Food/ Herbs/ Vitamins for the Brain; what should I eat to help me revise?

Food/ Herbs/ Vitamins for the Brain; what should I eat to help me revise?

I hear sage is good as is vitamin B. Plz be quite specific.

Mmm yum a sage, yeast and garlic milkshake, just what i need before the exam :S

fruit (blueberries and bananas), veggies (broccoli and carrots), fish (salmon and tuna) lots of water, 8 hours of sleep, multi vitamin, Vit C, B and E. Foods with olive oil instead of saturated fat. Nuts. You might try Ginkou biloba, but I won't necessarily recommend it. There is also a way to cheat if really ever need to-a b12 shot is powerful stuff. It's more of an energy boost than anything but it has an amazing temporary effect on alot of people.

Caffeine only improves a tired mind.

This is off topic and I don't know if you would be interested but it seems like there are several people on this forum who are looking for ways to boost their brainpower. This is kind of an area of interest for me so ill tell you one thing I know that is fast and very productive at increasing your brainpower. Practice using your mental eye. When you study something visualize it in great detail. Visualize each of the individual components and visualize how they all work together. When you think about photosynthesis think about the all of the components involved. Imagine leaves of the tree interacting with light. See the photons of light striking the chemical molecules and see how the electron becomes excited. Imagine the electron being passes from molecule to molecule of the photosystem until it reaches its destination.

Constantly practice at improving your powers of visualization until it becomes a habit to see things in great detail. If you do this you will not be disappointed at the results.

Sorry, if that’s too off topic.

visualization isnt a strong point for me i prefer facts and figures. I also read somewhere that polyunsaturated fats are bad for the brain (or not good for it..) is this true, even if they are better for the heart?. Also extra iron and garlic etc. for the blood, will it help to make my oxygen transportion ot the brain more efficient?

I also read somewhere that polyunsaturated fats are bad for the brain (or not good for it..) is this true' date=' even if they are better for the heart?.

[/quote']

I highly doubt that unsaturated fats are bad for the brain.

Also extra iron and garlic etc. for the blood' date=' will it help to make my oxygen transportation ot the brain more efficient?[/quote']

Garlic thins the blood; it’s probably most useful for stroke patients and age-related brain circulation problems. It is interesting that both garlic and Ginko biloba thin the blood. There are some studies that indicate that ginko biloba improves mental function and there are some studies that indicate that garlic can help an aging mind. I wonder if this is due to some extent to their blood thinning properties or it’s just a coincidence. I don't believe that I would take garlic purely for its brain boosting potential

If your body has adequate amounts of iron I don't think taking iron pills will be helpful. Iron is used by hemoglobin to latch onto oxygen. Taking iron is probably most useful after giving blood or acclimatizing after you change altitudes, or of course if you have a deficiency.

a good ballanced diet, plenty of excersize in fresh air is all you`ll need (I feel like a broken record LOL).

rem also, that the brains MAIN food is Glucose, it`s the heaviest user of it, so fresh fruits and Veg are great! :)

Fish is also good as well as Choline containing foods and potassium containing foods, but that all comes under a ballanced diet.

personaly I`de steer clear of artificial stims even if naturaly occuring, General Overall health is the MAIN key factor here, coupled with enough sleep for the Catabolic phases to do their repair work too :)

• 2 months later...

YT2095 has the right idea, although it is a broken record lol

J/k

I would think that anything containing essential amino acids would do well in replenshing your body's supply, and helping out with keeping your brain well fed. I would venture to say Taurine would be high on my list, but don't get it from red bull....that stuff is wayyy over-inflated for its benefits....as are most drinks that come in an 8oz can...

• 1 month later...

Supplements:

Choline as Lecithin

Fish Oil - Omega 3's

Vitamin C

Vitamin B rich multi-vitamin

These amino acid:

tryptophane, lysine, methionine, phenylanlanine, threonine, valine, leucine, tyrosine, and isoleucine

nootropics such as:

Piracetam

Hydergine

Ginko Biloba

stimulants:

caffeine

amphetamine

L-tyrosine

Ginkgo

Salmon

Berries

Avoid all sugar. No OJ.

There are legal amphetamines prescribed for people with ADD/ADHD. If that isn't your problem, you probably don't need them.

500mg of Acetyl L-Carnitine taken an hour before before food and other supplementation will help deliver amino acids.

If you have desperate, desperate test anxiety, you might try GABA.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice scam.

http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/lapre.html

Edit: The website does raise an interesting question though. Are synthetic sources of vitamins and minerals worse for you than natural ones?

What a complete and obvious con. What kind of people are so credulous as to fall for that nonsense?

On the question of synthetic vitamins and minerals. As long as they are the right isomer then there is no difference at all between natural and synthetic.