What's the name of those canal-like structures

ewmon

I'm trying to write a letter and I need the name of those concrete structures, apparently mostly in cities, that act like canals to channel excessive water caused by storms; otherwise they are dry. In the movies, kids ride their bikes in them or car chases end up in them, both of which are probably illegal in real life.

This is embarrassing :embarass: ... any help out there?

I know what will happen. As soon as I read the name that someone supplies, I'll recognize it immediately. :doh:

Thanks!

Okay, "flood control channel" sounds close to what I'm thinking, so I'll give it a ½ or even ¾ of a :doh:.

Are there common, vernacular expressions for them?

GOOGLE HITS -- NAME

2,200 K -- flood control channel

370 K -- flood channel

102 K -- flood canal

43 K -- flood control canal

25 K -- flood control ditch

10 K – storm ditch

7 K – storm canal

Okay, at 80% of the hits, "flood control channel" receives top honors :doh:.

Unfortunately, none of these names as well as "drainage ditch" (too far afield, literally) and "storm channel" (too ambiguous, sounds like the TV station to turn to for weather forecasts) seems exactly what I was thinking of, except for "flood canal" and "storm canal" (which add up to a lousy 4%). I would say that one of these is what I was thinking of. Apparently, my recall isn't what it used to be. (Please call our 800 number for customer service. Thank you, and have a nice day.)

Thanks Spyman and hypervalent_iodine. :)