Are Some People Born Evil?

jimmydasaint

Just a thought here. By evil, I mean are there people who are born with a complete lack of empathy towards other individuals and therefore are completely selfish and self-serving? If so, the concern is that can we blame these people for their subsequent actions or do we contextualise their evil with their particular genomic profile?

In short if you are born with the genetic profile of a murderer and then go on to murder people. can you claim that your genetic predisposition can provide suitable extenuating circumstances?

Just a thought here. By evil, I mean are there people who are born with a complete lack of empathy towards other individuals and therefore are completely selfish and self-serving? If so, the concern is that can we blame these people for their subsequent actions or do we contextualise their evil with their particular genomic profile?

In short if you are born with the genetic profile of a murderer and then go on to murder people. can you claim that your genetic predisposition can provide suitable extenuating circumstances?

i think evil or good can be killed within

everyone has a voice inside

and everyone must pick one at some point in their life to kill

A shade of light must fall

speak their name

who will be your tainted light

you wish to survive

the evil pounding on the walls of your mind

speak their name

can you serve up a willing sacrifice

for the depths of your rage

shall soon wash over you in a wave

speak their name who will be your tainted light

and will the sacrificed seek vengeance

or will the fallen be given a soul

who shall be your tainted light

speak their name

for he who has many

has arrived

and the prison in your mind

has become shattered

but not broken

speak their name

and will this offering blind the best that lay

within your own reflection

or serve you up to be consumed by its truth

speak their name

one must die

who shall be your tainted lamb

By Olala ^.^)/

Edited by Lala

Well, I have some poetic and some interesting answers. However, is it possible that we are talking about psycopathy as a lack of empathy towards an individual and we can then classify this as being evil. I take that it is not easy to distinguish evil people from those that have empathy, by conversation or by a questionnaire of some sort, otherwise it would be easy to disengage socially from these people. I have a professionally qualified friend who quite openly wishes to take a baseball bat to his managers and has said that he has, in his head, rehearsed a routine where he can 'bash these people to death'. He also has problems with explosive anger. Are these signs of psycopathy or evil. He is also a committed Christian, which implies to me that the environment can control or ameliorate the natural feelings to get even and to kill others that wrong you.

Any thoughts?

And death shall have no dominion.

Dead men naked they shall be one

With the man in the wind and the west moon;

When their bones are picked clean and the clean bones gone,

They shall have stars at elbow and foot;

Though they go mad they shall be sane,

Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again;

Though lovers be lost love shall not;

And death shall have no dominion.

Dylan Thomas

I have a professionally qualified friend who quite openly wishes to take a baseball bat to his managers and has said that he has, in his head, rehearsed a routine where he can 'bash these people to death'. He also has problems with explosive anger. Are these signs of psycopathy or evil. He is also a committed Christian, which implies to me that the environment can control or ameliorate the natural feelings to get even and to kill others that wrong you.

I don't know if they're a sign that he's evil, or a psychopath, or a sociopath, but they may be a sign that he's mentally unstable and could benefit from professional help.

To answer the OP, I don't think there's such as thing as "an evil person". Perhaps the closest to this would be a sociopath or psychopath, but many people who commit "evil" crimes aren't actually "evil". Rather, they seem to have a history that basically pushes them into that life. For example, people who are abused as children are more likely to commit crimes as adults. Under-education, poverty and a feeling of powerless may make child murders by mothers more likely. And of course, we've all heard about the effects of untreated post-tramautic stress disorder on soldiers ...

Isn't it true that when people are under a lot of pressure, they tend to do things that they perhaps wouldn't have done in a more relaxed environment?

People I don't think are born "evil", but rather born with under-developed brains that don't completely mature. To me there doesn't seem to be much difference between that type of emotional comprehension between a psychopath and that of an animal like a tiger. Tigers aren't evil, they just don't naturally care about humans the way way most people do and don't usually have a good reason to with all the hunting going on, and this is why they can be smart but still serial killers. They don't "have" to be born as a serial killer, but they more easily can be because they do not find compelling reasons to not kill people.

There's a movie that's related to this that I think is called "The bad seed", from the mid-20th century, it's black and white.

There's also the matter of environment being able to shape people. If people grow up in a violent environment, they will generally be more violent because they get into a habit of acting or thinking to be violent in order to survive they way they want.

Edited by questionposter