Genetic Mutations?

Genetic mutations don't respond to environmental changes, other than things that directly interfere with the process, like UV rays hitting the atoms involved. Mutations are much like changing or removing or adding a word to a sentence so it rarely makes any improvements. If I removed the word 'rarely' from the previous sentence it would probably be just confusing to you. If I changed the words 'much like' to 'nothing like' it makes a comprehensible difference. I hope it's not an improvement though, or else I've been writing drivel.

Originally posted by MajinVegeta

In evolution, genetic mutations occur according to the enviromental changes. How EXACTLY does this happen? What initially makes the DNA mutate?? I really don't understand it.:confused:

both cosmic and earth radiation are mutation factors.also chemical polution and some other things but they are not essential.do u know what horrible experimed made rissians at about 50 years ago.right after nuclear explosion 5000 solders passed trough centre where radiation was terrible high.today just one is alive.other are dead by cancer(in 98% of cases)all that i saw on "discovery chanel" an there was interview with this survivor.so this poor young guys was with terrible damaged DNA.so trough millions of years of evolution this little invissible rays changed slowly genes of creatures ,in 99,99% that was useless or even bad changes but this 00.01% was the usefull little bit wich natural selection kept alive(other with bad changes simply died)evolution is very slow process(comparing with human live)

That cleared up a lot. Also, another thing is the evolution of animals like how some dinosaurs became birds. How did that happen? I know that's still in debate so here's another example: human evolution.

oh human evolution.its endless theme,but its proved that we originated from africa.wach "discovery channel"

Yes, I know. My problem is that I don't see how animals can "evolve". People will say "genetic mutation..." and blah blah. Can any1 explain the details??

HI.earth conditions changing constantly.nobody can say how many ice periods was in the past.by changing conditions survive only fittest.they can find food better,theyr bodies can safe temperature better.so they will survive.the death is the main evolution engine because ,the death selected the fittest creatures.there must be some reason for people to evolve.they went into caves,man got hunters wimen got house keepers and that allow them to survive in age of ice.look the penguins on antarktica.when female lays the only egg she leave it to male to keep it warm between his legs.all together femails going for food(i forgot to mention that they are far from the coast)and mails should stay without food for a 4-5 weeks by temperatures -30/-40(sometime even -50) degree celsium.so they found the only way to survive.other wich didnt found it just died.may be the fittest human beings with good social structure survived.other are gone.

If a gene or group of genes allow for a more effective organism, then the individuals with the genes are more likely to survive and therefore more likely to reproduce than those without the genes.

This is the basis of selection.

Random mutations in gene structure are a major contributor to more advantageous genes, although only a tiny percentage of mutations actually are advantageous.

Lets say happiness is measure of the 'fitness' of a species of organism, called Happius fascia. Normal Happius critters (:) ) have the gene 'hh' which codes for their smiley face. They produce a single identical offspring each generation. So a population of ten Happius critters would remain this number throughout time.

Generation 1

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Generation 2

Now then occasionally an unfortunate Happius mutates, it's gene for it's smiley face changes to 'uh' which causes it to have the unhappy face :-( . These mutants are unable to reproduce because they are too unhappy, so they leave no descendents.

Generation 3

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :):-( <---mutant

Generation 4

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) <---only nine Happius left

So unhappy mutants cause the population to fall in number. If this process continued over long periods of time than the Happius population would become exstinct. Fortunately an occasional Happius mutates to have the gene 'Hh' which causes it to be very happy like this: :P . Because they are so happy these Happius produce TWO offspring each generation so that the population increases, and the proportion of Happius with the 'Hh' gene increases.

Generation 5

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :P <--mutant

Generation 6

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :P :-p <---offspring of the mutant

Generation 7

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :P :-p :P :-p

The population can't keep growing forever. This Happius populations territory can only sustain 12 Happius. Since the :P (carrying the Hh gene) Happius are 'fitter' than the :)(carrying the hh gene) they outcompete them. So each generation the number of Hh Happius increases.

Generation 8

:) :) :) :) :) :) :):P :-p :P :-p :P

Generation 9

:) :) :) :) :) :) :P :-p :P :-p :P :-p

....untill the hh Happius gene becomes extinct and the population is made up entirely of Hh Happius....

Generation 15

:P :-p :P :-p :P :-p :P :-p :P :-p :P :-p

And a population of hh Happius have evolved into a population of Hh Happius.

Originally posted by Skye

Lets say happiness is measure of the 'fitness' of a species of organism, called Happius fascia. Normal Happius critters (:) ) have the gene 'hh' which codes for their smiley face. They produce a single identical offspring each generation. So a population of ten Happius critters would remain this number throughout time.

Generation 1

Generation 2

hi.may be u are right.i agree because in ur exsample doesnt exsist natural selection just like in humans world.our stupid sence of humanity alowed modern medicine to keep alive many kind of genetic damaged people.they have theyr own offspring and its damaged too.that is the half of the problem.second half is that radiation and chemical polution atack genes of other healty people so the count of damaged people groving.

AN EXSAMPLE

genetic anomalos increased femail chormons in male child.groving up entering into teenagers world he is feeling half women half man,and some of them geting gays.we are talking about humans rights.ok,but this genetic mistakes doesnt work hard phisical work.they are singers,tv stars , show stars and theyr behavior is exsample for groving generation.to this who still doubt what kind themselves are.so gays are like desease-the only goal is expansion.and modern(twisted) sence of humans rights allow them to advertise theyr sicness.now as a resuld most people think that this is normal.bullsh!ts.totaly bullsh!ts

Originally posted by Sayonara³

if u are one of this genetic mistakes of mother nature just tell me.i dont wanna talk with them even by internet. will stop imediately.if u are not i just wonder why u defend them.may be ur mind is modifyed by twisted modern conception of humanity that present constantly on tv screens.i suspect there are some kind of world sect.just look at pop stars-PRINCE,RHU PAUL, ELTON JOHN,BOY GEORGE,MICHAEL JACSON,GEORGE MICHAEL ,PHILL COLLINS(PHILL IS BISEXUAL) RICKY MARTIN(JOURNALIST FOUND HIM MAKING ORAL SEX TO A STRANGER IN THE TOILET OF VIP PARTY)AND MANY MORE ARE GENETIC MISTAKES BUT BECOME IDOLS FOR YOUNG PEOPLE JUST BECAUSE NOBOBY TELL THE YOUNG PEOPLE THAT IS ANOMALY. LIKE GAYS SAYD SOME DAY WE WILL BE THE BIGGER GROUP AN THEN WE WILL SEE WHO IS NORMAL AND WHO ISNT.THAT MEAN THE PLACES WILL BE CHANGED. THATS THE TRUTH NO MATTER U LIKE IT OR NOT. DONT TELL ME THAT THIS CROWD OF TRASH SHOULD BE IDOLS FOR YOUNG PEOPLE.

Was there a point to that huge homophobic outburst? there was ahtread ages ago about whether or not there was a 'gay' gene i think but people seemd to come to come to the reasonable consensus there are genes which to an extent behaviour so it will have an impact as well as their life experiences.

our stupid sence of humanity alowed modern medicine to keep alive many kind of genetic damaged people.they have theyr own offspring and its damaged too.

Sorry what? are you saying gay people are genetically damaged or are you seriosuly trying to suggest that concept of healing the sick is wrong? I presume your saying gays are a genetic mistake cos this merely shows intolerance, a reasonably high degree of stupidity and some right wing views. If you think medicine is wrong this shows that maybe the Chernobyl accident dumped a lot of radioactive material in your vodka supply.

This wasnt really prompted by anything, you seemd to suddenly attack 'our stupid sense of humanity' with this outburst. By humanity do you mean freedom? I know the USSR wasnt a big one for personal freedom but you dont have to wind back the clock....

genetic anomalos increased femail chormons in male child

I guess you mean that the child has an extra X sex chromosome (XXY, though XXXY, etc are also possible). This leads Klinefelters syndrome, which is easy to recognise...some development of the breasts and hips, underdeveloped testes, little facial hair. It also makes someone afflicted by it sterile, due to the underdevelopment of the testes. By memory it occurs in about 1 in a thousand or two thousand births, not enough for them to take over the world.

The pop stars mentioned are all (relatively) normal males, based on appearances. There may be a heritable basis for homosexuality (maybe for heterosexuality too:) ) but it sure isn't chromosomal.