A Very Low Blow

Pangloss

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=politicsNews&storyID=6562017

You know what, say what you like about Dick Cheney, but the fact remains that he's a 63 year old man with four heart attacks on his record, and second-in-line to lead this country. He'd damn well BETTER get a flu shot.

This really pisses me off:

The Kerry campaign accused the Bush administration of "telling Americans to keep calm" while top officials like Cheney and Treasury Secretary John Snow get their flu shots.

"Once again the Bush administration proves that it is the 'Do as we say, not as we do' White House," Kerry campaign spokesman Phil Singer said.

BUSH hasn't gotten and won't be getting a flu shot. So this is utterly ridiculous. Cheney is a POSTER CHILD for flu shots, in the highest risk area there is. Come on, give the guy a break.

wtf is with this flue shot crap? What happened to drinking plenty of orange juice?

I mean, I drink lots of orange juice, beer, and other uhm, natural medicinal herbs, and I never get sick. I can't remember the last time I had the flu, and I rode my motorcycle through all three huricanes that past through NC.

As to this, well, of course the elite politicians get flu shots, you know, they are the most important people in america!

Are you a 63 year old man with four heart attacks and a pacemaker?

I think you need to re-read what I wrote above. I'm getting seriously sick and tired of people taking a little bit of information and spinning it off into the hinterlands. Not here, mind you, or you specifically, I just mean in general.

no, but I know 60+ year old people who do not get sick either, and do not use flu shots.

and sorry for the rant, but it seems like they are really making a big deal out of this flu shot crap in general, i mean, people have survived for how long without it?

I mean, ya, if it was truly a threat to mr cheney, get it, and no, they really shouldn't be giving him a hard time. But I also can't help but wonder how many 63 year old people who've had 4 heart attacks will be going without it, who are not politicians.

maybe I need to ask in another thread what the big stink is about the flu shot, I mean, people have been going quite sometime without it, and there are plenty of ways to prevent the flu. Most the ones I know, I learned from my recent deceased grandfather who was 74 years old, multiple heart surgeries, pace makers, and refused to have a flu shot, also never got the flu.

as to the point, dude, its politics, its all about making the other side look as bad as possible, you know this.

I mean, ya, if it was truly a threat to mr cheney, get it, and no, they really shouldn't be giving him a hard time.

That's really all I was looking for, thanks. I think you came in here thinking this was a partisan issue, and WANTED it to be one. It's not. That's not a reflection on you, I know you're not a mean guy and didn't intend it to sound that way. What it IS a reflection on is how divisive and partisan both extremes have become in this election cycle.

THIS is why I object to guys like Michael Moore and Rush Limbaugh. THIS. These people are yelling fire in a crowded theater, and I'm sick and tired of it. I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it lying down anymore. I will have a LOT to say about partisanship after this election is over, and I'm going to say it as loudly as I possibly can.

By the way, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing Jon Stewart was talking about when he jumped all over the guys on Crossfire for doing everyone a disservice.

But I also can't help but wonder how many 63 year old people who've had 4 heart attacks will be going without it, who are not politicians.

If you know of any, great, let's hear it. From what I understand, those are the kinds of people who are getting them right now. The lady from CDC who was on Nightline last night certainly indicated that that was the case.

But I think you're asking the wrong question. The right question is: If we're going to give the flu vaccine to ANYBODY, why WOULDN'T we give it to a guy like Dick Cheney?

maybe I need to ask in another thread what the big stink is about the flu shot, I mean, people have been going quite sometime without it, and there are plenty of ways to prevent the flu.

Actually there are NO other ways to prevent it (short of just happening to not encounter the it, which is basically blind luck). Every method you've heard is pure bunk. If you encounter the virus in sufficient quantites, you get the diease, and your system will either deal with it, or (in the case of these at-risk people), it will not. Period.

In fact I've also read now that Clinton got a flu shot, making these comments from the Kerry campaign even more ridiculous.

Yes, I had read that both Clinton and Cheney had received flu shots.

Certainly, Clinton with his quadruple bypass and Cheney with his 4 heart attacks, certainly must be at the top of the list to receive a shot.

I'd like to know who's advising Kerry and the dems, to toss out cheap shot like that.

Unfortunately, many people decide with their 'gut' on things like this. The only thing they remember from the debates are 'global' and 'lesbian' and that Bush isn't coherant, but means what he says.

The remarks about Kerry hunting and windsurfing, etc. aren't low blows, but still in the same vain of distraction.

This isn't haggling over whether Cheney wears a toupee, bud! Flu kills more people very year than die on AUTO ACCIDENTS. And it's been cut in HALF over the last decade thanks to people taking the vaccine seriously. Politicizing it is DANGEROUS.

This is a SERIOUS health issue, and the pinhead spokesman at the Kerry campaign who said it needs to be take away from his weapon before he actually hurts somebody. Like I said, these people (both campaigns) are yelling fire in crowded theaters. It needs to STOP.

Ive truly gotten sick of these "low-blow" adds. Each party is searching through the dirt and much with fine toothed combs for adhominem attacks against the others. Debate the issues, not the people supporting them!

Next election, I'll be able to vote, and I'll pay more attention to the personal attacks to each candidate. But I'll be more influenced by who goes lower, and who refuses to go low at all!

A very low blow indeed. That was just plain stupid.

If you want to spin something like that this close to election, you say "Thank God Cheney got a flu shot! With his poor health and being the second most powerful man in the world, he should be at the top of the list!"