heat from sun

Athena

I hope I am posting in the right place.

I want to know, why do I feel the warmth of the sun's rays when the sun is visible from my window, but not when the sun is the other side of the building? Like on the south side of the building, there is light, but not heat. On the north side, there is a lot of heat with the sun shine coming in.

Like even if there is no heat with reflect sun light, why not? What happens to the heat?

Edited by Athena

well, there is still light, but its a whole lot darker than being in full view of sunlight.

if you look at the brightest point in each case, in one you'lll get eye damage in the other wou won't.

well the same thing happens to the direct heat, in direct sunlight there is enough to feel warm but in shade the indirect heat isn't quite enough.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the human eye is a very poor judge of light intensity, look into a light bulb indoors and it might make you squint but take it outside in the direct sun and you can hardly tell the bulb is lit. Your eye adjusts to the ambient light level making dim light appear as bright as possible and bright light dimmer.

well, there is still light, but its a whole lot darker than being in full view of sunlight.

if you look at the brightest point in each case, in one you'lll get eye damage in the other wou won't.

well the same thing happens to the direct heat, in direct sunlight there is enough to feel warm but in shade the indirect heat isn't quite enough.

I knew that. I love coming here with my questions, because I forget what I know. Maybe you have to be over 60 to understand that? But it is kind of like being a kid all over again, discovering things for the first time. In fact I'd like to change name here to "annoying kid". You know how the kid always asks why? Your answer makes me even more curious! Why can our eyes be damaged if we stare directly at the eclipse?

Oh, oh, also you must not look at the sparks when someone is welding, because that can burn the eye too. I remember that because I did look, when I was told not too and hurt my eye. I am guessing the energy that burns the eye is the same coming from the sun or the sparks of welding. But why?

All light is not the same, but why? What is happening?

I knew that. I love coming here with my questions, because I forget what I know. Maybe you have to be over 60 to understand that? But it is kind of like being a kid all over again, discovering things for the first time. In fact I'd like to change name here to "annoying kid". You know how the kid always asks why? Your answer makes me even more curious! Why can our eyes be damaged if we stare directly at the eclipse?

Oh, oh, also you must not look at the sparks when someone is welding, because that can burn the eye too. I remember that because I did look, when I was told not too and hurt my eye. I am guessing the energy that burns the eye is the same coming from the sun or the sparks of welding. But why?

All light is not the same, but why? What is happening?

It is the Ultra Violet light that you cannot see that damages your eyes when you look at the sun and at a welder in action. The actinic (UV) light from a welder will give you what appears to be a sun burn if you are exposed long enough.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the human eye is a very poor judge of light intensity, look into a light bulb indoors and it might make you squint but take it outside in the direct sun and you can hardly tell the bulb is lit. Your eye adjusts to the ambient light level making dim light appear as bright as possible and bright light dimmer.

Wow Moontanman, what an interesting addition to the answer. Oh geeze, now I have to know, how does the eye do that? If we are in the snow, the reflection can be so bright, we have to squint. This too can hurt the eyes can't it? I have heard of snow blindness, and don't know for sure what that means. I just now we squint when a light is too bright. The original question is more interesting than I realized. Not only does some light have heat, but it can damage our eyes. I am still curious. Why is not all light the same? Why would reflected light from the snow hurt our eyes, but not the reflected light from the moon which can safely look at? But we shouldn't stare at the sun like we stare at the moon.

Wow Moontanman, what an interesting addition to the answer. Oh geeze, now I have to know, how does the eye do that? If we are in the snow, the reflection can be so bright, we have to squint. This too can hurt the eyes can't it? I have heard of snow blindness, and don't know for sure what that means. I just now we squint when a light is too bright. The original question is more interesting than I realized. Not only does some light have heat, but it can damage our eyes. I am still curious. Why is not all light the same? Why would reflected light from the snow hurt our eyes, but not the reflected light from the moon which can safely look at? But we shouldn't stare at the sun like we stare at the moon.

We squint and also have a blink response, the iris opens and closes, and there's the interaction with the rods and cones, giving a nonlinear response to light levels, which allows it to operate over a fairly wide range of intensities. The danger, as mentioned above, is that light in the UV (and IR) does not trigger the iris or blink response, so you can damage the eye before you know what's going on. It's also a danger of cheap sunglasses (especially kids sunglasses) that don't block UV; the lower light levels open the iris, which makes the eye more susceptible to damage from the UV.

Yipes you replied before I replied to your answer. So now it is the ultra violet light that causes the problem. Okay, I know light is a spectrum but I sure don't know the meaning of that. I know if you grow plants under different colored lenses, each plant will be deformed in a different way, depending on the color of light that can't get through to the plant. Oh, G- I am burning with curiosity! Why all the different vibrations? How can this be? What in blazes is vibrating and why all the different speeds? Why must a plant have all the colors to be healthy?

And still what is it that causes heat, and why does the angle of the light seem to make a difference, you know coming through the north window, but not the south? The light is there but not the heat. What causes the heat? The ultra violet light doesn't get to the south window? (this really isn't an idol question. I have an apartment on the north side and get a lot of heat. I am moving to an apartment on the south side and I am really worried about the increased heat bill. I am trying to figure out if there is any possible way to compensate for this, besides paying more of electricity.) Can we excite the light in some way to create heat? :lol: My neighbors will really love me, if I experiment in my apartment and burn the whole building down.

Edited by Athena

The original question is more interesting than I realized. Not only does some light have heat, but it can damage our eyes. I am still curious. Why is not all light the same? Why would reflected light from the snow hurt our eyes, but not the reflected light from the moon which can safely look at? But we shouldn't stare at the sun like we stare at the moon.

Light is Electromagnetic radiation, from red to violet, is the EM radiation we can see, longer wave lengths are felt as heat, even longer wave lengths are microwaves, radio and other even longer waves. UV is short wave lengths, then it goes to x-rays then to gamma rays. Short wave length EM radiation is more energetic than long waves and is more harmful to the human body but if it is intense enough even long wave EM radiation can harm you, microwaves are used for cooking is an example.

Reflected light from the moon is far too weak to harm you but reflected light from snow is almost as intense as the direct sunlight. This happens because the moon is so far away and snow is right under your feet, also snow reflects far more light than the much darker moon does...

Yipes you replied before I replied to your answer. So now it is the ultra violet light that causes the problem. Okay, I know light is a spectrum but I sure don't know the meaning of that. I know if you grow plants under different colored lenses, each plant will be deformed in a different way, depending on the color of light that can't get through to the plant. Oh, G- I am burning with curiosity! Why all the different vibrations? How can this be? What in blazes is vibrating and why all the different speeds? Why must a plant have all the colors to be healthy?

Actually, the lens thing is misleading, green plants use basically red and some blue light, plants absorb red and blue light (there are exception in algae and such but green complex plants use mostly those two wave lengths) they reflect the other colors and so appear green. The effects you see caused by the lenses has more to do with hormonal triggers than by the plant actually getting energy from the other wave lengths. Red light tends to cause different growth patterns than blue light and as the season change the amount of each a plant gets changes, day length also plays a big part in plant growth. My answer to the rest of this could probably be answered better by some one else but I'll try. Photons are vibrating, their energy content determines the vibration rate or wave length.

And still what is it that causes heat, and why does the angle of the light seem to make a difference, you know coming through the north window, but not the south? The light is there but not the heat. What causes the heat? The ultra violet light doesn't get to the south window? (this really isn't an idol question. I have an apartment on the north side and get a lot of heat. I am moving to an apartment on the south side and I am really worried about the increased heat bill. I am trying to figure out if there is any possible way to compensate for this, besides paying more of electricity.) Can we excite the light in some way to create heat? :lol: My neighbors will really love me, if I experiment in my apartment and burn the whole building down.

I think you have this reverse, A south facing window should receive more light and heat than a north facing window, the photons cause the molecules to vibrate, this is what we feel as heat. The UV light doesn't reflect as well as the visible light so a North facing window should get less UV but more blue since the sky is blue, north light is always shifted toward the blue slightly.

We squint and also have a blink response, the iris opens and closes, and there's the interaction with the rods and cones, giving a nonlinear response to light levels, which allows it to operate over a fairly wide range of intensities. The danger, as mentioned above, is that light in the UV (and IR) does not trigger the iris or blink response, so you can damage the eye before you know what's going on. It's also a danger of cheap sunglasses (especially kids sunglasses) that don't block UV; the lower light levels open the iris, which makes the eye more susceptible to damage from the UV.

Geeze, how do you guys know all this stuff? I love you all because you do know so much, but each answer pushes my curiosity even further. What is really happening, when the UV sneaks past our defense system? And by the way, thanks for the explanation. I was wondering if it is really important to buy the more expensive sun glass and obviously the answer is yes! Hey, another eye defense, is growing catracs that eventually block out all light, so we really should buy the more expensive glasses. But the pushes the question of why? Why does ultra violet light trigger catracs that eventually blind us?

Also, I am thinking of the movie "The Elegant Universe". It has this guy appear to jump off a building to make a point about the strong force being stronger than gravity, because the molecules of the ground hold together and do not let the falling body pass through. It also questions the possibility of passing through walls. Neutrino can pass through anything, right? UV can pass through our defenses and damage our eyes. May be there is no connection, but I want to know why can UV get through undetected, but not the other parts of the light spectrum? But it is not totally undetected, because it will trigger the growth of catracs.

Geeze, how do you guys know all this stuff? I love you all because you do know so much, but each answer pushes my curiosity even further. What is really happening, when the UV sneaks past our defense system? And by the way, thanks for the explanation. I was wondering if it is really important to buy the more expensive sun glass and obviously the answer is yes! Hey, another eye defense, is growing catracs that eventually block out all light, so we really should buy the more expensive glasses. But the pushes the question of why? Why does ultra violet light trigger catracs that eventually blind us?

UV light is very energetic, it causes sunburn and can kill you, it burns the back of the eye and destroys the tissue that detects light and send the impulses to your brain, this tissue is very sensitive and does not heal when burned. UV also destroys the tissue of the lens causing it to become cloudy and and blocks out the visible light. Good sun glasses are not necessarily expensive, look for the UV protection rating , it is supposed to be on all sunglasses.

Also, I am thinking of the movie "The Elegant Universe". It has this guy appear to jump off a building to make a point about the strong force being stronger than gravity, because the molecules of the ground hold together and do not let the falling body pass through. It also questions the possibility of passing through walls. Neutrino can pass through anything, right? UV can pass through our defenses and damage our eyes. May be there is no connection, but I want to know why can UV get through undetected, but not the other parts of the light spectrum? But it is not totally undetected, because it will trigger the growth of catracs.

No connection between UV and neutrinos in the way you suggest. Your eyes are not capable of detecting UV light, UV light is too damaging to living tissue to be used as a light source (actually the very near UV is visible to some people, UV has it's own spectrum too, it's just shorter than visible light) UV is more penetrating due to it's higher energy compared to visible light. It clouds the lens of the eye because the lens is not as transparent to UV as it is to visible light, it absorbs some of the UV and this absorption of energy is what clouds the eyes lens.

675px-EM_Spectrum_Properties_edit.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum

Light is Electromagnetic radiation, from red to violet, is the EM radiation we can see, longer wave lengths are felt as heat, even longer wave lengths are microwaves, radio and other even longer waves. UV is short wave lengths, then it goes to x-rays then to gamma rays. Short wave length EM radiation is more energetic than long waves and is more harmful to the human body but if it is intense enough even long wave EM radiation can harm you, microwaves are used for cooking is an example.

Reflected light from the moon is far too weak to harm you but reflected light from snow is almost as intense as the direct sunlight. This happens because the moon is so far away and snow is right under your feet, also snow reflects far more light than the much darker moon does...

Actually, the lens thing is misleading, green plants use basically red and some blue light, plants absorb red and blue light (there are exception in algae and such but green complex plants use mostly those two wave lengths) they reflect the other colors and so appear green. The effects you see caused by the lenses has more to do with hormonal triggers than by the plant actually getting energy from the other wave lengths. Red light tends to cause different growth patterns than blue light and as the season change the amount of each a plant gets changes, day length also plays a big part in plant growth. My answer to the rest of this could probably be answered better by some one else but I'll try. Photons are vibrating, their energy content determines the vibration rate or wave length.

I think you have this reverse, A south facing window should receive more light and heat than a north facing window, the photons cause the molecules to vibrate, this is what we feel as heat. The UV light doesn't reflect as well as the visible light so a North facing window should get less UV but more blue since the sky is blue, north light is always shifted toward the blue slightly.

Amazing! There really is a logical explanation to my questions.

About reversing north and south, :lol: I am a hard core dyslexic. I once tried to be a bus driver for a company that picked up children and handicapped people, so a person had to know every street. Ah, you do not want a dyslexic person driving a bus. One of my passengers was so kind. When I turned right instead of left, he said, "no, your other left".

So the light triggers hormones. I knew that. But again, wasn't really getting the meaning of the fact.

And the moon absorbs light better than snow, and absorbed light is not reflected. The faster moving light is better at penetrating and of course, heat is produced as it moves through! Do I have that right? Slow moving light, the light on the north side, does not penetrate and is reflected, and therefore, does not cause heat. What is happening is the UV is sucked up, on the south side, and doesn't get to the north side, so the heat doesn't get there. Right?

Okay, now what makes one proton fast and another slow? I am thinking of "The Elegant Universe" again, and string theory. Light is like string theory isn't it? Some protons moving fast and some moving slow, some penetrating and some being absorb, depending on the speed. Why? what are some fast and some slow?

Geeze, how do you guys know all this stuff?

I work with lasers and want to continue having sight in both eyes. ;)

That would depend on where you live. That would be true in the north, especially north of the tropic of Cancer, but the original claim would be true in the south, especially south of the tropic of Capricorn.

And the moon absorbs light better than snow, and absorbed light is not reflected. The faster moving light is better at penetrating and of course, heat is produced as it moves through! Do I have that right? Slow moving light, the light on the north side, does not penetrate and is reflected, and therefore, does not cause heat. What is happening is the UV is sucked up, on the south side, and doesn't get to the north side, so the heat doesn't get there. Right?

Okay, now what makes one proton fast and another slow? I am thinking of "The Elegant Universe" again, and string theory. Light is like string theory isn't it? Some protons moving fast and some moving slow, some penetrating and some being absorb, depending on the speed. Why? what are some fast and some slow?

Light moves at the same speed (in a vacuum). Penetration ability is based on the likelihood the light will interact, which depends (in part) on the material it's hitting.

So if it takes 8 minutes or whatever for light from the sun to reach Earth then How can we see solar flares before the radiation hits earth. Both should be going at the speed of light, but we would see a solar flare and feel the effects minutes later? Also a theoretical question, if there are things moving faster than the speed of light, how would we ever know?

So if it takes 8 minutes or whatever for light from the sun to reach Earth then How can we see solar flares before the radiation hits earth. Both should be going at the speed of light, but we would see a solar flare and feel the effects minutes later? Also a theoretical question, if there are things moving faster than the speed of light, how would we ever know?

The radiation we're worried about from solar flares is from charged particles, which travel slower than c.

Things that move faster than light in a medium emit radiation. For hypothetical particles moving faster than c, I don't know if there's a mechanism by which we could detect them.

I work with lasers and want to continue having sight in both eyes. ;)

That would depend on where you live. That would be true in the north, especially north of the tropic of Cancer, but the original claim would be true in the south, especially south of the tropic of Capricorn.

Light moves at the same speed (in a vacuum). Penetration ability is based on the likelihood the light will interact, which depends (in part) on the material it's hitting.

Would you mind, explaining what you do with lasers and how this connects with concern for protecting your vision? I never thought much about laser beams doing harm, but in relation to what we are talking about here, I am curious. Can laser beams penetrate and cause heat of explosions like a Hollywood movie? Laser beams can be used to create holograms, right? I put my hand in a hologram picture and there was no heat, so are there different kinds of laser beams?

Would you mind, explaining what you do with lasers and how this connects with concern for protecting your vision? I never thought much about laser beams doing harm, but in relation to what we are talking about here, I am curious. Can laser beams penetrate and cause heat of explosions like a Hollywood movie? Laser beams can be used to create holograms, right? I put my hand in a hologram picture and there was no heat, so are there different kinds of laser beams?

Higher-power lasers can burn your skin, and since the light is well-collimated, can damage your retina if you catch it in the face. I was once burned on the arm by a focused beam of less than 1 Watt.

I trap atoms with lasers. The technique uses the radiation pressure to slow atoms down and manipulate them. At the moment, the reason for doing that is to build atomic clocks. Previously it was to study nuclear symmetry characteristics in radioactive decay, and prior to that it was atom optics (building an atom interferometer)

Higher-power lasers can burn your skin, and since the light is well-collimated, can damage your retina if you catch it in the face. I was once burned on the arm by a focused beam of less than 1 Watt.

I trap atoms with lasers. The technique uses the radiation pressure to slow atoms down and manipulate them. At the moment, the reason for doing that is to build atomic clocks. Previously it was to study nuclear symmetry characteristics in radioactive decay, and prior to that it was atom optics (building an atom interferometer)

Wow, I feel like an old time farmer with dirt under my finger nails. What you are doing should be a PBS show, so the rest of the world can know what you are doing, and where our technology. The government may stop funding PBS complete, when what it should be doing is educating the masses who are left far behind. May be in Portland, Oregon people know of such jobs, but not in the rest of Oregon. Nothing could bring us up to speed better than PBS and I sincerely thank you for helping me realize this. Now I must communicate that to my representative. I hope others communicate a need to improve PBS and support it, to bring us all into the future.

Edited by Athena

My goodness, Moontanman, reading your fuller description of the eye damage caused by UV makes me regret I did not take better care of my eyes in the past. I have neighbors loosing their vision and what you posted seems to explain why "it burns the back of the eye and destroys the tissue that detects light and send the impulses to your brain." I know for sure I need much better lighting than I did when I was young.

Is it as important to wear sun glasses in the winter as in the summer? I am thinking because UV rays cause heat, on cold days we are safe. But obviously on a hot, sunny summer day we need to protect our eyes. I only recently started using sun glasses and have been careless. I knew about the catracs but not the more serious damage. I think this year I will take protecting my eyes more seriously.

My goodness, Moontanman, reading your fuller description of the eye damage caused by UV makes me regret I did not take better care of my eyes in the past. I have neighbors loosing their vision and what you posted seems to explain why "it burns the back of the eye and destroys the tissue that detects light and send the impulses to your brain." I know for sure I need much better lighting than I did when I was young.

Is it as important to wear sun glasses in the winter as in the summer? I am thinking because UV rays cause heat, on cold days we are safe. But obviously on a hot, sunny summer day we need to protect our eyes. I only recently started using sun glasses and have been careless. I knew about the catracs but not the more serious damage. I think this year I will take protecting my eyes more seriously.

UV rays do not cause heat in the way you suggest, yes it is important to wear sunglasses in the winter, if anything the cold causes you not to notice the sun as much but the UV is still there.

UV light is very energetic, it causes sunburn and can kill you, it burns the back of the eye and destroys the tissue that detects light and send the impulses to your brain, this tissue is very sensitive and does not heal when burned. UV also destroys the tissue of the lens causing it to become cloudy and and blocks out the visible light. Good sun glasses are not necessarily expensive, look for the UV protection rating , it is supposed to be on all sunglasses.

No connection between UV and neutrinos in the way you suggest. Your eyes are not capable of detecting UV light, UV light is too damaging to living tissue to be used as a light source (actually the very near UV is visible to some people, UV has it's own spectrum too, it's just shorter than visible light) UV is more penetrating due to it's higher energy compared to visible light. It clouds the lens of the eye because the lens is not as transparent to UV as it is to visible light, it absorbs some of the UV and this absorption of energy is what clouds the eyes lens.

675px-EM_Spectrum_Properties_edit.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia....gnetic_spectrum

It says at the high temperatures, gamma rays are emitted, but then why did the ultra-violate catastrohpy occur? Weren't objects only suppose to emit mostly UV or x-rays past a certain point from thermal energy?

It says at the high temperatures, gamma rays are emitted, but then why did the ultra-violate catastrohpy occur? Weren't objects only suppose to emit mostly UV or x-rays past a certain point from thermal energy?

The UV catastrophe was an application of a classical concept, the equipartition of energy, to a quantized system (standing wave cavity). Blackbody radiation is a quantum theory; it works.

UV rays do not cause heat in the way you suggest

UV doesn't "cause" heat at all, because heat is energy transfer. A small part of the energy transfer from the sun is in the UV.

I think it's fair to point out that the natural defences of the eye (the iris, squinting and blinking) do a very good job of protecting it against the sun.

Sunglasses may make sunny days more comfortable, but they eye is pretty safe without them. We evolved to cope with a lifetime of sunshine (and we probably did it somewhere sunnier than most of us now live).

Most of the sun's energy is visible light, rather than UV, so acute UV injury from sunlight is unlikely unless you are wearing cheap sunglasses.

The UV will cause some degradation of the eye- just as it does with the skin. I suspect that your eyes are not what they once were, simply because you are a bit older.

It might be helpful to distinguish between the effect of too much energy being dissipated at the back of the eye - which heats it and damages it- and this sort of damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-energy_visible_light

I think it's fair to point out that the natural defences of the eye (the iris, squinting and blinking) do a very good job of protecting it against the sun.

Sunglasses may make sunny days more comfortable, but they eye is pretty safe without them. We evolved to cope with a lifetime of sunshine (and we probably did it somewhere sunnier than most of us now live).

Most of the sun's energy is visible light, rather than UV, so acute UV injury from sunlight is unlikely unless you are wearing cheap sunglasses.

The UV will cause some degradation of the eye- just as it does with the skin. I suspect that your eyes are not what they once were, simply because you are a bit older.

It might be helpful to distinguish between the effect of too much energy being dissipated at the back of the eye - which heats it and damages it- and this sort of damage.

http://en.wikipedia....y_visible_light

Thanks John, I read the link and followed it to another. I will be buying the best sun glasses on the market.

For those who don't want to read the link, children are at greater risk of sun damage to their eyes, because they are not already damaged. To a point sun damage to the lens causes a yellowing of the lens and increases our protection. Of course when this reaches the stage of cataracts it is not a good thing. Also, as we age we loose melanin which also helps protect our eyes from sun damage, and again we need more protection.

Also, want to say with a bit of frustration, that UV is broken into several different UV degrees. Like sometimes things get too complex. I am reminded of Socrates who gave up on science, because it lead to the study of smaller and smaller things, until coming to the atom, and as Socrates suspected, even the atom is not the end of studying small things.

The UV catastrophe was an application of a classical concept, the equipartition of energy, to a quantized system (standing wave cavity). Blackbody radiation is a quantum theory; it works.

UV doesn't "cause" heat at all, because heat is energy transfer. A small part of the energy transfer from the sun is in the UV.

Okay, I was able to google that transfer of energy. This appears to be a site for children, and that is what I need to understand things. http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/wcee/keep/Mod1/Rules/EnTransfer.htm

Here it says heat is a measure of how fast molecules are moving.

Now here comes the confusion again. Isn't all light photons? So when we name them we are talking about the speed they moving, not really different things? Then faster moving photons are carrying more transferred heat from the sun than slow moving photons? Or us there something else that makes the UV different besides speed? Why would one photon carry more transferred heat from the sun than slow moving photons? That is, if it is only transferred heat, why the difference?

Annoying kid