A thread at rationalskepticism.org on gay marriage

Severian

I visited the Rational Skeptics site several months ago, as it was a "sister site" to this one. I even posted there, I think once. But it was not my cuppa tea. When I want rational skepticism, I come here. :D When I want deluded, insubstantial bashing I go to other sites. (In defense of Ratskep...they did have a couple of interesting threads, though. Just not enough.)

But Severian...I have to ask you...why did you not PM a mod earlier on? Or did you? I think that there should be user accountability that is cooperative with mod responsibility.

Posting a complaint in a thread is not the best way to be heard when you are getting misrepresented and gangbanged. And you were. I think that such strawmanning tactics takes enormous creativity...I must admit I haven't quite seen the like. And if you look at the posters' history of who were performing the act, it certainly isn't new. Yuck.

I am mostly a lurker here. I do purview the science sub-forums...I read them to expand my knowledge...is that okay if I do not always participate?

One of the things that I like about this site is its commitment to quality. Quality over quantity.

B)

Edited by divagreen

But Severian...I have to ask you...why did you not PM a mod earlier on? Or did you? I think that there should be user accountability that is cooperative with mod responsibility.

I reported (using the report post button) about 20 posts or so in the thread (over the time period of the postings). All the reports were cancelled without comment.

I reported (using the report post button) about 20 posts or so in the thread (over the time period of the postings). All the reports were cancelled without comment.

That happens here, quite recently I have reported posts and received no response what so ever...

That happens here, quite recently I have reported posts and received no response what so ever...

The staff is not obligated to notify you of any action taken in regard to a report that you generate. The report button, afaik, simply generates a notification. Upon being notified, the staff will investigate(and deliberate) and, if needed, take action that they deem is necessary. You thinking a post violated our rules does not necessitate the staff thinking the same.

The staff is not obligated to notify you of any action taken in regard to a report that you generate. The report button, afaik, simply generates a notification. Upon being notified, the staff will investigate(and deliberate) and, if needed, take action that they deem is necessary. You thinking a post violated our rules does not necessitate the staff thinking the same.

And I agree with the spirit of the part that is bolded...but surely with as many staff as involved (mods and admins), a PM would be helpful to explain to the reporter as to why that is not a rule violation? Everyone wins...the reporter has a clearer understanding of the rules and the mod has done their duty as far as explaining the interpretation of the rules and their enforcement on the site.

Having said that...

I think that this site's moderating is pretty stellar compared to the moderating on other sites of special interest groups.

Comparing this site to Rat Skept, is like comparing apples to balloons...there are some good threads (Rat Skept)...but there are also posts that violate the ethos of the site, as far as I am concern. Not to mention the rules. Rational skepticism does not equate with irrational derision. And that is what I have found there.

What I have encountered with rule violation is that people either think that they are above the rules or they don't understand the interpretation and enforcement of them. A moderator should find the time to help them out, IMO.

Speaking of which...I know we have at least one RatSkept mod on here...

Hello! Mod over at Rational Skepticism, just signed up here. Sorry I am late! :embarass:

Seems like you have a great forum here! Keep up the good work!

(Oh, I'll be lurking here, mostly, as RatSkep takes up quite a bit of my time.)

Stijn

If anybody knows him/her, I would be curious as to how they might weigh in on the discussion.

While I don't think that every reported post should be acknowledged when it is personal and one person is harassing another by questioning their intelligence, education and their rep points and insinuating their rep points are undeserved I think an acknowledgment is in line. But thats just me, and I'm an uneducated idiot so WTF.