Will polygamy/gay marriage be legalised everywhere one day in the future?

Mr Rayon

I don't see the point of the entire marriage bullshit in the first place. Either you live together or you don't. As far as I am concerned, it's time to get free from the chains of corruption that is religion.

I don't see the point of the entire marriage bullshit in the first place. Either you live together or you don't. As far as I am concerned, it's time to get free from the chains of corruption that is religion.

There are people who say that science is a religion.

There are people who say that science is a religion.

Only if a 'scientist' is absolutely certain he is right which is the fundamental basis of any Faith ...properly trained good scientists have a high level of confidence in something based on probability which is not the same as certainty...they will dump an idea if it's wrong, therefore. scientific practice in the right hands is not akin to a religion.

Edited by StringJunky

The purpose of science is to change, the purpose of religion is to stay the same.

An excellent aphorism. Climatology has in recent decades, lost any claim to be a Science. It's become more like a religion. Its purpose is to uphold the belief in man-made Global Warming. Sceptics are denounced as "deniers". As if they were denying the truth of Holy Writ.

Thankfully this doesn't yet apply to Physics. Let's hope no-one ever gets denounced for "denying" QT or Relativity.

I'm pretty sure the reason for polygamy laws has to do with tax breaks and the like that come with marriage, multiple marriage means multiple tax benefits. Plus you have the problems with sorting out the inheritances with multiple wives/husbands. At least that's how it was always explained to me way polygamy was outlawed, not because of the morality behind it.

An excellent aphorism. Climatology has in recent decades, lost any claim to be a Science. It's become more like a religion. Its purpose is to uphold the belief in man-made Global Warming. Sceptics are denounced as "deniers". As if they were denying the truth of Holy Writ.

Thankfully this doesn't yet apply to Physics. Let's hope no-one ever gets denounced for "denying" QT or Relativity.

!

Moderator Note

Please stay on topic

I rather doubt polygamy will be legalized in the United States any time soon. Public opinion is still solidly against it as demonstrated by public support for recent prosecutions of polygamists . The legalization of gay marriage is quite another story. Polls taken during the recent New York vote showed that the majority of Americans are now of the opinion that homosexuals should have the right to marriage.

Recent studies by social scientists have shown that the outcomes of children raised by homosexual couples are at least as good as those of children raised by heterosexual couples. Homosexual couples tend to be wealthier and it is physically imposable for them to accidentally have a child both of which are statistically good things for their children, suggesting that there is a possibility that same sex couples may in fact lead to better outcomes for children. The only data I’ve seen suggesting poor outcomes for children raised by same sex couples is that these children are more then twice as likely to be bullied which is far from the parents’ fault. I fail to see anything lending credence to the claim that same sex marriage threatens traditional marriages.

If your question about polygamy and gay marriage flows from the canard that “legitimizing gay marriage will legitimize polygamy, bestiality and pedophilia,” please do provide some evidence for such a claim.

As for the claim that climate science is religion, swasont has said to drop it so I’ll only suggest that you look into the case McLean v. Arkansas in which the court made a finding of fact regarding what is science and what is religion. I would suggest that under the court’s test climate science is very clearly a science and not a religion.

Edited by bob000555