My toenails are not healthy

nec209

For some reason my toenails are brittle and scratch easy for lack of medical terminology.That means when I cut my toenails I have to be very very very careful not to scratch my toenail.

When having a shower and coming out of the shower it starts to peel by the base or edges and takes a long time to heel and some times does not heel and I just have to live with it for new toenail to grow .

And if I touch it or bump it not hard it scratches easy and peels easy.You have to treat your toenails as if it is a glass ornament.

It slow to heel and very sensitive to water or touch.About 6 months ago I bumped one of my toenails very hard and it was black ,blue and bruised with blood !! It still is but is taking long time grow out .

I thought it takes 12 months to grow a new toenail? It is ony one third the way !! And this was 6 months ago!!

My toenails are slow to heel and grow. And get scratched easy and cannot put water on it or have a shower.

This was not the case 6 years ago my toenails was much stronger and could take much more of a beating.

I hear you can take alot about a persons health by looking at their toenails .

Note I do have other major health problems that start close that same time.

Edited by nec209

You need to change your diet. Ask your pharmacist for food supplements.

Do you think there is a problem with my diet? What I'm lacking?

Edited by nec209

Tell me michel123456,

Are you a doctor or a dietician?

Presumably you must be a really good one to make a diagnosis of a problem you have not actually seen.

I'm an internet doctor, and I believe the man has leprosy.

...Michel, not the OP. I don't know what's wrong with the OP's toenails. Could be he needs to change his diet.

Most likely, as crabby toenails can be a sign of malnutrition of some sort. Look it up with a professional, see what you're missing.

Edit: changed wording

Edited by pwagen

Most likely, as crabby toenails can be a sign of malnutrition of some sort. Look it up with a professional, see what you're missing.

Edit: changed wording

There is no such word has crubby .

What do you mean by malnutrition ? Lacking protein or vitamins?

Tell me michel123456,

Are you a doctor or a dietician?

Presumably you must be a really good one to make a diagnosis of a problem you have not actually seen.

My wife has exactly the same problem.

-------------

edit

It is a very common problem. There is a lot of information available on the web.

Edited by michel123456

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crubby

Doesn't matter much though, as that's not what I wrote.

Missing something, however I'm not a physiologist, so can't say what. If you're worried, take it to a professional.

Spelling , I think you mean crumbly if so no they are not just sensitive to water and touch.After shower they start peeling by by base and edges.They scratch easy .

nec209---Why are drifting this topic this much. If I were you, I would have been thrice to a doctor rather than asking people who you are not sure of.

No doubt on anyone's intelligence, but visiting doctor is must.

One thing I should add I have little to no milk in my diet. And not enough fruit and vegetables if that is any help.

nec209---Why are drifting this topic this much. If I were you, I would have been thrice to a doctor rather than asking people who you are not sure of.

No doubt on anyone's intelligence, but visiting doctor is must.

There are doctors here and people who have a PHD in biology.

There are doctors here and people who have a PHD in biology.

Do any of the people with a PhD in biology have medical diagnosis within their scope of practice?

Are any of the physicians present able to perform physical examinations over the internet?

Either of these would be highly unusual and interesting people--I look forward to meeting them.

There's an entire variety of diet problems (iron deficiency, vitamin C deficiency, folic acid deficiency, and probably more) that can cause brittle nails. You should see a doctor, who can perform a blood test to determine the source of the problem.

You live in a country with socialized medicine, so I don't see why you are so reluctant to simply see a doctor.

• 2 weeks later...
Note I do have other major health problems that start close that same time.

First of all, as everyone else has stated already, anyone who tries to diagnose a problem from a forum post is probably not the wisest...

But in the interest of an academic discussion...

There are dietary deficiencies that can cause nail findings as the Cap'n stated. *But* these are rare in developed nations unless you're on a particularly unusual diet or an alcoholic. Frequently nail findings are associated with diseases. Nail infections (like fugal aka onychomycosis) are common in the general population and especially prevalent in people with significant disease burden such as Diabetes, immune compromise, etc etc. Psoriasis is notorious for causing nail findings, you can also google things like Beaus lines, Mees lines, Meuhrcke's nails just to look.

But yeah, go see your doctor to address your concern because only they can actually look at your nails, hear your medical history, properly diagnose them, and offer you a plan.