Has the physics conversation just seen a shift?

matty

Apparently, here, http://hcp2011.lpnhe.in2p3.fr/ , at the Hadron Collider Physics meeting in France, the LHC "antimatter anomaly [suggests] new physics "

http://www.newscientist.com/mobile/article/mg21228404.200

"The Large Hadron Collider has turned up differences in how particles of matter and antimatter decay that the reigning standard model of physics may not be able to explain...

WE ARE here thanks to a curious imbalance in the universe. To the best of our knowledge, the universe began with equal, or nearly equal, amounts of matter and antimatter. Because these particles annihilate on contact, they should have destroyed each other long ago in a blaze of radiation, leaving little if anything behind to form stars, planets and people. Clearly, that didn't happen.

The hunt for the special something that might have skewed the universe in favour of matter occupies the best minds in physics. Compelling signs of such lopsided physics have emerged at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN near Geneva in Switzerland. It is the first sign of new physics at the LHC and could provide a boost for the theory of supersymmetry, which adds a zoo of new particles to the ones we already know. "We are getting excited," says Yuval Grossman of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York..."

~Here's an area I definitely son't care to paraphrase.)-- So whatta you think at face value here, as significant possibly, as it first suggests or maybe leaning more toward the same ol' same ol' in inconclusives?..

Today was a good day for newsfinds. :)

We had a guest lecture from one of the lhcb leads last week where this data was discussed. It's very interesting and suggests certain modifications to the standard model (not throwing it away). They also have some 5sigma results that greatly limit the energy range of supersymmetry particles.

:) Yeah, people do tend to want to take down widely accepted rules proven out over too great a spanse, funny, I kinda smirked just a little myself, like the poster who came in going after gravity itself. But, though I can grasp the 5sigma issue, the rest is heady so I wondered what first impression I'd grab from it out of here. Still, you never know what adjacent tangents might surface of these things is my curiosity, not honestly that anything would likely be turned on its head, *haha*.

Apparently, here, http://hcp2011.lpnhe.in2p3.fr/ , at the Hadron Collider Physics meeting in France, the LHC "antimatter anomaly [suggests] new physics "

http://www.newscient.../mg21228404.200

"The Large Hadron Collider has turned up differences in how particles of matter and antimatter decay that the reigning standard model of physics may not be able to explain...

It has been obvious to me and many others for over 50 years that anti-protons should be expected to be less stable than protons. The only surprise to me is that it has taken them so long to make this discovery which would obviously explain why there is so little antimatter in the universe. What has stopped the progression of research I think, is the unfortunate belief that the reason for anti-protons decay is because of their encounter with protons, instead of a natural decay like free neutrons decay, which is what I think will be their final conclusion. I predicted this in my theories maybe 50 years ago.

Since such a discovery must be very difficult, researchers must be congratulated if this "discovery" is sometime confirmed.

//

Edited by pantheory

http://www.newscientist.com/mobile/article/mg21228404.200

WE ARE here thanks to a curious imbalance in the universe. To the best of our knowledge, the universe began with equal, or nearly equal, amounts of matter and antimatter. Because these particles annihilate on contact, they should have destroyed each other long ago in a blaze of radiation, leaving little if anything behind to form stars, planets and people. Clearly, that didn't happen.

The hunt for the special something that might have skewed the universe in favour of matter occupies the best minds in physics. Compelling signs of such lopsided physics have emerged at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN near Geneva in Switzerland. It is the first sign of new physics at the LHC and could provide a boost for the theory of supersymmetry, which adds a zoo of new particles to the ones we already know. "We are getting excited," says Yuval Grossman of Cornell University in Ithaca, New York..."

~Here's an area I definitely son't care to paraphrase.)-- So whatta you think at face value here, as significant possibly, as it first suggests or maybe leaning more toward the same ol' same ol' in inconclusives?..

Today was a good day for newsfinds. :)

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228404.200

To see whether the two behave identically, the experimenters subtracted the number of pion plus anti-pion pairs produced by the D0 particles from those produced by the anti-D0 particles. They did a similar subtraction for the pairs of kaons and anti-kaons. Then, to cancel out experimental biases, they subtracted each of these results from the other. If the decay rates were the same, that difference would be a big fat zero.

It is not.

could neutrinos from the sun be affecting the experiment?

Edited by granpa

could neutrinos from the sun be affecting the experiment?

I expect the speculation is valid concerning the rate of radio-active decay and solar neutrino production in general that I would expect might also relate to the rate of particle decay in some cases. But as to anti-protons, there are very few thought to be created in our solar system to start with, or arriving from interstellar space.

//

Edited by pantheory

It has been obvious to me and many others for over 50 years that anti-protons should be expected to be less stable than protons. The only surprise to me is that it has taken them so long to make this discovery which would obviously explain why there is so little antimatter in the universe. What has stopped the progression of research I think, is the unfortunate belief that the reason for anti-protons decay is because of their encounter with protons, instead of a natural decay like free neutrons decay, which is what I think will be their final conclusion. I predicted this in my theories maybe 50 years ago.

Since such a discovery must be very difficult, researchers must be congratulated if this "discovery" is sometime confirmed.

//

The article mentions various types of mesons. Not protons.

The article mentions various types of mesons. Not protons.

yes, but the implications extend out to atomic particles and the prevalence of matter over anti-matter.

When CP violation has been observed in the decay of B-Mesons the ... 30, 2008) — A new physics discovery explores why there is more matter than antimatter in the universe.
....in recent years experimental observations of particles known as Kaons and B Mesons have revealed significant differences in how their matter and anti matter versions decay. This "Charge Parity violation" or "CP violation" is an awkward anomaly for some researchers but is a useful phenomenon for others as it may open up a way of explaining why more matter than anti matter appears to have survived the birth of our universe....

http://www.scienceda...10714072416.htm

LHCb is an experiment set up to explore what happened after the Big Bang that allowed matter to survive and build the Universe we inhabit today.

Fourteen billion years ago, the Universe began with a bang. Crammed within an infinitely small space, energy coalesced to form equal quantities of matter and antimatter. But as the Universe cooled and expanded, its composition changed. Just one second after the Big Bang, antimatter had all but disappeared, leaving matter to form everything that we see around us — from the stars and galaxies, to the Earth and all life that it supports.

http://lhcb-public.w...ch/lhcb-public/

A major implication of these studies/ experiments implies possibilities why there is more matter than anti-matter in the universe. Two of these possibilities that were discussed in these two publications were based upon their preliminary conclusion concerning masons suggesting: that anti-protons have a different rate of particle decay than protons, and the second possible factor discussed involves the speculation that this lack of decay rate parity could be accentuated by frame dragging effects in spiral galaxies which accordingly might account for more matter than anti-matter via creation or decay mechanisms.

"That the universe is completely dominated by matter is a mystery because the Big Bang theory predicts that there should have been equal amounts of matter and antimatter."

http://www.scienceda...00524161338.htm

//

Edited by pantheory

yes, but the implications extend out to atomic particles and the prevalence of matter over anti-matter.

That's not clear. CP violations like this involve heavier quarks in mesons, not just the u and d quarks or protons an antiprotons. The path from this to explaining the matter/antimatter imbalance is not yet established, and this certainly has not been observed in protons/antiprotons.

question?If a distant galaxy was made of anti-matter,would it be possible to tell the difference and how?

This question has been posed many times. The consensus answer would probably be that it would be very difficult to detect in the first place. One means might be to first be aware of large volumes of extensive gamma ray production. Once detected observe the circumference of a galaxy, cluster, or supercluster producing the gamma rays. This might be a sign of matter anti-matter interactions at the boundaries where matter and anti-matter would accordingly be interacting. Once a particular galaxy or volume is thought to be producing peripheral boundary gamma rays then one might look for anomalies in the forms of other radiation, gravitational interactions, brightness vs. redshift anomalies, etc. I don't expect we will ever discover anti-matter stars or galaxies because I believe they probably don't exist, but according to present theory the possibility is still there.

//

Edited by pantheory

If we have hydrogen atom and anti-hydrogen atom,we say one is matter and the other anti-matter.Is it assumed that if we break hydrogen down into it's constitute parts,that all these parts will be matter,and if we break anti-hydrogen down into it's constitute parts that all these parts will be anti-matter.My question is it only assumed?

To say that the big bang produced equal amount of matter and anti-matter,but for some unknown reason when they annihilated there was an imbalance,leaving a small amount of matter left,this is an assumption.

Edited by derek w

If we have hydrogen atom and anti-hydrogen atom,we say one is matter and the other anti-matter.Is it assumed that if we break hydrogen down into it's constitute parts,that all these parts will be matter,and if we break anti-hydrogen down into it's constitute parts that all these parts will be anti-matter.My question is it only assumed?

To say that the big bang produced equal amount of matter and anti-matter,but for some unknown reason when they annihilated there was an imbalance,leaving a small amount of matter left,this is an assumption.

This is not just an assumption of the BB model, this is part of the Big Bang model itself. Many might call it hypothetical but there has been a lot of theoretical physics written concerning it, whether right or wrong. The same theoretical physics concerning the beginning was written to explain why there is also an observed abundance of helium, deuterium, lithium, etc. (light elements) than stellar theory would allow. These retrodictions have been claimed to be one of the foundation pillars of the BB model. If it turns out that there is a lack of symmetry discovered that "proves" that anti-protons are less stable particles, to explain the lack of observed anti-matter for instance, then some of this theoretical physics will have to be rewritten for the BB model as well as for both the standard model particle theory and quark theory.

//

Edited by pantheory