Can anyone identify a picture for me that looks microscopic?

Dzamija

Q1: I live in a city (approx. 300.000 inhabitants), a University centre of the area.

Q2: I live in a dorm, to enter the dorm you need to have one of the ISIC cards that can open the dorm's door or you must ring for the doorman to open the door (in that case you must identify yourself, say the number of the room you're visiting and leave some identification for the doorman to write down, which you retrieve when you leave the dorm again). I asked the doorman if someone came to visit my room that day, but he said no one did. Only my close family and friends know my room number, and all of them were in our home town at the time. The only other person who knows this is my boyfriend, but he swears he didn't do this, and I believe him. I don't know any other person from my dorm.

Q3: I have a roomate, but she hasn't been to the dorm for almost two months due to holidays and bad weather. I asked her if she thinks that the envelope was for her, but she said she expected no mail and that she doesn't think it could be for her. Our room is at the end of the centre part of the building, next to it on the right is another hall (at the 90° angle), so no doors directly next to ours; I knocked on the door directly to our left to ask if they think the envelope was for them, but no one was there. Across the hall are readings rooms, no one lives there.

Q4: Yes, it was in pen, in cursive, the handwriting doesn't seem familiar to me (or to any of my friends that I showed it to).

Q5: I have never heard of the quote before, the only Einstein quote I know is on one of the pictures that switch on my desktop background: "Logic will get you from A to Z, imagination will get you everywhere." I don't know if the picture/quote thing means anything, but even if it does, and I should be doing something to prevent some sort of a problem, I don't know what that could be... Or what problem should I prevent.

And yeah, I managed to trace the type of the camera that names the file DSCN, it's a Nikon coolpix camera...

Q1: I live in a city (approx. 300.000 inhabitants), a University centre of the area.

Q2: I live in a dorm, to enter the dorm you need to have one of the ISIC cards that can open the dorm's door or you must ring for the doorman to open the door (in that case you must identify yourself, say the number of the room you're visiting and leave some identification for the doorman to write down, which you retrieve when you leave the dorm again). I asked the doorman if someone came to visit my room that day, but he said no one did. Only my close family and friends know my room number, and all of them were in our home town at the time. The only other person who knows this is my boyfriend, but he swears he didn't do this, and I believe him. I don't know any other person from my dorm.

Q3: I have a roomate, but she hasn't been to the dorm for almost two months due to holidays and bad weather. I asked her if she thinks that the envelope was for her, but she said she expected no mail and that she doesn't think it could be for her. Our room is at the end of the centre part of the building, next to it on the right is another hall (at the 90° angle), so no doors directly next to ours; I knocked on the door directly to our left to ask if they think the envelope was for them, but no one was there. Across the hall are readings rooms, no one lives there.

Q4: Yes, it was in pen, in cursive, the handwriting doesn't seem familiar to me (or to any of my friends that I showed it to).

Q5: I have never heard of the quote before, the only Einstein quote I know is on one of the pictures that switch on my desktop background: "Logic will get you from A to Z, imagination will get you everywhere." I don't know if the picture/quote thing means anything, but even if it does, and I should be doing something to prevent some sort of a problem, I don't know what that could be... Or what problem should I prevent.

So the list of suspects could potentially be very large, including classmates and Uni acquaintances. Family or close friends playing a prank like this would most likely type the note for fear you'd recognize their handwriting, but they could have enlisted the aid of someone you don't know (improbable, imo).

Speculatively, it would seem to be someone from your dorm (or someone who knows someone in your dorm) because of the security you describe. It seems likely that the note is aimed at you directly, but not in any malicious way, since no one else got a note (that you know of) and it was handwritten in cursive (someone planning a crime based on a elaborate scenario like this is unlikely to forget that handwriting can be matched).

Could this be some kind of experiment for a Psychology class, to see how you react? It's not a very good experiment unless they can somehow monitor your response, I guess, but lots of tests of all kinds happen in college.

I think it has to mean something. If it's so tough to get into your building and no one else received a note, the suspect had to go to some trouble to do this. People rarely make that much effort for nothing.

If you brought in the police (No, wait! I don't mean to literally bring in the police.) their primary suspect would be the boyfriend, and they would usually be right.

I'd think hard about him and what his motivation might be. Does he know you like solving riddles? Could he be helping out a friend of his? Is he going to give you an emerald (maybe that is what is in the picture!) for Valentine's day?

Why is this picture on photographic paper? (One can notice it has no margin, so it is a good confirmation of your statement) Why not use printer? And spend money on printing on unusual large format? Maybe the suspect does not manage computers at all, has no printer & no knowledge on how to retrieve a photo from his camera?

If the suspect is from your building, he probably went to the closest photograph shop. You can go there and ask.

Well, I, for one, am rooting for your having the emerald valentine gem of a boyfriend but all sorts of pranks go on in dorms, many of them even handed down, specific to the history of a particular dorm. google 'dorm pranks'-haha

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-life/233254-dorm-pranks.html -This link even illustrates photo pranking...

Perhaps the ole picture slipped under the door in an envelope-for mysterious posterity, that being unnecessary:)-is a favorite of your dorm? Some of the favorite prankings of all time are played out on the girl who doesn't know anyone in the dorm yet at that, I wouldn't be too taken in by it.:)

But you did question the boyfriend, why was that?:) kidding However, green isn't your favorite color or anything, is it? And the Einstein quote smacks of the twoendedness in the one on your desktop, are you an Einstein fan, particularly or had that quote been a random one day appreciation of yours? Any wooded, natural area near the dorm whatsover?lol

This place looks like regardless what they come up with for you, it should prove an entertainment; if you do try it out on them, you'll let us know, won't you?

http://www.killerstartups.com/Video-Music-Photo/idthis-org-recognize-any-image-you-can-imagine

Edited by matty

Well, I don't even have Psychology yet, it couldn't be that... I thought most of the questions through before, except why it was writen in cursive rather than print, but I too don't believe it was malicious. And I agree people rarely go through much effort for nothing, that is why it confuses me so much.

My boyfriend is the guy who opened up this subject to help me find out what it means... Even if he could be the one who did this, he would've had to admit it, I pushed him real hard to find out. And besides, he can't lie to me for very long, he's not exactly good at it. xD And we don't celebrate Valentine's day, we believe it is a stupid commercial consumerism-friendly wanna-get-laid-holiday.

I don't know what photograph shop is the closest, but maybe I can try asking...

Hmm, I've never heard of pranks happening inside my dorm, every room is kind of made like a little apartment, it has it's own bathroom and a little kitchen. And you need to have really high grades to get into it, I don't think it is some general prank I don't know of. O.o

Green is my favourite colour, but just in general, I don't wear green or show it in any way. I wouldn't call myself an Einstein fan, I saw the picture online, liked the thought and downloaded it. xD And actually yes, there is a big park across my dorm.

Yes, I said that already, it's a Nikon coolpix camera...

And yeah, www.idthis.org doesn't seem to work. O.o

Edited by Adisplayname

Suspects

•  
  • Purposeful misdirection: Someone who signed into the dorm to see another person (and perhaps did), but also slipped this under your door. Think of a practical joker who has smiled at you.
  • Delivery error: Someone who delivered it to the right location but the wrong floor. Make photocopy and post on dorm bulletin board as Lost & Found. Posting this Lost & Found might also be a way to receive more puzzles or messages (ie, another mystery note: "The message was for you, just follow the clues, and find something new.").
  • Reason for quotation: Someone who thinks you lack imagination. Perhaps an art major (they're always at odds with scientists) trying to expand your horizons.

If on purpose, I suspect a man more than a woman, especially a man with a romantic interest. (Use your imagination.)

And we don't celebrate Valentine's day, we believe it is a stupid commercial consumerism-friendly wanna-get-laid-holiday.[/size]

Maybe someone is trying to get your goat because they think you are a bit of a curmudgeon. Did you get something similar on the day the earth returned to its orbital position corresponding to the day of your birth? :rolleyes:

Edited by zapatos

It really looks like a Vitis plant. I makes remenber a vine yard. The black line across that photo could be a string or wire thats used to hold the growing plant. The green spots can easily be some remaining leafs or, most likely, a type of scarecrows made out of plastic bag strips and tied to the plant. The photo might not mean anything at all, it might be a strange picture just to get your attention; also, It can be a plant that illustrates solving problems, as Vitis plants were use to cure various diseases such as hemorroids, cancer, nausea, skin and eye infections as well as kidney and liver diseases, or it can illustrate the fact that Wine (made of fermentating vitis vinifera fruit - grapes) can solve problems, because alcohol makes you forget, and thats one way to solve problems, but real geniuses avoid them or they avoid the easy way out. In this case, this photograph would be metaphorical.

Compare the photos to yours, I hope I helped.

post-66403-0-91867300-1329323078_thumb.jpg

post-66403-0-18808600-1329323221_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them."

Intellectuals would look at this random thing and have this serious desire to figure out what it is, so that they can keep their pride and self image that they are smart and can solve problems. What they don't know is that by doing this, they are creating themselves a big problem and wasting a lot of time. Geniuses know what to spend time on and what not, and would just throw this away, thus preventing the problem that the trouble maker was trying to create by sliding in a picture that's clearly taken out of context and blurred to confuse people.

Edited by LXH