Finally getting the picture

Divagating the Future

I get it now. I understand. Why should I hide my talents; others don't.

Anyone who thinks they're important is usually just a pompous moron who can't deal with his or her own pathetic insignificance and the fact that what they do is meaningless and inconsequential.

William Thomas

At risk of sounding foully pompous I think that writers' groups are probably very useful at the beginning of a writing career.

Bernard Cornwell

I'm not ashamed I graduated from a high school for the gifted at 15 1/2 years old. Why waste time learning such easy stuff. And hey, Someone's got to graduate #1 in their class, why shouldn't that one be me?

Dr. Ushie Mayna

Career is too pompous a word. It was a job, and I have always felt privileged to be among the top 99+% of wage earners for what I love doing. And I do take great joy being allowed to donate $450,000+/yr. to make people happy while still having plenty to keep myself happy.

Dr. Ushie Mayna.

Here's something pompous - you take your day and artistically create it, so every moment has an artistic flavor and get very wealthy doing it..

William Shatner

So I only scored a 1490 on my S.A.T test when I was 15. There were lots of kids that scored lower.

Dr. Ushie Mayna

I hate elitists. I hate conceited people. I hate pompous people.

Neil Cavuto

I hope this doesn't sound pompous but I don't think of myself as famous, whatever fame I've got has come through what I've done and associations of things I've done. I just that good.

Peter Cushing

I think my mission is to become the greatest human ever. I know that sounds pompous, but what else do we have?

Kathleen Turner

Sure being a Psychiatrist paid well. $200/per 45 minute session is not bad. But it sure doesn't pay what I now earn.

Dr. Ushie Mayna

I wrote the book because I wanted to be able to share some things that I had learned and as pompous as that may sound, as you get to a certain point in life, you figure so what am I doing?

Goldie Hawn

If you can get humor and seriousness at the same time, you've created a special little thing, and that's what I'm looking for, because if you get pompous, you lose everything.

Paul Simon

Maxwell is serious, dedicated, awkward, forgetful, pompous to a certain degree, sentimental, and rich.

Don Adams

Most of the time when I receive a script, it says something like 'Rosenberg is the fat, slovenly Mayor, who doesn't want the kids to use the skateboard park', or 'Stein is a pompous, rotund attorney, imposing to all.' It would be so freeing to get a script where my character is simply described as 'A Man'.

Fred Melamed

Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but don't let them take you ALIVE.

Sid Vicious

War is something Arafat sends others to do for him. That is, the poor souls who believe in him. This pompous incompetent caused the failure of the Camp David negotiations, Clinton's mediation.

Oriana Fallaci

Well, I don't think anyone now would say that they're painting the state of the culture of America. I think that's too grand and pompous a thing for anybody to claim.

Donald Judd

Sure there are others having a 154iq or higher. Granted not too many.. Iq is no big deal. It's only a score on some test.

Dr. Ushie Mayna

There's nothing wrong lettin people know what your talents are.

It could perhaps be inpirational

Edited by Queen of Wands

I can see why pompous is the theme of this thread.

I don't know why pompous is a religious topic, or what we're supposed to discuss, but I think it's pompous to mix your own quotes in with those of famous people.

Btw, you added the "rich" part to the Don Adams quote, which is dishonest as well as pompous. Missed it by THAT much!

Sure there are others having a 154iq or higher. Granted not too many.. Iq is no big deal. It's only a score on some test.

Dr. Ushie Mayna

The number on an IQ test varies so much from test to test as to be essentially worthless.

Edited by ydoaPs

I can see why pompous is the theme of this thread.

I don't know why pompous is a religious topic, or what we're supposed to discuss, but I think it's pompous to mix your own quotes in with those of famous people.

Btw, you added the "rich" part to the Don Adams quote, which is dishonest as well as pompous. Missed it by THAT much!

You are 100% correct. I made a mistake. I did tell you I have ADD. Having ADD does have some advantages though. I can get by without sleep for days at a time. But the draw-backs don not complement the benefits.

Sorry I posted this in the wrong category. Really, I sincerely mean that. But I think it unfair of you to infer my mixing myself with the likes of the such. I wouldn't think that of you. My momma taught me we are all the same..regardless.

Ushie

Soft dreams to you.

The number on an IQ test varies so much from test to test as to be essentially worthless.

The SD on most iq tests is 8 from the mean. So while i agree upon its worth I know it is quite consistent and has a high reliability index.

There's nothing wrong lettin people know what your talents are.

You are right and it is essential to do this in the workplace or when looking for work. A bit of self-promotion is great, as is confidence and enthusiasm.

But beware, no one likes a complete narcissist who clearly thinks they are better than everyone else.

You are right and it is essential to do this in the workplace or when looking for work. A bit of self-promotion is great, as is confidence and enthusiasm.

But beware, no one likes a complete narcissist who clearly thinks they are better than everyone else.

I did it cause I getting tired of getting put down with everything I write. There's

this in particular computer policeman that has harnessed my since I first registered..I got 12 negatives within 4 days.

Go Figure.

Really I am a very amiable woman but ya just so as reach a point..ya know?

Good day sir,

Ushie.

I don't see the point of flaunting your talents somewhere they are irrelevant i.e. on an anonymous internet forum. That's not pompous, just rather pointless, even calling into question the claimed IQ.

Well, sir, if ya as to so have been harrassed as was I, you would better understand.

I did it cause I getting tired of getting put down with everything I write. There's

this in particular computer policeman that has harnessed my since I first registered..I got 12 negatives within 4 days.

FYI members can only vote once on any single post and further more only give one negative vote each day.

I did it cause I getting tired of getting put down with everything I write.

Only a couple of your posts have attracted negative votes, so it is inaccurate to say that everything you say is put down.

I view a negative vote as a wake up call to assess what has been unattractive in my post. In the few instances where I have had negative votes they have seemingly been awarded by another member with whom I am having an energetic debate. If I received multiple negative votes - something that has not yet occured - I would suspect that what I had written was seriously against the spirit of the forum, i.e. it was anti-science in some way.

However, what I want to emphasise is that in both these cases I have accepted that the cause of the negative vote lies in what I have written. In contrast, you seem to wish to put the blame on those giving the negative vote, rather than assessing the quality and tone of what you have written.

Well, sir, if ya as to so have been harrassed as was I, you would better understand.

I have looked at all of your posts and I see no evidence of harassment. I see a handful of your posts being attacked for what other members seem to have judged as illogical or anti-science. The solution to that situation is simple: stop posting things that are illogical or anti-science.

There's

this in particular computer policeman that has harnessed my since I first registered.

I'm sure you mean me.

In fact, in a thread right after you had joined, you misunderstood something hypervalent_iodine said so I clarified what she meant. Then you started spamming my profile page with vile accusations about me chastising you in public and calling hypervalent_iodine a drunk Australian and me a racist. That's OK I guess, I can choose not to approve things on my profile page.

Next, you started copy/pasting other people's work without citation, and plagiarism is against the rules you agreed to when you signed up. In that regard, I am a policeman here, and I think the membership appreciates my efforts. Perhaps I let myself wonder why someone who claimed to have a doctorate degree would post the work of others and not give them credit. You should know better.

Then I Googled your name (which you have provided) and saw all the other sites that have suffered your sheepskin-shaking. This comes on the heels of a thread where we had been talking about Appeal to Authority fallacies, so perhaps I was a bit pre-conditioned to view your claims skeptically.

But I'm completely willing to believe you got off to a bad start and can improve. In fact, if you think I unfairly judge you, I can recuse myself from moderating your account. We have others on Staff so it's not a problem and will hopefully be more fair for you.

I realise this is totally forbidden and against both written and unwritten rules but Queen of Wands/Ushie - and I apologize in advance for saying this - I think you are either lying or deluded. I think you are lying about your qualifications, about your name, about your achievements, and possibly even about your sex. I have no real factual or rational basis for my belief, and as such I probably should not make it public; but I do believe that you are an internet troll who has decided to create a personality, run with it, and annoy as many netizens as possible in the process.

Only a couple of your posts have attracted negative votes, so it is inaccurate to say that everything you say is put down.

I view a negative vote as a wake up call to assess what has been unattractive in my post. In the few instances where I have had negative votes they have seemingly been awarded by another member with whom I am having an energetic debate. If I received multiple negative votes - something that has not yet occured - I would suspect that what I had written was seriously against the spirit of the forum, i.e. it was anti-science in some way.

However, what I want to emphasise is that in both these cases I have accepted that the cause of the negative vote lies in what I have written. In contrast, you seem to wish to put the blame on those giving the negative vote, rather than assessing the quality and tone of what you have written.

I have looked at all of your posts and I see no evidence of harassment. I see a handful of your posts being attacked for what other members seem to have judged as illogical or anti-science. The solution to that situation is simple: stop posting things that are illogical or anti-science.

Thank you...I mean really↔ Thanks a whole bunch.

I am sorry that you do not feel welcome here.

All I will say is that it is not usual that new members get negative votes so quickly and generally we like to be welcoming. You posts must not be in line with what the members here want.

Think about what you want to get out of this forum and tailor what you put in accordingly.