Hydrogen Peroxide

here's my line of though:

H2O2 --> H2O --> D2O

D20 = is water but but with deuterium instead of hydrogen. [deuterium is an isotope of H]

this is know as 'heavy water' and is commonly found in nuclear reactors, however, what is different about this 'water' which makes it better for atomic reactions?

so far ive found that:

you find D2O in 1 in 20 million water molecules,

its a moderator* for the atomic chain reaction &

its a good heat transferer

*the function of the moderator is to slow down the emitted neutrons.

but why is D2O any better than H2O?

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What????

i really dont see where you are pointing to? can you post a linky or sumin?

if you are talking about changin the topic, then nice point, however conversations evolve, and as its my thread, i cant see why [when its realted] i cant talk about heavy water.

What????

i really dont see where you are pointing to? can you post a linky or sumin?

if you are talking about changin the topic' date=' then nice point, however conversations evolve, and as its my thread, i cant see why [when its realted'] i cant talk about heavy water.

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=6206

Its just that some of it could be illegal or dangerous and some of that is in there.

Edit to add

Great thread I have enjoyed it a lot so I wish it to continue even if you have to start using disclaimers. :D

Title 13: Posting of Hazardous Information

Content relating to hazardous procedures and/or chemicals may be posted if it:

a) Conforms to Title 2' date='

b) Is legal to disclose to the general public under the laws of the United States,

c) Contains a warning as to the potential hazards,

and d) Contains notification if it is illegal to perform described procedure(s).

[/quote']

so basically: its legal to talk about making something [free speech], its fairly obvious that there are hazards involved, as that is the point of the conversation [the discussion of possibly hazardous chemcicals] i dont think that making a chemical compound is illegal.

now, back to the original:

here's my line of though:

H2O2 --> H2O --> D2O

D20 = is water but but with deuterium instead of hydrogen. [deuterium is an isotope of H]

this is know as 'heavy water' and is commonly found in nuclear reactors' date=' however, what is different about this 'water' which makes it better for atomic reactions?

so far ive found that:

you find D2O in 1 in 20 million water molecules,

its a moderator* for the atomic chain reaction &

its a good heat transferer

*the function of the moderator is to slow down the emitted neutrons.

but why is D2O any better than H2O?[/quote']

"H2O2 --> H2O --> D2O"

Errr... Do you mean H2O2 + H2O = D2O? I can't see that happening, since you had to make a neutron out of somewhere and have it accompany the lonely proton of the hydrogen-1 to make it hydrogen-2.

"but why is D2O any better than H2O?"

It's... heavy. :) It's fun to A) cool reactors with it, as you said B) make ice cubes out of it (it sinks in water, hence the name heavy water). Heavy water is a great addition to any element collection. It's not even hazardous (at least not too hazardous), and not radioactive like tritium.

"Not to spoil anybodys fun but read forum info by blike."

Piranha bath? Yes, bud stated that it's rather dangerous (and it has been stated several times that it reacts violently and dissolves your freaking hand in a couple of seconds. :P ).

what i meant was that we were talking about H2O2, which is similar to H2O, which is similar to D2O, i said that to stop people thinking 'this is irrelevant and a bit random'

why is it better at cooling reactors than normal water?

whys it good to make ice cubes from? whats different about it, other than the fact that its heavier than water?

Well, at least it's fun to bet your friend for 5€ or so for "will the ice cube sink or not". :) And for cooling, it has a higher boiling point. And by the way, the cooling rods (usually cobalt or so) are a nuclear reactor's actual moderators. The D2O is just for the cooling I guess, not to moderate the chain reaction.

Cobalt is also a nice thing to cover an atomic bomb with; it transforms into isotope 60 taking enhanced fallout to whole new level. And I do know that cobalt-60 is used in food sterilisation.

David Hahn a.k.a. the Radioactive Boyscout. :) The guy who built his own breeder reactor (in his stepmother's garden shed :> ).

It certainly sucks. "Ooh looky, nice calcium. Let's take it to the bone! YAY!" Same thing with radium too, if I'm correct. The guys who painted antique clock hands with radium paint actually licked the brushes to make a sharp point. It's told that when it was a dark night, you could recognize a clockpainter for his glowing teeth and hair. :<

this is indeed true, also there was an extremely high incidence of Jaw cancer amongst these workers :(

just of topic a little, ever wonder where the saying "mad as a hatter" came from?

years ago the brims of the tall hats were made with Lead in the middle for the weight and the fit, eventualy the lead poisoning sent them "Mad".

quite true!

Heh, a fun fact, that hatter thing. :) I think the Romans made a sweet syrup called "sapa" by boiling soured wine in lead pots, making it rich in lead acetate. So, lead lead to lead poisoning amongst Roman aristocrats.

Remember kids: No matter how sweet something may taste, don't eat it if it's packed with lead. :)

If I remember correctly, Lincoln (or someone of the US presidents) had false teeth made of a lead (or some lead compound). Yipes.