I am the Scorpion King

Sayonara

"Its only grows 20cm long."

Well then, we have to do ourselves some scorpion stretching.

It's good though that Sayonara can now play God somewhere else than SFN. j/k :) Perhaps you should attach titanium extra claws to them and have scorpion pit fights?

Edit: "How much does it take to entertain a creature with a brain the size of your fingernail?"

Well, having a war with Iraq usually entertains one creature of that sort quite a bit, it seems.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much does it take to entertain a creature with a brain the size of your fingernail?

To be honest I think that's doing them credit.

They do have an unusual eye arrangement though - median eyes in the middle of the carapace, like a spider, with lateral eye groups to the front left and right. Kind of like an eye triangle.

Apparently they also have strange slit-like sensors in their legs, which are pressure sensitive, along with a host of other sensory apparatus. They must have a complex nervous system to cross-process everything they pick up, but then they are one of the oldest arachnids.

I can see one now - I think it's The Idiot. Looks like a male.

Its only grows 20cm long.

You say "only", but it is one of the largest species.

Lengths of 30cm are uncommon but not unknown :eek:

sounds like fun. can you buy them at a pet store? how do you take care of them? i guess they eat crickets, but do i need something like a heat lamp

I bought mine from the web site of a pet shop in Southampton, UK. It was £15 for three juveniles (special offer), or £13 for an adult. So I went for the "make sure they haven't been conditioned to be psychotic by watching them develop yourself" approach.

My set up is:

18" L x 10" W x 6" H plastic terrarium with tight-fitting lid and dividing wall (they like a small space when they're young, so they can have the extra space when they grow up - also good to have a compartment full of damp sphagnum for the humidity).

An 8" x 5" heating pad, which sticks to the bottom of the terrarium. This is covering half of the terrarium so that there is a cool area and a warm area (cold blooded, so they need to be able to regulate their own temp.)

Pine chip substrate - shallow on the heated side and getting deeper on the cool side, so they can burrow.

A large cork bark hide, half in each temp. zone.

Water pool thingy, and copious quantities of damp sphagnum moss.

The humidity is meant to be kept at about 80% by giving them a quick spray every now and then but I have no idea how to monitor the levels. Any ideas?

Right now they are feeding on crickets, but they will basically devour any non-pungent creature that crosses their path, up to a third or even a half of their own size. Some even eat mice or lizards.

Behold another of my crappy paint diagrams!

tank.GIF

How much does it take to entertain a creature with a brain the size of your fingernail?

To be honest I think that's doing them credit.

They do have an unusual eye arrangement though - median eyes in the middle of the carapace, like a spider, with lateral eye groups to the front left and right. Kind of like an eye triangle.

Apparently they also have strange slit-like sensors in their legs, which are pressure sensitive, along with a host of other sensory apparatus. They must have a complex nervous system to cross-process everything they pick up, but then they are one of the oldest arachnids.

I can see one now - I think it's The Idiot. Looks like a male.

Its only grows 20cm long.

You say "only", but it is one of the largest species.

Lengths of 30cm are uncommon but not unknown :eek:

sounds like fun. can you buy them at a pet store? how do you take care of them? i guess they eat crickets, but do i need something like a heat lamp

I bought mine from the web site of a pet shop in Southampton, UK. It was £15 for three juveniles (special offer), or £13 for an adult. So I went for the "make sure they haven't been conditioned to be psychotic by watching them develop yourself" approach.

My set up is:

18" L x 10" W x 6" H plastic terrarium with tight-fitting lid and dividing wall (they like a small space when they're young, so they can have the extra space when they grow up - also good to have a compartment full of damp sphagnum for the humidity).

An 8" x 5" heating pad, which sticks to the bottom of the terrarium. This is covering half of the terrarium so that there is a cool area and a warm area (cold blooded, so they need to be able to regulate their own temp.)

Pine chip substrate - shallow on the heated side and getting deeper on the cool side, so they can burrow.

A large cork bark hide, half in each temp. zone.

Water pool thingy, and copious quantities of damp sphagnum moss.

The humidity is meant to be kept at about 80% by giving them a quick spray every now and then but I have no idea how to monitor the levels. Any ideas?

Right now they are feeding on crickets, but they will basically devour any non-pungent creature that crosses their path, up to a third or even a half of their own size. Some even eat mice or lizards.

Behold another of my crappy paint diagrams!