Why do you need to use contraception?

Moontanman

Employers have never asked/known anything about their employee's healthcare situations despite providing them with their healthcare insurance plans, so why start asking questions now, and why this question in particular?

Why do people need to use contraception?

• Contraceptives in general prevent pregnancies.
  • Condoms prevent transferring STDs.
  • The pill corrects irregular menstruation (I knew a women who underwent this treatment in 1935!).
  • The pill offers relief from painful menstruation.
  • The pill helps with other non-STD diseases (PCOS, PMDD, endometriosis, etc).

Edited by ewmon

Just another way that corporate interests can make you afraid of losing your job so you'll cower meekly and do as you're told. And conservative politicians get more religious votes. And insurance companies get to deny more coverage, knowing contraceptives will still be used but they won't have to pay for them. And pharmaceutical companies get more money faster than insurance companies pay out.

And probably above all, the politicians get to make everyone spin their wheels questioning such a stupid idea to take the spotlight off the really important issues like the economy, unemployment, horrible representation, corruption, Wall Street manipulations, whatever Neil Bush is currently up to....

Edited by Phi for All
added new thoughts

Employers have never asked/known anything about their employee's healthcare situations despite providing them with their healthcare insurance plans, so why start asking questions now, and why this question in particular?

This has actually been going on a while, it is just now in the spotlight because they want to pass a law about it. The hospital my mother-in-law works for has been doing this for years. They provide her with medical insurance, but any contraceptives she has to pay for herself. She provides her own contraception while her employers get to hold on to their religious sanctity. What's the problem with that?

If the employers don't trust the doctors to address the questions properly why do they pay them?

Incidentally, here in the UK where they seem to understand things bette,r most treatments, drugs or whatever are charged to the patient at a nominal fee. The fee is waived for those on low incomes, children, the unemployed etc.

However as I understand it, contraception is free: they don't ask how much you earn or for whom you work. They recognise that unplanned pregnancy is horribly expensive in personal and societal terms.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

I would be considered far-right on most of my social political beliefs, and I am generally not a supporter of "women's rights".

But I still do not think employers should be able to ask this about women. There are some questions that people should be protected from having to answer, especially when it concerns matters of privacy not very relevent to the job. I suspect this came from the religious conservatives.

I think progressive women should recognise that it is not the whole Republican Party they have a problem with, but mostly the conservative religious ones that "want to regulate female sexuality".

I would be considered far-right on most of my social political beliefs, and I am generally not a supporter of "women's rights".

But I still do not think employers should be able to ask this about women. There are some questions that people should be protected from having to answer, especially when it concerns matters of privacy not very relevent to the job. I suspect this came from the religious conservatives.

I think progressive women should recognise that it is not the whole Republican Party they have a problem with, but mostly the conservative religious ones that "want to regulate female sexuality".

I think that the women concerned would find that easier if the Republican party threw out the people with a perverted interest in other people's private lives; or at least tried to distance themselves from them. As it stands, they vote them in to power.

The fact that they do not realise that this is wrong is, in my opinion, enough grounds to vote against them even if you agree with, for example, their view on government spending.