Making a new OS for computers?

Cap'n Refsmmat

Would it be possible for an organization like SFN to work together to make a new OS?

Not that I think it would happen, but I have loads of ideas for a better OS.

• Make the taskbar better-have it be a box in the lower right-hand corner. Mouse over one part and a bar with all of your favorite programs' icons comes out across the bottom (or side). Mouse over a different part and the bar with all of the running programs comes out.
  • Have a filter that asks you whenever a program tries to delete data or format a drive-protecting you from the effects of viruses.
  • Have it come with Firefox and Thunderbird.
  • Make a new idea for the "start" menu--for example, have it be part of the bar on the bottom. Since all of your favorite programs are already on the bar, you only use it occasionally.
  • Design a word processor that automatically compresses files before it saves them.
  • Make it easily skinnable.
  • And any other ideas I think of.

Is it feasible?

Would it be possible for an organization like SFN to work together to make a new OS?

Not that I think it would happen' date=' but I have loads of ideas for a better OS.

[list']

[*]Make the taskbar better-have it be a box in the lower right-hand corner. Mouse over one part and a bar with all of your favorite programs' icons comes out across the bottom (or side). Mouse over a different part and the bar with all of the running programs comes out.

[*]Have a filter that asks you whenever a program tries to delete data or format a drive-protecting you from the effects of viruses.

[*]Have it come with Firefox and Thunderbird.

[*]Make a new idea for the "start" menu--for example, have it be part of the bar on the bottom. Since all of your favorite programs are already on the bar, you only use it occasionally.

[*]Design a word processor that automatically compresses files before it saves them.

[*]Make it easily skinnable.

[*]And any other ideas I think of.

Is it feasible?

well, its deffinately possible to make a new OS. highschool kids do it sometimes.

as for those features, they all seem possible, some may be harder to come by than others.

I was talking to a friend about this just last week. It would be possible of course, and people do it all the time, but I think it would be nearly impossible to make it a big contender for OS. With a good team I'd be more than willing to give it a crack though :D

surely it would be easier to take linux and as its open source upgrade and edit that... then you can submit it to the linux site or company somehow and apparently they take the best mods and include that in their new linux OS.

The thing is Microsoft just keeps updating Windows. It's not new at all, so they never totally overhaul it. It needs to be overhauled and redone, considering how bad it's gotten.

It is possible to take the Linux source and really meddle around with it, but it would take a lot of fooling around with.

well' date=' its deffinately possible to make a new OS. highschool kids do it sometimes.

as for those features, they all seem possible, some may be harder to come by than others.[/quote']

It is hard for one person to do it themselfs. I have made a text based one but there is a lot more to it if you want it to have graphics and so on. Maybe a team could do it but you would have tons of work to do.

Lots of things you have to learn and do. You have to design your own bootloader and things like that. If you have the skills to do it then go for it. Or you could take the source to Linux and modify it to your needs and distribute it. I would do that.

The thing is Microsoft just keeps updating Windows. It's not new at all, so they never totally overhaul it. It needs to be overhauled and redone, considering how bad it's gotten.

Do you have any justification for that statement? The list of 'improvements' you have suggested mostly reduce usability and remove options from the user - they also have very little to do with an OS.

If you feel that Windows is a bad OS then please state why, I fear you are repeating an old and tired statement that bears very little resemblance to considered opinion.

Cap'n, right click on your taskbar.

Go to toolbars

Go to "Add new toolbar" or something to that effect.

Now, make a whole bunch of shortcuts to your favorite programs, drag them to the new toolbar you just made, and POOF!

you can add all sortsa toolbars to your taskbar. I have one for instance that is "My Computer" this way I can browse my hd from the desktop without opening windows explorer.

As to making a new OS, I do wonder why noone else has made an IBM-Compatible OS to rival windows. Does MS have exclusive rights to the ibm-compatibility?

they don't have exclusive rights, but anti-monopoly laws can't really do anything to stop the monopoly microsoft has achieved fair and square.

Mac and Windows will be the only big contenders for a long time, with linux hot on their tails of course :)

Cap'n' date=' right click on your taskbar.

Go to toolbars

Go to "Add new toolbar" or something to that effect.

Now, make a whole bunch of shortcuts to your favorite programs, drag them to the new toolbar you just made, and POOF![/quote']

What about the Quick Launch thingy? Is that not the same thing?