herme3

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, it wouldn't. Not by a longshot.

Why wouldn't it? The book said that energy flows through the Earth in different places. It has to do with the gravitational field. The book said that is the "scientific" explanation of the people who don't believe in ghosts.

a) energy wouldn't be affected by Earth's gravity enough to do that. (light needs a heck of a lot of gravity just to bend the beam)

b) Earth's gravitational field is (nearly) uniform anyways.

What type of book is this anyways?

The books are called "Ghosts of Gettysburg" and it is a really popular series. I think I have about 10 of them.

How is the thought that we were created by a giant explosion make any more sense than ghosts? Where does everyone believe our souls go? We have to have some type of a soul or we wouldn't be conscious. Our brains are like computers. They are not capable of giving us our sense of reality. Our brains simply process the data of our world' date=' and create our thoughts. Without a soul, our thoughts would not be recognized by ourselves.

[/quote']

Well, that's a grossly simplified summary of the big bang, abiogenesis and evolution, but scientific theories have actual data that support them. I'm sure if you wished to discuss/learn some of the lines of evidence in support of those theores, you can search in the appropriate topics and then start new threads, if need be.

I am unaware of scientific evidence for the soul. I'd ask you to provide some, but thus far you have not been abe to grasp the basics of what constitutes evidence, so I fear it would be a wasted effort.

I'd also like to point out that "what makes sense" is not always what is true in science. It might make sense that we have to have a soul, but science has yet to find evidence about it.

Quantum mechanics hardly "makes sense" to most people, but its equations work (nearly) perfectly.

Why wouldn't it? The book said that energy flows through the Earth in different places. It has to do with the gravitational field. The book said that is the "scientific" explanation of the people who don't believe in ghosts.

Does this model make any testable predictions? Is it falsifiable? What exactly is the model? Chances are it's just a bunch of buzzwords grouped together to satisfy the gullible, like Sayo's example in another thread of a time travelling toilet powered by a trifilamental string compressor, working by folding time in two dimensions. Sounds impressive, though. Almost wants to make you undergo a paradigm shift to leverage your core competencies and think outside the box.

Well' date=' that's a grossly simplified summary of the big bang, abiogenesis and evolution, but scientific theories have actual data that support them. I'm sure if you wished to discuss/learn some of the lines of evidence in support of those theores, you can search in the appropriate topics and then start new threads, if need be.

I am unaware of scientific evidence for the soul. I'd ask you to provide some, but thus far you have not been abe to grasp the basics of what constitutes evidence, so I fear it would be a wasted effort.[/quote']

No matter what religion you believe in, we would not be aware of our thoughts without some type of a soul. There has to be something that is beyond our minds. Without it, you would be nothing more than a nature-made robot.

Does this model make any testable predictions? Is it falsifiable? What exactly is the model? Chances are it's just a bunch of buzzwords grouped together to satisfy the gullible, like Sayo's example in another thread of a time travelling toilet powered by a trifilamental string compressor, working by folding time in two dimensions. Sounds impressive, though. Almost wants to make you undergo a paradigm shift to leverage your core competencies and think outside the box.

I don't know. I only read the book, I didn't write it or talk to the people that wrote it. I suppose it would be a good explanation if you are against the existence of ghosts. All the explanations the people in this forum provided are objects that exist everywhere. There has to be something that is unique about Gettysburg. I do not get these types pictures where I live.

You did have a good point when you said it could be something specific to the area. What could it be? It wasn't really dusty, and I didn't notice a lot of bugs outside. I hate bugs, so if there were a lot of bugs I would have remembered them. There also wasn't any rain or fog. One of my ghosts books suggests an energy field near Gettysburg. This would be a good scientific explanation I could agree with, but I can't think of a way to prove that either.

ok, well lets take a look at other things then, is it possible that there are certain trees or plants nearby in that area, and prehaps the surrounding terrain causes downdrafts or rapid cooling at night allowing Pollen to fall?

it`s well know that particulate matter will fall to lower levels at night as the air cools (hayfevver sufferers know this only too well that 1`st thing in the morning and evenings are worst).

now this might NOT be the case here, but it`s yet another example of a Credible possibility, before we start assuming that it`s something Unexplainable :)

No matter what religion you believe in, we would not be aware of our thoughts without some type of a soul. There has to be something that is beyond our minds. Without it, you would be nothing more than a nature-made robot.

Presented without evidence. You can assert this all you want, but that doesn't make it so.

Chimpazees show self-awareness with the mirror test, and yet young children do not. Do chimps have a soul, and humans get theirs only after they grow up a little?

I don't know. I only read the book, I didn't write it or talk to the people that wrote it. I suppose it would be a good explanation if you are against the existence of ghosts. All the explanations the people in this forum provided are objects that exist everywhere. There has to be something that is unique about Gettysburg. I do not get these types pictures where I live.

So you are willing to accept an explanation you like, even if the details aren't explained to you ("it's an energy field interacting with gravity"), but when people give you examples of similar phenomena that they were able to create on purpose, you reject it. Well, you deserve to be scammed out of your money. Ignorance is one thing, but willing ignorance is quite another. (and you haven't just embraced ignorance, you're getting it in bed with it)

I'm not against the existence of ghosts. It's that you haven't provided any valid evidence (evidence that excludes known phenomena) in support of them.

Well, you deserve to be scammed out of your money. Ignorance is one thing, but willing ignorance is quite another. (and you haven't just embraced ignorance, you're getting in bed with it)

LOL! Another candidate for the quote thread?

ok' date=' well lets take a look at other things then, is it possible that there are certain trees or plants nearby in that area, and prehaps the surrounding terrain causes downdrafts or rapid cooling at night allowing Pollen to fall?

it`s well know that particulate matter will fall to lower levels at night as the air cools (hayfevver sufferers know this only too well that 1`st thing in the morning and evenings are worst).

now this might NOT be the case here, but it`s yet another example of a Credible possibility, before we start assuming that it`s something Unexplainable :)[/quote']

That is a very good explanation. However, I don't think pollen would look like this. Also, I took many pictures while I was at Gettysburg. When I took one picture, it wouldn't have anything unusual. If I took another picture a few seconds later, it would be filled with orbs. If it was something natural like insects or pollen, why are the orbs so random?

Have you seen some of the fake images that people can make with computers nowadays?

I think MrL uncovered the true purpose of this thread.

Yes I am aware of the fact that people can make fake images with computers. I found the following "police chase" picture on a joke web site:

jackson.jpg

The person that created this picture must have put a lot of time into it. Most fake computer images have certain objects or people that don't have shadows while all of the other objects in the picture have shadows.

Anyway, I think fake computer images are off topic. I know for a fact that these images were not created by a computer because I took them with my own camera! If I had downloaded these from a web site, I would believe that they could be fake. However, I took these pictures myself.

Mr Legs haunted a house I used to live in. He used to walk around in my housemate Becky's boots all day, clomp clomp clomp. Eventually she got sick of it and tried to bang his heads together, but she just got ectoplasm all over herself.

mr_legs.jpg

Mr Legs haunted a house I used to live in. He used to walk around in my housemate Becky's boots all day, clomp clomp clomp. Eventually she got sick of it and tried to bang his heads together, but she just got ectoplasm all over herself.

:confused: Strange...

so, herme3, why can't you actually see the ghosts? it seems to me that if they show up on the camera, they would more than likely be visible to your eyes.

I actually did see the orbs exactly when the flash went off. It was so quickly, that I didn't have a chance to actually look at them. However, I would normally know whether or not the picture I just took would have orbs before I looked at the picture. Of course, I never actually saw the orbs floating around. It was almost like the orbs reflected the flash. If you live close to Gettysburg, you should go to the battlefield at night with a camera. You will understand what I'm talking about, and you will probably get your own orb pictures. There are many stories about people seeing the actual ghosts at night. However, I've never experienced such a thing.

Even though I haven't experienced anything more than taking these pictures, I still plan on going back to Gettysburg. Who knows what I might find. There are so many stories of so many mysteries at Gettysburg. That's why I think some of you should go there before trying to come up with an explanation. You might actually see a real ghost walk up to you. Then you would believe some of the stories...

I don't understand why I'm the one that should have to prove the existence of unexplainable events in Gettysburg. I'm not saying there is a monster in my own home. Gettysburg is a public place, and you should go there before claiming these events are fiction or misunderstood.

I don't understand why I'm the one that should have to prove the existence of unexplainable events in Gettysburg. I'm not saying there is a monster in my own home. Gettysburg is a public place' date=' and you should go there before claiming these events are fiction or misunderstood.[/quote']

in the same sentence you say Yourself! these events are "Unexplainable" and then try to blame US for the "Misunderstood" part?

and NO ONE here said the Orbs were "Fiction" either.

next time you go there, take some cardboard and some Tape, put the tape on the card Sticky side up and leave them out at night around the place, see what you collect! :)

taking a camera to confirm the presence of them too and a good magnifying glass will come in handy too.

THAT would be alot more Scientific as a method than arriving at conclusions without data.

I actually did see the orbs exactly when the flash went off. It was so quickly' date=' that I didn't have a chance to actually look at them. However, I would normally know whether or not the picture I just took would have orbs before I looked at the picture. Of course, I never actually saw the orbs floating around. It was almost like the orbs reflected the flash. If you live close to Gettysburg, you should go to the battlefield at night with a camera. You will understand what I'm talking about, and you will probably get your own orb pictures. There are many stories about people seeing the actual ghosts at night. However, I've never experienced such a thing.

Even though I haven't experienced anything more than taking these pictures, I still plan on going back to Gettysburg. Who knows what I might find. There are so many stories of so many mysteries at Gettysburg. That's why I think some of you should go there before trying to come up with an explanation. You might actually see a real ghost walk up to you. Then you would believe some of the stories...

I don't understand why I'm the one that should have to prove the existence of unexplainable events in Gettysburg. I'm not saying there is a monster in my own home. Gettysburg is a public place, and you should go there before claiming these events are fiction or misunderstood.[/quote']

If they are visdible to a flash, they should show up with just a bright light. Bring a good flashlight with you, and see what you see, or rather, what you don't see. (unless you need glasses, I predict you won't see orbs)

You have to prove it because you're the one making the claim. If you just said, "This is weird" people may or may not agree, depending on whether they've seen stuff like that before. But the conclusion that you are seeing ghosts breaks the rues of science and logic. The default is "I don't know," not "These are ghosts." And since lens flares and out-of-focus reflections are common and well-understood, to draw any other conclusion requires YOU to conclusively eliminate them as a cause.

Just like if I were to see something fall up, I would have to conclusively eliminate wind, propulsion devices and any other lift forces before I started talking about antigravity.