18th & 19th century chemistry

music

Chasing the Molecule

John Buckingham 2004

Sutton Publishing

Good for your purposes because it integrates chemistry with society, but not comprhensive.

Edited by studiot

Chasing the Molecule

John Buckingham 2004

Sutton Publishing

Good for your purposes because it integrates chemistry with society, but not comprhensive.

Looks very interesting, though. Thank you!

Perhaps not specific to the 18th and 19th centuries, and includes both astrophysics and chemistry, but it provides a good historical account that I thoroughly enjoyed.

The Magic Furnace, by Marcus Chown.

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

Since it covers the history nearly all science, only some of it covers the topic you seek. But it contains great stories in historical context. I've read it twice now. Highly recommended.

I don't have anything very specific to offer, but I must mention these excellent books as worth checking out: Napoleon's Buttons, and The Disappearing Spoon.

The following titles are from one of my wish lists and I'm quite sure I was made aware of one of these through Bryson's book mentioned above.

Crucibles: The Story of Chemistry from Ancient Alchemy to Nuclear Fission

Creations Of Fire: Chemistry's Lively History From Alchemy To The Atomic Age

• 2 weeks later...

"Historia de la química" by William H Brock is a materpiece. This is the book where I did learn that Newton was a chemist and that he did research in his own alchemical laboratory!

My volume is in Spanish and I do not know exactly what is the English version. I suppose that is this