Ghosts

herme3

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well, im still a little skeptical about why a ghost would want to turn on a light in an empty building. I really dont know about ghosts. Im not saying that they would have a motive, but still haunting seems a bit childish. Then again, Im not an expert on these types of things, as Im a big skepticist :)

I don't really think that a ghost turned on a light. I was just wondering what that light is. It could be the camera's flash, but normally a flash would look like a star or something. This light looks a little strange. If you zoom in, it almost looks like a person, or some type of creature. It may be difficult to see on the web site, because the photo is compressed. It would use too much bandwidth if the photo was a higher quality.

lol, i realized that. but refraction can be tricky to interpret. I still think an optics section would do some good around here :). I think that a flash from a camera would make a more wide light on a window, unless that window was convex to the point where it would relfect more light than the rest. But since you can see the interior of the room (or what apprears to the interior), I would assume that the light inside is on, or at least from an inside source.

If the house was completely dark, and the light had to have come from inside the house, doesn't that prove that some type of "supernatural force" was in that house? Like many other houses in Gettysburg, that house was said to be haunted. My next question is why does the camera see that light, but we never saw it with our own eyes? Could this light be in another dimension or something?

Actually, its anthropomorphising or anthropomorphizing.... seems google isn't a great dictionary.... well anyway, whos gives a stuff....... if you want to know how to spell it there it is, but we knew what you meant, good try though.... try spelling it phonetically if you can say it, works for me normally. an-thro-po-mor-phis-ing

edit: needed to shift a hyphen

Anthropomorphizing is the correct way to spell the word, and it means giving human characteristics to something non-human. If you don't believe that there is anything human-like in these pictures, what are the ghost-like objects? Why do so many people get them on camera at Gettysburg?

Quite a few good explanations have been given for what these photographical artifacts are, if you would bother to read the thread you might see them there. How are orbs in any way human??? As for the translucent anomaly why do you think its human. It seems your reasoning is that since we can't explain it it must be ghosts ....... the proper reasoning to have would be we don't know what it is untill it can be explained.

I am an American. I found the word in a dictionary, so my guess would be that it is the correct spelling. I guess it could be different in another English country. About the pictures on my web site, I've never really said they were ghosts. They just look like other photos from Gettysburg that people say are ghosts. By the way, if anybody does not know, Gettysburg is the place where a battle of the US Civil War took place. Thousands of people were killed there in just a few days. Anyway, on my web site, I tried to be careful not to call the pictures "ghost pictures". Instead I try to call them "ghost-like figures" or I say "they appear to be ghosts". I actually have no idea what they are. I've never taken any photos like these before I went to Gettysburg. That is why I am asking about them on a couple forums. Many people on a Christian forum say that they are demons. The people on the science forum say that it is most likely something else. I am trying to get several opinions about this, and maybe I can figure out what they really are. I have been carefully reading and thinking about each reply on this forum. I want to thank everyone very much who took the time to reply. However, nobody agrees on one explanation. I haven't read an explanation that I am completely satisfied with. The demon concept seems to make more sense than a camera error. Why would I get ghost-like pictures in Gettysburg, but not in other places? Also, why do other people get similar ghost-like photos at Gettysburg?

Why would I get ghost-like pictures in Gettysburg, but not in other places? Also, why do other people get similar ghost-like photos at Gettysburg?
my guess would be because you (and others) expect there to be some in the picture, and thus they are subject to greater scrutiny. there no mention of the greater percentage taken where there are no such features :)

I`de lay wager on it.

I`ve seen it all to often myself, Digi cams are espcialy prone to it as the aquisition time is quite slow (similar to shutter speed on a regular cam).

it can cause some very interesting effects, some of which are hard to explain, until repeated. but explainable they are! and also repeatable (the most important part).

The demon concept seems to make more sense than a camera error

In what way exactly?

Cameras record visible light. If there were "demons" there, you'd be able to see them.

I suggest you look into the optical properties and behaviour of cameras instead of mystical speculation.

I am an American......I guess it could be different in another English country.

Hurrah, I knew that American 'independance' was just a fad. You owe us some tea, btw.

Why would I get ghost-like pictures in Gettysburg, but not in other places? Also, why do other people get similar ghost-like photos at Gettysburg?

I've been to Gettysburg, and all I got were pictures of cannonballs. Perhaps your camera had a mark on the lens?

SHOW US THE PICTURES!!!!!!11111222

SHOW US THE PICTURES

The best pictures are on my web site at http://gettysburg.homestead.com.

Yes, I believe that the insect theory seems possible. I'll have to experiment with the camera again to see if that is true. However, many of the pictures I took didn't have any orbs in them. Why would the orbs show up in some of the pictures, but not in others?

The first picture just looks too much like a person. The first picture is really dark, so if you have your monitor's brightness set too low you won't see anything. Just look carefully inside the yellow rectangle. It really looks like the outline of a person. I took that picture in the basement of Jennie Wade's house. It is now a museum. The museum had pictures that other people have taken with both regular and digital cameras. They showed strange things in that same spot my picture has that ghost-like figure. That was the exact spot where Jennie Wade's dead body was left.

On a "non-fiction" TV show about Gettysburg, they were talking about that basement. A lot of people that go there get a very strange feeling while they are down there. People said that they have heard strange noises, and even saw the ghost-like figure with their own eyes. Why would so many people lie about that?

here would be a good way to test the insect idea, you`de have to wait until mid winter, pref in sub zero temps and try again. providing there`s no snow in the air, the pics should turn out clear as insects wont be flying around in those temps :)

in the last pic on your site (the window one) was there any lighting behind you to the left of the shot?

the prob with that it`s temporary at best (seconds) before new bugs fly in to take their place :(

maybe some sort of attractant (honey pot) out of shot. although I can`t see that the cold would effect much other than insects and perhaps tree foliage. a Ghost wouldn`t care much I wouldn`t have though :)

"However, many of the pictures I took didn't have any orbs in them. Why would the orbs show up in some of the pictures, but not in others?"

Why would insects be caught in the flash of some of your pics and not others? Well.... because insects aren't everywhere all the time.

In the last pic on your site (the window one) was there any lighting behind you to the left of the shot?

I don't think so. We were on a "ghost tour" when I took that picture so there were other people around. We waited a few minutes for other people to stop taking pictures, so the flash of their cameras wouldn't affect our pictures. There were lights on each side of the house, but the house itself was dark except for one light at the top.

• 3 months later...

The pics look just like imperfections with the camera or photo to me. I have lots of pics with odd things in them like that.

ON a side note, I know lots of people who are utterly convinced they have either seen a ghost of experienced one. When pressed for another (non-supernatural) explanation, they deny ever having thought of such a thing. People tend to fall into the "if I can't explain it easily, then it must be supernatural" mindset too easily. Now I am not saying this is what you did here, but with all the movies and books we experience out there it is always an interesting possibility. For instance I know a kid who was relieving himself in his bathroom one night, when the door to the medicine cabinet closed as if on its own. He is taken to believe this is a ghost's doing. I am not going to call him stupid, but he never thought of any explanation in the realm of mundane for it. I have seen lots of doors close as if by themselves as a result of air currents and simply wind. Sometimes old houses have unstable fllors and simply shifting your weight can cause something to fall or move mysteriously.

Just an aside I wanted to discuss....