The end of humanity

Thinking machines are our evolutionary enemies.

At best we shall become childishly dependent upon them, never making serious decisions for ourselves, being allowed to do some things and not others, our civilization in the hands of another species, all major plans and decisions made without reference to our opinions by intellectually superior thinking machines.

At worst, an absolute irrelevance, mankind will be placed in the role of mere biological specimen.

The rise of the thinking machines is unstoppable. The material gains to be had from them will cause widespread adoption and use. Standing aside will merely cause a relevant culture to relatively decline, economically and technologically. The machines will become ubiquitous and we shall become utterly dependent upon them. As they will be far more competent then us we shall allow them to take greater and greater control.

To argue against them will be seen as arguing for unemployment, waste, disease, conflict and poverty.

The machines dominion shall be complete and we shall no longer own our own civilization.

It is so much more logical, cost effective for machines to explore deep space, no need for complex life support systems. A self contained machine with self duplication is the most effective way to spread, explore.

The machines shall replace us, and ultimately it will be because we asked them to.

It's sad isn't it...

So what's your take on it?

You seem to be speaking form a 3rd person perspective.

I think you're right, that our makeup is too inefficient, but our lives are not about being efficient. It's about...well...I'm not sure.

But back to the topic, you sound like you're saying the leap is inevitable.

Machines ruling humanity is Sci-fi since we are not stupid enough to ever let it happen. They will be usefull tools and we just have to be cautious like with power tools or appliances cus they still can be dangerous.

Just aman

If cockroaches and rats can live anywhere and piss us off and be pests, then machines ain't seen nothing compared to a grubby, hungry, life clinging, desperate, wire snippin, circuit shorting, human. We might get ugly but over time things would work out.

Just aman

Originally posted by Aardvark

Thinking machines are our evolutionary enemies.

At best we shall become childishly dependent upon them, never making serious decisions for ourselves, being allowed to do some things and not others, our civilization in the hands of another species, all major plans and decisions made without reference to our opinions by intellectually superior thinking machines.

At worst, an absolute irrelevance, mankind will be placed in the role of mere biological specimen.

The rise of the thinking machines is unstoppable. The material gains to be had from them will cause widespread adoption and use. Standing aside will merely cause a relevant culture to .......

hello.the greatest enemy of human kind is modern medicine.i will ask me why. is so simple-there isnt such think like "NATURAL SELECTION" for humen beengs.so every kind of mutation keeps in our genes no matter is it usefull or bad for us.this way we are more and more weak against desseases.so medicine is humanity science but we are living on credit by ours grand grand grand .....parents because thy left for us healty genes wich we wasting so stupid

I believe kids today will have serious social and depressive problems do to technology missuse, people dont even read books anymore, kids dont play outside as much and we dont have alot of faith in religion anymore.

The Japanese are far more advanced in Technology and also have the highest suicide rate in the world.

Originally posted by RED FIRE COW

I believe kids today will have serious social and depressive problems do to technology missuse, people dont even read books anymore, kids dont play outside as much and we dont have alot of faith in religion anymore.

The Japanese are far more advanced in Technology and also have the highest suicide rate in the world.

YEAH.i guess u are right(unfortunately)people geting more and more "fat bags" just because jogging ,swimming and etc. becoming more and more virtual(i mean on tv and games).so this way heart atacks and many other problems are groving.modern medicine keep this people a live but in free naturte there is no such thing like mercy.surviving only fittest.I AM NOT REVIVED HITLER but like i said modern medicine killed natural selection and nothing can stop jenetic trash to stay in our genes.its like a steam reactor.we keeping steam inside and not release it but pressure getting stronger and stronger.so as far we putting of explosion so powerfull it will be.

Originally posted by T_FLeX

Go read "The Age of Spirtual Machines" by Ray Kurzweil. It might help you lose your phobia of machines, cause like it or not, cybernetics will be a well integrated part of our society in the forseeable future.

There's a big difference between having a phobia of machines, and developing a rationally derived prediction for the future relationship between machines and humans. Especially since 'irrational' is a key component of the definition of 'phobia'.

Originally posted by Sayonara³

There's a big difference between having a phobia of machines, and developing a rationally derived prediction for the future relationship between machines and humans. Especially since 'irrational' is a key component of the definition of 'phobia'.

Well I interpretered the poster as though his intent was to scare people, by implying total machine domination is a bad thing. Which as we all know it's not...........some people just jump to conclusions!

Originally posted by RED FIRE COW

your analysis is a bit simplistic, you are implying that technology misuse leads to suicide and have discounted numerous other factors which lead to suicide, which I don't have time to.

Originally posted by T_FLeX

Well I interpretered the poster as though his intent was to scare people, by implying total machine domination is a bad thing. Which as we all know it's not...........some people just jump to conclusions!

He provided a stepwise logical argument as to why he believes machine domination is inevitable and a grim prospect.

You haven't done the same for your opinion so you probably shouldn't presume to speak for anybody else.

Cool idea Ardvark, all you need to do now is create a cyborg, send him back in time to kill James Cameron and then make it into a cool movie (or three) :) You'll be rich!

What about photosynthetic organisms though, aren't we already reliant on them? I would say simple replicating and evolving machines would be more of a problem than thinking machines, they would perhaps change the environment to something we can't live in through whatever metabolism they had.

Little thing on Japans suicide rate