Does GOD really exist?

rigney

Well, I'm not going to contridict a word you say, just question. But when you see bold type, it will be your annotations. And really, my questioning will not be trying to trap you into something you're no comfortable with. And religion, I would rather it had not been part of the post, but it was the statemen I saw. I was searching through google and ran across the item and it looked interesting. But your statements: I reject the premise that everything had a start or that that suggestion is even based on evidence? What does that mean in layman terms? Then your second statement: Secondly, there is strong evidence against god: the entirety of science, all of which works fine without god. A god is unnecessary, provides no predictive value, is extra... and that's at best. Me? I'm not concerned by a hypothesis in either direction. Just looking for some subtle truths. Preachers and televangelist's scare hell out of me. But so does unnecessary intrensic and unfounded rhetoric.

There is in fact no truth in religious dogma rigney, only faith and belief, doesn't nesesarrily mean there is no God, only there is no evidence to support that belief.

Personally the problem I have with religion is that evidence is actually ignored in favor of dogma, no matter how thick the contradictions become religion sticks to it's dogma, it's a dangerous game to play with reality IMHO. Religion offers no discription of the real world that is supported by evidence, science offers plenty of real world discriptions that work quite well, god has offered nothing to help us in the real world, no pain meds, no antibiotics, no technology, nothing that helps in the real world, not even a discription of the real world we can point to and say God told us this and it was true, I think this is quite telling...

Edited by Moontanman

Not the same thing at all, dogma does not change, religion is embracing the idea of the big bang because it agrees with their dogma, dogma does not change with the evidence, science does, and cosmological theroy is subject to change as is any other scientific theory.

Again Dogma is not based in evidence, science is, dogma doesn't change with the evidence, science theories do.

Yes this is the way science works, not the dogma of religion.

Maybe I misunderstood you (or am getting in over my head) but embracing the idea of the big bang because it agrees with dogma is not the same thing as changing dogma. I don't believe the church is convening an ecumenical council to add the big bang to church dogma. So if it turns out the big bang did not occur, then the church is not required to change dogma.

Christian dogma includes:

"We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen."

If it turns out heaven and earth was not created in the big bang because the big bang did not occur, then the church can just look for some other evidence of the creation of heaven and earth. The dogma does not change.

Edited by zapatos

Is there a tutorial or something on this site on how to use its features?

I wasn't talking to you, but I think there might actually be some sort of thing.

edit: we had one at some point, but it seems to not exist any longer

Edited by ydoaPs

I wasn't talking to you, but I think there might actually be some sort of thing.

edit: we had one at some point, but it seems to not exist any longer

Thinking that may have been for my benefit, I would appreciate you giving a tutorial on that (quote thing), bringing new folks and myself up to square one. I got on forum in late May of 2010 and hacked around a bit trying to get my feet firmely set. No, I never did learn to use the quote feature since it was in transition at that time and I am not really that sharp at anything anymore. But I'm sure, after watching my inadequacy for a bit; some one will explain the system to me, and how it works. Just no pity parties please! Thanks. Edited by rigney

The forum uses a system called BBCode which is similar to Hypertext Markup Language(or html). It uses what we call "tags" to modify the text of a post. To modify the text, you must have the text you desire to be modified between the "open tag" and the "close tag". The difference between open tags and close tags visually is that the close tags start with a /. You can see the difference when I show you a few of the more common tags in the next sentence. There are various tags that are used such as the tags used to make text bolded, the tags which italicize text, the tags which underline text, the [noparse][/noparse] tags which I used to that you can see the other tags, and the

tags which place text in a
quote box
so that readers can more easily distinguish quotes from the main text of a post.

The quote tags are a bit more complicated than most of the other tags in that they have more than one part.

quoted text
renders as:
quoted text

You can see that the second part of the quote tags is what designates which user is being quoted. If you use the quote button in the bottom righthand corner of a post, the name is inserted for you. Notice that you only put the second part of the quote tag in the open tag; it is implied in the quote tag, so you don't put it there. The second portion of the tag is rather simple it is merely name="quoted person". Be sure to put the person's name in quotes.

We also have a mulitquote feature. If you click the multiquote button on the bottom righthand corner of multiple posts and then click the add reply button, then the forum software will insert the text of each post you wanted quoted into the proper quote tags.

One last useful tag is the link tag. This renders as This. As with the second portion of the quote tag, remember to put the website address in quotes.

The tags I just went over as well as a few others are made into tools that you can use in both the Fast Reply and the Advanced Reply modes should you not with to type out the tags manually.

We also have math tags, but there is already a tutorial for that. If you want to learn more about it, use the site's search function to search for "LaTeX tutorial".

Edited by ydoaPs

The quote tags are a bit more complicated than most of the other tags in that they have more than one part. [/noparse] renders as:

You can see that the second part of the quote tags is what designates which user is being quoted. If you use the quote button in the bottom righthand corner of a post, the name is inserted for you. Notice that you only put the second part of the quote tag in the open tag; it is implied in the quote tag, so you don't put it there. The second portion of the tag is rather simple it is merely name="quoted person". Be sure to put the person's name in quotes.

We also have a mulitquote feature. If you click the multiquote button on the bottom righthand corner of multiple posts and then click the add reply button, then the forum software will insert the text of each post you wanted quoted into the proper quote tags.

One last useful tag is the link tag. [noparse]This renders as This. As with the second portion of the quote tag, remember to put the website address in quotes.

The tags I just went over as well as a few others are made into tools that you can use in both the Fast Reply and the Advanced Reply modes should you not with to type out the tags manually.

We also have math tags, but there is already a tutorial for that. If you want to learn more about it, use the site's search function to search for "LaTeX tutorial".

Taught me some new things. Thanks!

The forum uses a system called BBCode which is similar to Hypertext Markup Language(or html). It uses what we call "tags" to modify the text of a post. To modify the text, you must have the text you desire to be modified between the "open tag" and the "close tag". The difference between open tags and close tags visually is that the close tags start with a /. You can see the difference when I show you a few of the more common tags in the next sentence. There are various tags that are used such as the tags used to make text bolded, the tags which italicize text, the tags which underline text, the [/noparse] tags which I used to that you can see the other tags, and the tags which place text in a so that readers can more easily distinguish quotes from the main text of a post.

The quote tags are a bit more complicated than most of the other tags in that they have more than one part. [noparse] renders as:

One last useful tag is the link tag. This renders as This. As with the second portion of the quote tag, remember to put the website address in quotes.

I'm gonna work on it, and thanks. I have never been into computers, and typing is a chore for me at best. Went to typing class for ten days in Heidelberg, Germany back in 1953. The teach then threw me and 3 WACS out. I'll leave it go at that. My best ability is probably 12/15 words a minute, cheating to the + side. Put up with me for a bit and I'll try getting it right. Thanks again. Edited by rigney