"Consciousness," the missing 'unified theory' factor?

owl

I have never lied here.

You clearly have an easier time convincing yourself of that than anyone else. I just checked, and you've never been licensed as a psychologist in the state in which you live. I'm sure next you'll come up with some story about how you practiced before records were kept or in some other country or whatever other BS. I don't care. I really don't. I feel absolutely sorry for you with your bragging about how you are a polymath genius professional with a high IQ and whatever else.

Honestly, if you can't look yourself square in the face and like what you see then what do you expect of the people here?

Edited by Iggy

You clearly have an easier time convincing yourself of that than anyone else. I just checked, and you've never been licensed as a psychiatrist in the state in which you live. I'm sure next you'll come up with some story about how you practiced before records were kept or in some other country or whatever other BS.

And here I was just going with demonstrated ignorance.

Drugs taught me, particularly LSD, that our minds are a product of a machine...our brain...nothing more.

Who knows... but I must agree the only way to really appreciate the subject of consciousness is some good old fashioned experimenting.

I cant say I read through all these replies but I was surprised to not see anything about The Emperor's New Mind, a book by Roger Penrose [THIS IS NOT SPAM PLEASE DONT BLOCK ME]. Penrose is a bit of a technical writer but this one is an easier read. I thought it was very insightful and might help you understand the subject better.

Regarding Iggy’s continuing character assassination attempts, insisting that I am a liar::

I was certified by the OR. State Board of Psychologists Examiners (since you've stalked me to my state in violation of my expressed desire for privacy) with an MA equivalency for the purpose of counseling on that level in any civil service job in the state. That and practicing the profession of counseling psychology made my a psychologist without a clinical psych Phd. Apparently you don't know the difference between psychology and psychiatry, which I have never claimed.

Get over it.

Honestly, if you can't look yourself square in the face and like what you see then what do you expect of the people here?

Thanks for you concern about my self image. It's fine. I would not need to be defending my honesty without your unfounded slurs.

Wanna know about my being First Trustee on an 80 acre community land trust or my status as a Elder at the OR Country Fair... "Rainbow Man?" Well, that and all of the above 'Liar!, Liar!' crap you are dishing up is *a bit* off topic, about which no one here seems to care.

The thread would do just fine as a science of consciousness topic without my personal history or the one very simple and clearly remembered and recorded TRUE STORY above.

But true to form, personal attacks continue to be the norm here.

The thread would do just fine as a science of consciousness topic without my personal history or the one very simple and clearly remembered and recorded TRUE STORY above.

Why should we believe it's true when it has all of the earmarks of something which is susceptible to false memory?

I was certified by the OR. State Board of Psychologists Examiners

that's where I searched and that's where you're not. Clear?

(since you've stalked me to my state in violation of my expressed desire for privacy)

I have not and would not reveal your personal info to anyone and I've not and would not communicate with you except via this forum. If that is your idea of stalking then you really need to get out more. If posting your name and other info all over the internet is your idea of a desire for privacy then you aught to rethink your approach.

I would not need to be defending my honesty without your...

While I would take that as a compliment, it isn't true. Your honesty has been rejected far and wide before and by many others here than I.

*a bit* off topic

by all means... get yourself back on topic. I expect to make no headway here

Why should we believe it's true when it has all of the earmarks of something which is susceptible to false memory?

You "shouldn't." A good scientist "believes" nothing but stays open to all possibilities until they are proven wrong or very well verified. You either know or you don't know. "Belief" is for the religious and superstitious.

I agree that the account was, as any account from memory is, "susceptible" to false memory... in a very unlikely scenario in which I almost immediately forgot what happened, a very simple sequence of events, within a few days of the original experience.

I only insist that I am telling it as I experienced it, without intentional distortion.

I am very "used to" such skepticism, especially in my internet conversations in science forums, so don't give yourself too much credit as a threat and big debunker.

Ps: Please educate yourself on the difference between psychology, and its different requirements in different states, and psychiatry, which *almost* everyone knows requires a medical degree.

Edited by owl

Seriously, dude, pick up a psych book. Everything you've said about the incident screams false memory.

If posting your name and other info all over the internet is your idea of a desire for privacy then you aught to rethink your approach.

Indeed.

Ps: Please educate yourself on the difference between psychology, and its different requirements in different states, and psychiatry, which *almost* everyone knows requires a medical degree.

yeah, yeah, yeah...

You have no record of being licensed as a *psychologist*, either active or inactive, by the Oregon State Board of *Psychologists* Examiners. You've been caught. Is that clear?

Edited by Iggy

yeah, yeah, yeah...

You have no record of being licensed as a *psychologist*, either active or inactive, by the Oregon State Board of *Psychologists* Examiners. You've been caught. Is that clear?

You really don't pay attention to what I say. (It would really help.) I never said that I was "licensed" as a psychologist. Is that clear?

Do a little homework on Oregon law for practicing psychological counseling if you are all that intent on publicizing my credentials as your idea of an expose'.*

I would give you my full resume', but something tells me that would be too candid and revealing, 'perhaps' even abused, in total disregard for my expressed desire for privacy... plus being way off topic... which you continue to disregard as you continue your personal attack.

I submit to the forum that you 'seem' obsessed (clinically speaking) with that * personal agenda... and that is my professional diagnosis, even without a PhD degree in clinical psychology.

My certification was the result of the M.A. level test they gave (which I aced... no time for modesty here), and my experience as a "counselor" in two mental hospitals (in Denver) over a three year period during the war in Nam. (Plenty of battle stress syndrome and psychotic breaks to deal with.) I easily qualified to be a masters level counselor in all Oregon civil service jobs.

StringJunky:

I cant say I read through all these replies but I was surprised to not see anything about The Emperor's New Mind, a book by Roger Penrose [THIS IS NOT SPAM PLEASE DONT BLOCK ME]. Penrose is a bit of a technical writer but this one is an easier read. I thought it was very insightful and might help you understand the subject better.

I understand the subject very well already.

Here is a link very relevant to this "entanglement" concept:

Dean Radin: “Entangled Minds.”

http://www.deanradin.com/

Edit; Ps: Sorry;

It was ObserverB's post 53 quoting StringJunky's post on LSD above.

But entangled particles and entangled minds are a good subject of investigation for similarities.

yes

(To my):

I never...was "licensed" as a psychologist. Is that clear?

Edit:

The whole quote was:

I never said that I was "licensed" as a psychologist. Is that clear?

Your '...' omission is the difference between what I said and how you 'spun' it. I was not 'admitting' that I was unlicensed (which I had never claimed) but explaining the specifics of my certification as a counseling psychologist.

"Yes," what? "Yes," you understand the difference now, or now you retract your false accusations and apologize for clearly insinuating (false assumptions) and implying (false implied accusations) that I am a liar.?

that's where I searched and that's where you're not. Clear?

I am not registered as a ” licensed psychologist,” which requires the PhD in clinical psychology. Clear? I am a certified counselor in psychology at the M.A. level for civil service, as I already clearly explained. Clear? How about that apology?

Edited by owl

From the Oregon Board of Psychologist Examiners:

Question: What does it mean to represent myself as a psychologist?

Answer: Generally, you cannot say that you are a psychologist unless you are a licensed psychologist.

To represent oneself as a psychologist means to use a title such as “psychologist” or to say that you provide psychology services. Representation can be verbal or in print form.

There are exceptions to this, but what they boil down to is, 'you cannot call yourself a psychologist without a PhD'. A PhD you admit not to having.

So this?

Actually,that's not what I'm saying at all, though you are determined to spin it to be an inaccurate account (or a lie.) Like I've said a few times, it was a very simple sequence of events, unlike those which lend themselves to selective memory or distortion, with which I am very familiar as a psychologist. (Yes, I am, in fact, a retired psychologist, another 'believe it or not', which I care not in the least which you choose.)

Is now very nearly an appeal to authority disguised by a blatant misrepresentation of who you actually are - a bricklayer who pretends he's a psychologist.

There are exceptions to this, but what they boil down to is, 'you cannot call yourself a psychologist without a PhD'. A PhD you admit not to having.

So this?

Is now very nearly an appeal to authority disguised by a blatant misrepresentation of who you actually are - a bricklayer who pretends he's a psychologist.

I was, in fact, certified by the Oregon State Board of Psychologist Examiners as a counseling psychologist at the masters degree level as a result of a test they administered and my previous counseling experience as explained above.

I continued my skilled trade as a stonemason and bricklayer along with my counseling career, based on my MA equivalency, which I never misrepresented to clients as being a PhD level psychologist.

However, this thread is not entitled, "Owls credentials, or lack thereof, as a psychologist." I have honestly clarified that as best I can.

I still wonder how 'action at a distance' works in any/all cases, including entangled particles, gravity and conscious intention.

If no one here is interested in the subject, there is no point in continuing to defend my honesty as the now derailed subject of this thread.

In the spirit of this thread's intent, from Dean Radin at http://www.deanradin.com/NewWeb/bio.html

(my bold)

After studying these phenomena as a scientist for about 30 years, I've concluded that some psychic abilities are genuine, and as such, there are important aspects of the prevailing scientific worldview that are seriously incomplete. There is of course a huge anecdotal literature about psychic abilities, but the evidence that convinced me is the accumulated laboratory performance by people who do not claim to possess special abilities, collected under controlled conditions and published in peer-reviewed scientific journals.

There is ample room for scholarly debate about these topics, and I know a number of informed scientists whom I respect who have reached different conclusions. But I've also learned that those who assert with great confidence that there isn't any scientifically valid evidence for psychic abilities just don't know what they're talking about. In addition, the rants one finds in various online "skeptical" forums appear to be motivated by fundamentalist beliefs of the scientistic or religious kind, and not by a rational assessment of the relevant literature.

Edited by owl

Just a follow-up on the whole derailment of this thread into the credentials required of a psychologist... and the false accusation that I am a liar.

Reference; hypervalent-iodine's comment:

From the Bureau of Labor Statistics for psychologists;

Job opportunities should be the best for those with a doctoral degree in a subfield, such as health; those with a master’s degree will have good prospects in industrial-organization; bachelor’s degree holders will have limited prospects.

Counseling psychologists* advise people on how to deal with problems of everyday living, including problems in the home, place of work, or community, to help improve their quality of life.

*(edit: my field)

A master's or doctoral degree, and a license, are required for most psychologists.

...some States credential... psychologists with master's degrees.

However, competition for these jobs is keen because this is one of the few ways in which one can work as a psychologist without an advanced degree.

Clinical and counseling psychologists usually* need a doctorate in psychology, an approved internship, and 1 to 2 years of professional experience. In addition, all States require that applicants pass an examination. Most State licensing boards administer a standardized test, and many supplement that with additional oral or essay questions.

*(Edit: but not always.)

From Education-Portal.com

Psychologist: Educational Requirements

Becoming a psychologist usually requires a master's or doctoral degree.

Most psychologists need either a master's or doctoral degree in order to practice.

Individuals with master's degrees in psychology may qualify to work as industrial-organizational psychologists,...

Edit:

(...also in personnel departments of civil service jobs as a psychologist... also for private practice as an MA level psychologist, honestly advertised.)

The BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics) indicates that all states require psychologists who offer patient care to meet licensing or certification standards.

I met them.

Edited by owl

I just checked, and you've never been licensed as a psychologist in the state in which you live.

I was certified by the OR. State Board of Psychologists Examiners

I never said that I was "licensed" as a psychologist.

Are you one?

Are you one?

It's amazing that you still ask, assuming that you read my last post. I don't even know which part to repeat and "bold" again for you. Short answer... yes... retired now for quite a few years.

Ps; an afterthought:

Maybe you are confused about the difference between a license and the certification I have already explained in some detail.

Or maybe you are just hell bent on clinging to your longstanding project of "debunking" my credentials, since you have so much invested in it over such a long period of stalking me with that agenda. My often repeated counsel is that you just "get over it."

...and remind yourself what thread you are posting in... as to "topic" and all.

Edited by owl

That's closer to a guidance counselor than a psychologist. No wonder you don't know anything about psychology.

What a wasted life! A 170 to 178 IQ (SBIS to WAIS) and all that psychology education with a BS (behavioral) and then an M.A. equivalency certification and a long counseling career in five institutions in two states and I still don't know anything about psychology!

You know nothing about my career... yet you spout off.