the jungle and a mile within civilization and explore the wilds sometimes all by myself walking barefoot. That was part of my growing up. Of course I didn't know the danger I could have gotten into but I just loved the wildlife and often collected some strange animals like the Rhino beetle. When I was in my late twenties studying in England I talked of fly snakes then, but some folks from the Western world (England) thought I was delirious. Nobody even seen or knew of flying foxes. Not anymore.

The only thing that digust me of living there is the parasites living in you that you may have to deal with daily. With modern medicine this will be just a discomfort. The natives of North Western Borneo (Ibans, Dayaks, Murut, etc) will greet you with the utmost respect as long as you bring them essential stuffs for their daily use. Things are different now of course.... but still not much explored by Westerners today. You could name a species after you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.