Bible Prophecies Fulfilled

Jaden

Christians and/or Jews, please post as many detailed examples of biblical prophecies which have been fulfilled as you can think of, and others can discuss their validity.

People of other religions, please feel free to do the same. :)

Edited by Jaden

Religion is an evolving thing, it requires not only words from scriptures but also Revealations. There is a lot of confusion as to what to take literally and what to take symbolically. For example, the Gog-Magog invasion given in Ezekiel was an old battle using old weaponry but many interpret and prophesize that it is a battle which will be happening in the future with modern weaponry (normally attributed to accumulation of arms race by the Russians) leading to confusion and heresy.

We need Wisdom and Revealation (War) to understand God's words and You can not prove the existence of God just by interpreting the scripture in which ever way you want to such that it correlates with the events happening in the world. We need new words from God not new interpretations.

The events happening in the middle-east, especially in the region of Babylon, The origin of European union, the efforts made for collaboration between USA and Mexico, proposal for a common currency, with many entrepreuners openly making claims that their main goal in life is to create a Global one world Government increasing the economic strength, all leading to the transformation of a Global one world Government and also with RFID chips implanted on our clothes to track how we do shopping there by leading to the implantation of the mark of the beast on our bodies in the future and also new human made religions claiming to give happiness and freeing them from bondage and sins are some of the Signs of the Times as prophesized by the Bible.

Christians and/or Jews, please post as many detailed examples of biblical prophecies which have been fulfilled as you can think of, and others can discuss their validity.

People of other religions, please feel free to do the same. :)

There are none that were not translated to be such after the fact. In short there are no prophecies in any religious text that has predicted anything to happen that did indeed happen before it happened.. none...

There are none that were not translated to be such after the fact. In short there are no prophecies in any religious text that has predicted anything to happen that did indeed happen before it happened.. none...

This is simply not true. The Book of Ezekiel, for example, was written between 593 and 571 BC, and some of the prophecies within it are still being fulfilled today. Not all of them are vague either, some are very specific.

These are only a few examples of biblical prophecy, there are many more (about 1000 from memory) although some are slightly vague and may be open to interpretation (however these examples are very plain) . They should give people something to discuss, though, as was the intention of this thread. So if you have any specific objections to the accuracy of these prophecies, please state them.

Please note that this is not my work. Because I'm short on time, I've just copied material from this website:

http://home.surewest...ce/prophecy.htm

The views of it's author are not necessarily my views.

BIBLE

PROPHECIES

One of the strongest objective evidences of Biblical inspiration if the phenomenon of fulfilled prophecy. The bible is essentially unique among the religious books of mankind in this respect. Some of them contain a few vague forecasts, but nothing comparable to the vast number of specific prophecies found in the Bible. The same is true of modern "prophets", so-called. Such seers as Nostradamus, Jean Dixon, and others have made many predictions, but often they are nebulous and capable of various meanings. A few of their prophecies seem to have been fulfilled in a general way, but most of the have completely failed.(1/181)

Prophets, to be legitimate, must stand the test of time. If the prophet was not completely correct 100% of the time he is a false prophet. Prophecy, to be valid, must predate the event; must be precise enough so as to not be vague; must have enough events described to be beyond human ability to calculate or manipulate; in other words not be something that man could do, without God's guidance.

Only God knows the future. He is able to "call the things that are not, as though they were" (Romans 4:17). He declares "the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done." (Isaiah 46:10; Acts 15:18). If one can demonstrate the ability to the future things that find exact fulfillment, it would follow logically that such a person, in possession of this gift, would be speaking on the behalf of God. His message therefore, would be valid. (3/81-82)

Scholars suggest that there are about 1,000 prophecies altogether in the Bible --- some 800 in the Old Testament and about 200 in the New Testament. (3/82) It must be noted carefully that the gift of prophecy --- clearly operative during those by-gone ages where the Biblical documents were being prepared and validated as God's Word --- was terminated near the end of the first century AD, when the New Testament was completed (1 Corinthians 13:8-10) There are many religions today that claim to have "prophets", but remember for a prophet to be from God there can be no errors, ever! That lets all of the "prophets" since the first century out.

PROPHECIES FULFILLED BY JESUS CHRIST

The Old Testament, written over a 1,000 year period, contains over 300 references to the coming Messiah. All of these were fulfilled in Jesus Christ, and they established a solid confirmation of His credentials as the Messiah; the Anointed One (King; Priest; Saint); Intercessor (to release or deliver; help; meet; seek; accompany).

Many of the prophecies concerning the messiah were totally beyond human control:

Birth: Place, time, manner of.

Death: Peoples reactions, piercing of side, burial

Resurrection: Where did His body go?

By using the modern science of probability in reference to just eight of these prophecies --- the chance that any man might have lived to fulfill all eight prophecies is one in one hundred trillion!

To illustrate this: If we take 100 trillion silver dollars and lay them on the face of Texas, they would be two feet deep. Now we mark one of these silver dollars and stir the whole mass thoroughly --- all over the state. Now blindfold a man and let him travel as far as he wishes, but he must pick only one silver dollar. What chance would he have of picking the right one? The same chance that the prophets would have of writing just eight of these prophecies and having them all come true for any one man --- if they had written them without God's inspiration!

The chance of any one man fulfilling all of 48 prophecies is one in 10 to the 157 power. The electron is about as small an object as we can imagine. if we had a cubic inch of these electrons and tried to count them, it would take us (at 250 per minute) 19,000 time 19,000 time 19,000 years to count them. Now mark one of them, and thoroughly stir it into the whole mass. What chance does our blindfolded man have of finding the right electron? --- The same chance as one man of fulfilling 48 of the prophecies about Christ, without being the Son of God!

Jesus Christ fulfilled every prophecy written about the coming Messiah --- over three hundred of them! Would that have been possible had He not been the Son of God?

Here is a short listing of some of the hundreds of prophecies concerning Christ:

Linage Genesis 3:15; 9:26: 22:18; 26:4; 28:14; 49:10; 2 & Samual 7:12-16

Son of God Psalm 2:6-7

Virgin birth Isaiah 7:14

Birthplace Micah 5:2

Piercing of side Zechariah 12:10

Darkness Psalm 22:2

Vinegar Psalm 69:21

Mocking Psalm 22:6-8

Nakedness Psalm 22:17

Gambling for clothes Psalm 22:18

Unbroken bones Psalm 34:20

Burial Isaiah 53:9

Resurrection Psalm 16:10; Hosea 6:2; Psalm 30:3,9; Isaiah 53:10

Assention to right hand of God Psalm 110:1; 68:18; Proverbs 30:4; 24:3-10

HHHhhhh

OTHER HISTORICAL PROPHESIES

In addition to the hundreds of Biblical prophecies that have been fulfilled in the past, there are a special class of predictions that focus on the events of what the Scriptures call "the last days", "the latter times", or other similar expressions. These prophecies also provide further evidence of Biblical inspiration, since many of them are being fulfilled right before our eyes! As more and more of these ancient predictions are seen coming to pass, the evidence for the Divine origin of the Bible is made stronger all the time.

THE RE-ESTABLISHMENT OF ISRAEL

The most important of these end-time prophecies, the re-establishment of Israel as a nation in it's ancient homeland. That a nation could be completely destroyed as an organized entity by an invading army (by the Romans in 70 AD), it's people either slaughtered or scattered from one end of the world to the other, it's lands occupied and ruled by aliens for over 1900 years. Yet Israel survived as a distinct nationality, and then finally regained its homeland and became recognized as a viable nation once more by the other nations of the world. (1/191)

Seems impossible? Even so, it was predicted to happen many centuries before it happened. Jesus Himself predicted the fall of Jerusalem in Luke 19:43-44, "The days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you in on every side. They will dash you to the ground, you and the children within your walls. They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God's coming to you." Deuteronomy 28:64 prophesies "Then the Lord will scatter you among the nations from one end of the earth to the other." Jesus again predicts in Luke 21:24, "They will fall by the sword and will be taken prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles, until the time of the Gentiles is fulfilled.".

The Jews began to return to Palestine in small numbers in the early part of the twentieth century, and then in much larger numbers after World War I. After World War II the Israeli nation was re-established in part in 1948, and in 1967 in the "six-day war" Israel recaptured the "old city" of Jerusalem. Amazingly, Jerusalem is now completely under Jewish control, except for one spot. This is on Mount Moriah where the Arabs have built their famous Dome-of-the-Rock, the second most holy place in the Muslim world. The Jews for political or other reasons have not yet dared to expel the Arabs from this site, raze it, and proceed to rebuild their temple, as they must want to do. (1/192-193) "Last Days Prophecy" is being fulfilled right before our eyes!

TYRE

In the 26th chapter of Ezekiel (592-570 BC) seven things are predicted to happen to the city of Tyre:

1) Nebuchadnezzar will destroy the mainland of Tyre (Ezekiel 26:8).

2) Many nations against Tyre (Ezekiel 26:3).

3) Make her a bare rock; flat like the top of a rock (Ezekiel 26:4).

4) Fishermen will spread their nets over the site (Ezekiel 26:5).

5) Throw the debris into the water (Ezekiel 26:12).

6) Never be rebuilt (Ezekiel 26:14).

7) Never be found again (Ezekiel 26:21) (2/285)

Nebuchadnezzar laid siege to mainland Tyre three years after the prophecy and after a 13 year siege (585-573 BC) Tyre made terms and acknowledged Babylonian authority over them (4 xxii.452) When Nebuchadnezzar broke the gates down, he found the city almost empty. The majority of the people had moved by ship to an island about 1/2 miles off the coast and fortified a city there. The mainland city was destroyed in 573 BC, as predicted. The city of Tyre on the island remained a powerful city for several hundred years. (2/286)

Alexander the Great, in his war on Persia, marching southward called on each city to open their gates to him, as part of his plan to deny the use to the Persian fleet. Tyre refused to do so, and Alexander laid siege to the city. Possessing no fleet, he demolished old Tyre, on the mainland, and with the debris built a causeway 200 feet wide across the straits separating the old and new towns, erecting towers and war engines at the farther end. (4/xxii. 452) Tyre continually raided the causeway with fire-ships greatly retarding progress, until Alexander pressured conquered subjects to make ships for his operation. After attaining a superior naval force, Alexander finished the causeway, battered the walls of Tyre down killed eight thousand of the inhabitants and sold thirty thousand into slavery. (5/153)

A history book by a secular historian reads, "Alexander the Great ... reduced Tyre to ruins... The larger part of the site of the once great city is now bare as the top of a rock --- a place where fishermen now spread their nets to dry." (5/55)

Another historian, John C. Beck, says, "The history of Tyre does not stop with after the conquest of Alexander. Men continue to rebuild her and armies continue to besiege her walls, until finally after sixteen hundred years, she falls never to be rebuilt again." (6/41)

All the prophecies of Ezekiel about Tyre have come true: Nebuchadnezzar destroyed the mainland city of Tyre; Many nations were against Tyre; Alexander made her a bare rock and threw debris into the water to make the causeway; fishermen now spread nets over the site; (there is a city of Tyre today, but it is located down the coast from the original Tyre) the old city of Tyre has never been rebuilt, even though a great freshwater spring are located at the site, providing 10,000,000 gallons daily. It is still an excellent site today but has never been rebuilt, although many have tried. All seven of the predictions came true in the minutest detail.

Some others examples of fulfilled Bible prophecy about history:

Sidon (Ezekiel 28:22-23);

Samaria (Hosea 13:16 & Micah 1:6);

Gaza-Ashkelon (Amos 1:8; Jeremiah 47:5; Zephaniah 2:4);

Moab-Ammon (Ezekiel 25:3-4; Jeremiah 48:47 & 49:6);

Petra-Edom (Isaiah 34:6-15; Jeremaih 49:17-18; Ezekiel 25:13-14 & 35:57);

Thebes-Memphis (Ezekiel 30:13-15);

Nineveh (Nahum 1:8-10; 2:6; 3:10; 3:13; 3:19);

Babylon (Daniel 2,7; Isaiah 13:19-22; 14:23;

Jeremiah 51:26 & 43);

Chorazin-Bethsaida-Capernaum (Matthew 11:20-24 );

Jerusalem Enlargement (Jeremiah 31:38-40); and finally

Palestine (Leviticus 26:31-33 & Ezekiel 36:33-35), where the events are happening before our eyes!

Edited by Jaden

Prophets, to be legitimate, must stand the test of time. If the prophet was not completely correct 100% of the time he is a false prophet.

Here's the full account from Ezekiel 26:7-14 on the Siege of Tyre:

"7 For thus saith the Lord GOD: Behold, I will bring upon Tyre Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, king of kings, from the north, with horses, and with chariots, and with horsemen, and a company, and much people. 8 He shall slay with the sword thy daughters in the field; and he shall make forts against thee, and cast up a mound against thee, and set up bucklers against thee. 9 And he shall set his battering engines against thy walls, and with his axes he shall break down thy towers. 10 By reason of the abundance of his horses their dust shall cover thee; at the noise of the horsemen, and of the wheels, and of the chariots, thy walls shall shake, when he shall enter into thy gates, as men enter into a city wherein is made a breach. 11 With the hoofs of his horses shall he tread down all thy streets; he shall slay thy people with the sword, and the pillars of thy strength shall go down to the ground. 12 And they shall make a spoil of thy riches, and make a prey of thy merchandise; and they shall break down thy walls, and destroy the houses of thy delight; and thy stones and thy timber and thy dust shall they lay in the midst of the waters. 13 And I will cause the noise of thy songs to cease, and the sound of thy harps shall be no more heard. 14 And I will make thee a bare rock; thou shalt be a place for the spreading of nets, thou shalt be built no more; for I the LORD have spoken, saith the Lord GOD."

So, basically Ezekiel prophesies that Nebuchadnezzar would pound Tyre to rubble, take the city, walk every street, and make sure nobody would ever rebuild it again. In fact, though, Nebuchadnezzar spent 13 years in siege on Tyre and failed to take it, and it stands to this day. Your source's comments about Alexander the Great's subsequent attacks have no bearing. Alexander was NOT Nebuchadnezzar.

Interestingly, the "prophet" Isaiah also prophesied the same thing, except Nebuchadnezzar would only make Tyre desolate for 70 years. So, two prophets down with a single false prophecy.

From Ezekiel 29: 8-12:

8 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD: Behold, I will bring a sword upon thee, and will cut off from thee man and beast. 9 And the land of Egypt shall be desolate and waste, and they shall know that I am the LORD; because he hath said: The river is mine, and I have made it.10 Therefore, behold, I am against thee, and against thy rivers, and I will make the land of Egypt utterly waste and desolate, from Migdol to Syene even unto the border of Ethiopia. 11 No foot of man shall pass through it, nor foot of beast shall pass through it, neither shall it be inhabited forty years. 12 And I will make the land of Egypt desolate in the midst of the countries that are desolate, and her cities among the cities that are laid waste shall be desolate forty years; and I will scatter the Egyptians among the nations, and will disperse them through the countries.

Egypt has never been desolate. Egypt has always been inhabited with people and beasts walking through it (since Biblical times, anyway) and so has its neighboring countries, and there was never an Egyptian diaspora.

In verses 19-20 from this same chapter, Ezekiel again credits Nebuchadnezzar the Conqueror with taking over Egypt:

19 therefore thus saith the Lord GOD: Behold, I will give the land of Egypt unto Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon; and he shall carry off her abundance, and take her spoil, and take her prey; and it shall be the wages for his army. 20 I have given him the land of Egypt as his hire for which he served, because they wrought for Me, saith the Lord GOD.

Egypt was never conquered by Nebuchadnezzar.

Please note that this is not my work. Because I'm short on time, I've just copied material from this website:

http://home.surewest...ce/prophecy.htm

The views of it's author are not necessarily my views.

You're forgiven. :)

Here is a short listing of some of the hundreds of prophecies concerning Christ:

Virgin birth Isaiah 7:14

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign: behold, the young woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

"Young woman" doesn't equal "virgin", especially if she's conceiving and bearing a son (Hebrew text available here).

Birthplace Micah 5:2

Micah 5:2 Therefore will He give them up, until the time that she who travaileth hath brought forth; then the residue of his brethren shall return with the children of Israel.

Seems pretty vague to me. "Birthplace" should be more specific than "country".

Piercing of side Zechariah 12:10

Zechariah 12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplication; and they shall look unto Me because they have thrust him through; and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his first-born.

"Thrust him through" does NOT equal "pierced in the side". The Greek word plvra, or pleura, used only, out of all the Gospels, in John 19:34, describes a lateral stab to the ribs that brings forth water and blood from a single wound, not a double wound as would happen if he were "thrust through".

There are many discrepancies with Biblical prophecies. That's why your source goes to great length to mention how astronomically improbable fulfilling all of them is:

By using the modern science of probability in reference to just eight of these prophecies --- the chance that any man might have lived to fulfill all eight prophecies is one in one hundred trillion!

Did you notice how they slipped in the "modern science" with one hand while the other was waving to distract you from the fact that they just got you to accept their numbers without actually reading any of the scriptures for accuracy? This is a logical fallacy called Begging the Question. Their argument's premise already assumes their conclusions are true.

I have studied the prophecies in question (about Tyre and Egypt) and conclude that they were indeed not fulfilled as they were stated. Therefore they are not evidence of God's existence and the bible's authenticity. However, it does not mean that Ezekiel and Isaiah were false prophets because:

Jeremiah 18:7-10:

If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned. And if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be built up and planted, and if it does evil in my sight and does not obey me, then I will reconsider the good I had intended to do for it.

This announcement by the prophet Jeremiah contradicts my sources assumption that "If the prophet was not completely correct 100% of the time he is a false prophet." (sorry, I can't remove the Bold and Italics)

Perhaps a part of the people of Tyre (and Egypt also) repented under the threat of Nebuchadnezzar's forces, and it's destruction was delayed while those people were there. For God has said, in Genesis chapter 18, that He would not destroy Sodom for the sake of ten good people. Surely Tyre and Egypt would be the same. This may seem a weak argument, however it means that the prophets could still be genuine, and even one detailed prophecy which has undoubtedly been fulfilled would outweigh the unlikelihood of people in both Tyre and Egypt repenting. So, I'll go into detail with some of the other prophecies when I have some time, in search of one or more that can prove the truth of the Bible.

Did you notice how they slipped in the "modern science" with one hand while the other was waving to distract you from the fact that they just got you to accept their numbers without actually reading any of the scriptures for accuracy? This is a logical fallacy called Begging the Question. Their argument's premise already assumes their conclusions are true.

No, I didn't even read over it properly at the time :D, but I can see it now. It seems that in the future I'll need to choose better sources for my info.

Edited by Jaden

[/b]You're forgiven. :)

[/size]

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign: behold, the young woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

"Young woman" doesn't equal "virgin", especially if she's conceiving and bearing a son (Hebrew text available here).

Furthermore, in context, the birth isn't even the prophecy. The birth is the timeframe for the prophecy. The entire prophecy is that, by the time the child with which the young woman is pregnant is old enough to know right from wrong, all of the enemies of King Josiah will be defeated. Luckily for Isaiah, he wrote this prophecy after the events occurred, so he got this one right.

Jeremiah 18:7-10:

If at any time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be uprooted, torn down and destroyed, and if that nation I warned repents of its evil, then I will relent and not inflict on it the disaster I had planned. And if at another time I announce that a nation or kingdom is to be built up and planted, and if it does evil in my sight and does not obey me, then I will reconsider the good I had intended to do for it.

That's a fairly convenient way out. I shall remember that trick should I ever decide to write prophecy.